+-

Advertisements

Author Topic: 3 Weeks Post Op Swelling  (Read 2398 times)

nicole

3 Weeks Post Op Swelling
« on: October 14, 2007, 12:42:48 AM »
Hi,
I just had hip resurfacing almost three weeks ago. I am doing well and have gone to two PT sessions. My PT has had me on a pilates machine, a recumbant bike and an eliptiglider.  I think you would do really well on an eliptiglider - you might try that instead of squats.  Like you, I am really anxious to get back to working out. I tried to get on my bike that I set up on a trainer but couldn't figure out how to get up that high without hurting myself!  One thing I am worried about is the swelling at the incision site. I am very thin and it is really prodruding.. It is not infected and just barely bruised. I am worried that it is scar tissue. What is your experience at this stage with swelling at the incision site?
Thanks!
Nicole

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy
Re: 3 Weeks Post Op Swelling
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 12:25:03 AM »
Hi Nicole

Welcome to Hip Talk and congratulations on your new hip. I gave your post a new topic of it's own.

If you are having swelling, you might want to be icing the area.  A lot of times swelling occurs because you are doing too much.  Have you talk to your PT about it?

I would try ice. You incision will stay tender for a long time.  Mine seem to have adhesions and even 5 months post when I would walk and then try to sit down - it was like the area under my incision was pulling apart.  It was a strange sensation.  It really hurt - but then would stretch out after a few minutes.

My incision itched for a long time.  I am not 1 1/2 years post op and still have itching near my butt.  It takes the surgery a really long time to heal. You are fine and nothing hurts, but I still had the itching.  My skin scars strangely.  I only had stitches and had a very clean incision and scar.

You might also just give your doctors office a call and ask about the swelling - if ice is a good solution. I imagine as long as there is reddness or infection - you might just be doing too much.  3 weeks post op is still pretty early in the game to be very active.

Good Luck and keep in touch.  If you want to write a story about your surgery, I would be happy to post it or put it on a blog so you can add to it.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Lucia

Re: 3 Weeks Post Op Swelling
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 02:39:55 PM »
Nicole,

I am almost 4 weeks out, and I had a mild swelling at three weeks...a swelling only I would notice.  The area around the scar was hard, and some areas compressed.  This is my third hip surgery on this hip, so by comparison, this scar is doing great.  The others were as bad or worse at this stage and have resolved.  My PT mobes this scar regulary (very gently) to reduce adhesions under the skin.  What once was hard last week now has softened and flattened.  One side of the scar is "stuck down" more than the other, so we are working on that.  She has shown me how to do it myself.  I also use liquid vitamin e as I mobilize it.  What felt like a large splinter last week feels great now.

Mission Statement
Surface Hippy presents information about hip resurfacing. It does not provide medical advice.
It is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and clinician.
Advertising - Revenue from this site is derived from commercial advertising and individual donations. Any advertisement is distinguished by the word "advertisement"
Privacy - Surface Hippy does not share email addresses or personal information with any group or organization.
Content - Surface Hippy is not controlled or influenced by any medical companies, doctors or hospitals.
All content is controlled by Patricia Walter - Joint Health Sites LLC 2005 - 2018 Web design by Patricia Walter.

Hip TalkModeration

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis by Patricia Walter.

The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that this forum is public and any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all.
You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderator to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc..) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

Please keep your comments positive and polite. If you have a disagreement with another forum member, moderator or the site owner; please use the the private message feature of this forum or email the member. We try to avoid emotional conflicts on the discussion group and we will do so by removing posts and banning those that cause problems.

The moderator reserves the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.

Recent Posts

Re: Groin pain???? by ahausheer
Today at 07:44:41 AM

Re: Andy Murray by jimbone
Today at 12:53:42 AM

Re: THR yesterday by Saddlepal3
Today at 12:11:50 AM

Re: Andy Murray by catfriend
Yesterday at 10:35:05 PM

Re: Andy Murray by Saf57
Yesterday at 06:32:43 PM

Re: Andy Murray by Granton