+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: BHR effect on airport metal detectors?  (Read 2406 times)

tricky

BHR effect on airport metal detectors?
« on: June 13, 2010, 10:25:18 PM »
  Do BHR devices set off airport metal detectors?  If so, what is the follow on action?  Does it help to carry some sort of note from the Dr. stating that you have had a hip replacement? I would imagine that this subject has been dealt with before but I could not find an answer as I perused the site. I will be going to the airport shortly, and would really like to know what (further) hassles might be in store for me at security screening. Thanks for sharing any of your experiences in this area.

B.I.L.L.

Re: BHR effect on airport metal detectors?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 03:48:44 AM »
  Do BHR devices set off airport metal detectors?  If so, what is the follow on action?  Does it help to carry some sort of note from the Dr. stating that you have had a hip replacement? I would imagine that this subject has been dealt with before but I could not find an answer as I perused the site. I will be going to the airport shortly, and would really like to know what (further) hassles might be in store for me at security screening. Thanks for sharing any of your experiences in this area.

Yes, they set off the detectors.  No, they don't care about Dr. notes cause they can be forged.  My experience was they pull you out of line after the thing beeps and use the wand on you. It is less hassle than taking your'e shoes on and off five times haha. After the first couple times I learned to point at my hip before the thing even went off, they're used to it, it's not that big of a deal 8)

atbower

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 10:19:51 AM »
The Cleveland Clinic gave me a wallet sized card to carry with the info on it.
Ann

fenceman

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 10:22:25 AM »
Bill is right.  Get use to the extra screening.  The Cleveland Clinic also gave me a real nice card with info on it but you might as well leave it at home.  They do not want to see it.  I always get a funny look from the screener when I tell them I have a metal hip after the metal detector beeps (being a young 46).  Just give yourself plenty of time to go through the screening to get to your plane.  

We went on a cruise last year and the metal detector to get on the ship did not go off.  It must not be as sensitive as the airport one (or maybe it doesn't work :)).  I have never walked through an airport metal detector without it going off.

Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

muzza

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 05:02:42 PM »
I've had both hips done and travel quite a lot. I always set off the detector but then just point to the hips. I then get pulled aside and they run the wand over me and maybe feel around the hip areas. With so many people having metal joints in their bodies they're well used to it at the airports. I've never bothered to get any documentation from my surgeon and no one has ever asked for any.

Neil

Tarhoo2

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 07:18:11 PM »
I live in the DC area and fly in and out of Dulles and National.  I've had both hips resurfaced and have a card from my orthopaedist, but it doesn't make any difference one way or the other.  I stand in line with everybody else, set the metal detector off and get directed to the "corral."  They wand me and I'm on my way.  Plan on 5-10 extra minutes.

shipnc

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 09:02:32 PM »
Thanks for the info.....just one more joy to airline travel!

wayne-0

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 09:43:52 PM »
Best thing to do at the airport is if they have a full body scan tell the screener you want to go in that machine. It is faster and they can see the implants thus no secondary search. Not all airports have them yet.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

ginnie

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 12:36:26 PM »
Yeah they stopped me in both LAX and Orlando .. I just tell them .. then they pull you aside and wand you ,, no big deal .. my friends got a real kick out of it !!  :)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat