+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: the other hip  (Read 1466 times)

ptaylor

the other hip
« on: June 07, 2010, 04:40:08 PM »
hi
im based in the uk and had a rbhr on 1st april. In the UK bilateral is not an option even though i am fit and i couldnt decide which hip to do. the docs advice was to do the one that hurt most. during my rehab the left hip didnt seem bad but im now thinking that that was due to being relatively inactive. when i go walking now the left hip is sore and im thinking i will need to get the left one done. what i would like to know is has this happened to anyone else and is there a minimum time requirement between hip resurfacing ?
thanks
phil

Tekka

Re: the other hip
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 05:58:39 PM »
Hi Phil,

Who was your surgeon mate !!

Lots of people do have bi-lateral and are fine. It is a tough op, not sure I would want both done at the same time. My right hip was sore after my lbhr because of the weight I was putting on it...so your left hip may improve a little.

Speak to your surgeon and he should give you some advice .

Good luck with your recovery, take it steady.

Best Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 09:16:02 AM »
Hi

The time between two hip resurfacings is up to your doctor.  Many people do them together, while others wait a week to many weeks between.  It is all up to the surgeon you use.  They decide how long to wait.  The surgeon will also have to look at your x-rays to see what shape your other hip is now in.  Sometimes you pain is not the indicator of whether it is time to resurface your hip.  Also you can wait too long and miss the window of opportunity to have another resurfacing.

Use your surgeon and ask questions.  He/she will have the answers for you.

Good Luck.  I hope your recovery continues to go well.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

ginnie

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 01:14:36 PM »
The same thing happened to me ,, But I waited 2 years and am going for my second hip at the end of the month. Really its up to how long you want to wait,, I know personally the first surgery scared me to death ,, so I have put it off for far to long and am on a crutch most of the time now. good luck.

roosevelt heights

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 01:02:27 PM »
PTaylor,

I had bilat this year, in Feb 2010 and April 2010, 8 weeks apart. Speak with your surgeon. These procedures can be emotionally and taxing for you and/or your family. As I no longer feel any pain in either joint, it is the best decision I could have made to get them done so close to each other. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear