+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Another Bilateral story about to begin  (Read 3984 times)

ByTor

Another Bilateral story about to begin
« on: June 06, 2010, 04:16:38 PM »
Hi all,
   I'm new to the site, though I've been lurking for a few months. I'm about to do my LBHR with Dr. Philip Schmitt in metro Detroit. He's done ~700 BHRs so far, and according to his office he's got a great success rate - only 6 failures/revisions.

I apparently was born with femoracetabular impingement & have arthritis (10y+ at 41 y.o), and over the last year or so it's degraded on the left side to where I can't easily lift the leg up stairs, or do the other stuff ya'll know full well about. It got down to bone-on-bone, and through my anti-inflammatories & light pain meds, it's been pretty tolerable, so to speak.

So this Friday, 6/11/2010, I'll have the left hip done, followed on 8/13 by the right one. The main reason for not doing both at once was that Dr. Schmitt goes in through the side (lateral?) rather than posterior approaches, and he didn't want to "roll me up on the stitches" to do the right side. He also practices at a suburban hospital that's not very convenient for my wife & kids to visit (~40 miles from the house). Once a month, he does surgery at a hospital closer to my house (~4 miles), so that's what I'm doing.

Going in, he's saying I'll be out of work/driving for 3 weeks. I'll be back at work for 5 weeks, then out for 3 with the right side.

Looking forward to getting some relief. I've been working on a lot of stuff the last two weekends (shrub removals, lawn, oil changes, etc) to try and get that all done before I start rehabbing.

As the Bud Lite (IIRC) commercial says, "here we go..."

Peace,
-Jim
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 04:25:03 PM by ByTor »
LBHR: 6/11/2010, Dr. Schmitt
RBHR: 8/13/2010, Dr. Schmitt

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Another Bilateral story about to begin
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 09:40:36 PM »
Hi Jim

Welcome to Hip Talk.  We will all keep you in our thoughts and prayers on Friday.  Keep in touch when you can. We are always interested in how people are doing with their new hip resurfacings.  This is also a great, supportive group if you have any questions.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

ByTor

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 10:37:38 AM »
One down, one to go. I'll make a post about where I am right now (T+ 4 days) in one of the other forums.

ByTor

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 03:16:01 PM »
4 weeks out from BHR #1, and recovery's been incredible. I've been walking unassisted for ~2wks now, back to work this week, and feeling great. Muscles are weak, which in some ways is surprising but other ways not so much. After all, I didn't use the left leg muscles all that much in the last year due to RoM issues. Even the incision scarring is receding nicely. I can't say enough good things about Dr. Schmitt from Commerce Twp, MI.

Stability's really good, except for climbing stairs - that's when I really notice the weakness. I'm looking forward to getting the other one done on 8/13 and finishing up my return to being a semi-normal human being. :lol:

ByTor

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 12:12:30 PM »
2nd one down - now a full-fledged bilateral hippy!

My right leg's recovery was much more difficult over the first 2 weeks than the left one was. Not sure why, and Dr. Schmitt (aka "The Wizard" according to my wife) said every leg is different. The right was much more painful at the outset, and swelling took longer to go down, even though the bruising wasn't nearly as bad.

At this point, I'm ready to return to work tomorrow, with only a slight limp from stiffness still on the right side, and using PT to knock that out. Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
Jim

Glad to hear both are done and you are back to work.  I am sorry I haven't posted, but am recovering from open heart surgery 3 months ago.  I hope you will post again when you are fully active again.  Good Luck.  Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat