+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How long on Coumadin?  (Read 2338 times)

tricky

How long on Coumadin?
« on: May 31, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
I'm curious about the length of time others have been on Coumadin post surgery.  My Dr. wants me on it for a month which seems a little long, given that I am up and about regularly and walking several times a day.  I know the risk of clots is real, but I hate taking any medicine longer than absolutely necessary.  I'd be interested in other's experience or opinion in this area.  Thanks.

Jeff

Re: How long on Coumadin?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 11:28:37 PM »
Hi Tricky,
     I'm 7 weeks post op (LBHR).  I had a different medication for blood thinning called Fragmin, & I had to administer it every day for 20 days post op.  I am having a normal and/or a somewhat speedy recovery, especially the first 4 weeks.  I am told by my doctor and others that, the number one post op issue, or a frequent post op issue with resurfacing is DVT (deep vein thrombosis) which can lead to more serious blood clots in lungs etc.  This is a serious issue and if I were you I would pay close attention to your doctor's orders with regards to blood thinners and follow all protocol to the letter, you won't regret it.  Some doctors prescribe Coumadin, others Fragmin.  You may think it is over precautionary, but it IS precautionary, not overly so, for good reason.  Research this site and you find others who have addressed this issue.  It must be taken very seriously.  Pat can even tell you of her experience with this issue as well. 

Good Luck!

Jeff

resurface

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 08:30:20 AM »
Tricky

I am on aspirin since my surgery (5/6/2010) for 30 days.  Again, seems that there are many treatment protocols following surgery. 

Resurface....

jack

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 10:08:11 AM »
Resurface,

What mg and how often are you taking aspirin?
Right BHR by Dr. Clarke  5-19-10

My BHR Story

resurface

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 12:02:11 PM »
Tricky

325mg. Once daily [usually in the am]. My first post-op visit with my surgeon is 6/9.  I plan to ask if I should continue or not. 

Resurface...

moe

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 06:40:03 PM »
I was on Coumadin for six weeks. I would listen to your doc.
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

ginnie

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 05:50:35 PM »
I was on coumadin for 3 weeks (along with TED stockings) and then asprin for 3 weeks for my first one.  this next one doc uses lovenox injections.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear