+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: care after surgery  (Read 1786 times)

hippygf

care after surgery
« on: June 15, 2010, 01:35:27 AM »
Hi all - I am new to the boards, my boyfriend is scheduled for a arthroscopic procedure to his left hip next month and a BHR to the right in November.

My question is about his immediate post-op care at home - he lives alone, and 1000 miles away from me. Can he be by himself, and have someone (or a nurse) come by to check on him, or will he need 24 hour care for a while, and for how long?

Combining his independence and shock, he hasn't even begun to think about what he needs, and I am worried! Is a home health service a viable and good option?

Thanks all!
The hippygf

obxpelican

Re: care after surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 07:17:53 AM »
If you pre-cook some meals (at least 2 weeks worth) and pre-position furniture and add an elevated toilet seat he'll be fine.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

jack

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 11:14:30 AM »
My first week was pretty tough maneuvering wise. Its possible I guess but sure would be nice if you could take a week off and stay with him (or somebody).... Maybe insurance would pay for a rehab facility for a week or 2? Just a thought. I was lucky in that my wife could work from home for a week or 2 if needed. She only did it for one but I was glad she was there!

I had a visiting nurse service and in home Physical Therapy 2-3 times a week. They check vitals such as blood pressure, O2 saturation, pulse, etc. and put him through some strengthening exercises.  If his condition goes south and nobody is monitoring it, that would not be a good thing. At least get in home nursing if you can. Nursing will change the bandage too. That will be very hard for him to do alone. I was discharged from nursing at 3 weeks and PT at 3 1/2 weeks. Tomorrow is 4 weeks for me and I am walking with no aids most of the time.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 11:23:12 AM by jack »
Right BHR by Dr. Clarke  5-19-10

My BHR Story

johnoke

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 04:32:30 PM »
Most insurance plans cover going to a rehab center after hospital discharge, so check that out for the first week. My hospital "scored" the need for rehab based on some questions they ask, one of which is "do you have someone to live with you." If you answered no, it was an almost automatic qualification for the rehab center.

My wife stayed with me at home for 2 days, but honestly, I could have been ok by myself. She was here at night to help with meals, so that part would be difficult. I had visiting PT visits twice a week to walk me around. I got up and walked (with a walker or crutches) everywhere I needed. The pain was pretty intense the first week, but the meds took care of it enough so that I could get around OK.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat