+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: cramping before surgery  (Read 1434 times)

danebuxbaum

cramping before surgery
« on: June 11, 2010, 10:38:13 AM »
About a year ago, before I actually started experiencing constant pain associated with walking, I began to develop a tendency to cramp in my right thigh - the side that needs hip resurfacing. The cramp always occurs at night in bed with seemingly no provocation.   I can sometimes even feel a hardness where the cramp originates kind of like the muscle there is tied in a knot and desperately needs to relax but cannot fully do so. I now know how to avoid it when I feel the sensation coming on but I can't help but wonder if it is related to he bad hip and the avoidance of certain muscles when I walk and the misuse of others as I try to compensate. I am scheduled to get a RBHH replacement with Dr. Brooks in late July. I have asked his assistant Phil if he has ever heard of this and the answer was negative. I am also afraid that it might present during surgery.

Does anyone have a similar experience and/or knowledge of the likely cause for this?

Lopsided

Re: cramping before surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 10:41:49 AM »
I am also afraid that it might present during surgery.

Tell your anesthetist about this before surgery, and he will ensure there is no problem.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Margie

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 11:56:23 AM »
I do not know the cause, but I do know that I had the same problem in both legs. I would cramp in almost every muscle at different times in both legs for years. The cramps would be so bad at night they would take my breath away. I worried about being in a bed after surgery and how I would deal with the cramps when they happened. Happy to  tell you that I never did get even one after the surgery.It has been 2 and a half months cramp free! I also can not tell you why they went away. Maybe the exercises after surgery helped or the difference in the way I walk now, I don't know why, but they are gone.
Hope you have the same out come. Good luck and let us know how you do. I would be interested to see if yours go away too. I think more people out there probably have the same issue.
RBHR Dr. Clarke 3/17/10

danebuxbaum

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 11:52:26 AM »
Thanks for the replies folks. I figure the muscles get so relaxed under anesthesia that they forget how to cramp. Never thought about post op cramping, but like I said, I can usually avoid them when I feel them creeping up. I can't wait to get this over with. I am going to be the model rehab patient.

fenceman

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 10:32:54 AM »
Before surgery I had my hip lock-up a couple times.  I had some cramping hit when this happened.  No problems after surgery.

Your in good hands with Dr. Books.  He did mine in August of 08.  Good luck. 
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz