+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Going on 5 Week PO  (Read 1311 times)

tcarroll

Going on 5 Week PO
« on: June 06, 2010, 07:38:13 PM »
Anybody out there in the same boat?If so what can you do so far?Just curious?

Thank's
Tim

Hip-Bob

Re: Going on 5 Week PO
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 04:51:13 AM »
Hi Tim

I'm just a tad further on than that (8 weeks), but clearly remember where I was at 5 weeks as my PO follow-up with my surgeon was just a couple of days before that.  By that time I was walking 3 - 5 miles per day using a single walking pole, totally off pain meds, sleeping well (on my un-operated side from week 3) and getting bored at home.  

I left the consultation being told I can go back to work, lose the walking pole and the TET stockings (just when I was able to put them on myself for myself) and start PT.  So that's what I did.

I went straight back to work that afternoon which entails a daily commute of about 75 mins on train and undergound.  I'm being VERY careful not to trip on kerbs etc, and so far so good.  My job is desk based and I'm making sure I get-up and walk around at least every hour.

Other milestones?  I cut my own toe nails (OK too much info!) at about 6 weeks, and worked all weekend in the garden (yard), for the first time in years, this last weekend just gone.

Next milestone?  I've booked to go upto the Lake District later this month for some camping and (light) hiking.  (It was in January 2010 when, reaising I hadn't been hiking since 2008, that I finally decided to get my hip sorted.)

Finally, I know from reading this forum folks progress at varying paces and I'd echo the advice given to me, listen to your body and don't over do it!

Good luck

Bob

resurface

Re: Going on 5 Week PO
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 05:57:10 AM »
Tim

Hi.  Glad to hear that you are doing well.  I had my rt hip done on May 6, so 5 weeks is this Thurs.  Once I see my doc this Wed I can add more.  So far so good.  Similar experience to Tim.  I don't walk as much him as I am trying to get my legs back for cycling.  I am on the bike 50 mins a day depending on how I feel.   I am staying with a very structured rehab program that has me at the PT twice a week with me dong at home on the other days.  I can put my socks on and tie my shoes... previous pain is all gone but I do have some new ones.  Mainly muscles that we are stretching in a new direction.  I think that it is all normal.  I usually do my cycling after all my exercises.  A few times I was sore and didn't stop riding and this was not the highlight of my night! So I agree with Tim... listen to your body. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear