+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Time away from work  (Read 4401 times)

danebuxbaum

Time away from work
« on: June 15, 2010, 05:21:07 PM »
I am about get my right hip done by Dr. Brooks at Euclid Hospital the end of July. I feel good about choosing him for the job but the more I hear about how long it takes some of us to get back into the swing of things the more concerned I get. I am lucky to work for a company that gives me a lot of time off and between vacation and sick time accrued I'm good for 50 days away paid. But frankly, I'd like to get back to my fairly sedentary desk job after about 3 weeks out if I can. Am I dreaming? I'm 56 years old and jobs don't grow on trees for us duffers, so does any body have any really good stories to relate regarding quick rehab? -  I'd love to hear them. It's kind of depressing when I hear about how some guy can't tie his shoe at 6 months post op.

atbower

Re: Time away from work
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 09:02:04 AM »
Hi,
  I just had my six week check up with Dr. Brooks.  You will be on crutches with 75% weight bearing till your 6 week check up, you will not be cleared to drive, and will have the compression stocking on at home for roughly 10 days post op.  I was done with narcotics by the second week; the really acute operative pain was gone.  It takes a month or so to replenish any RBC's that you lost during your operation and that can add to fatigue.  I did not really nap but you are so limited what you can do with crutches that I know I was not moving around as much as normal.  (Hard to cook on crutches, carry things, etc etc)  If your job is truly sedentary you will probably be okay but I would think that at least 4 weeks might be a better option.  Having been cleared to drive, walk etc since I've been home on Sunday I have been cleaning and organizing like a crazed lady and by the end of the night I am more tired than at any point in the last six weeks.  It is giving me an ideal of how deconditioned I truly am from the months prior to OR when pain was so limiting up to an including the more limited recovery period.  Is there someone available to take you to work?  If it is to much will your work policy allow you to go back on leave?  Can you rest at home once home from work without a lot of other obligations (cooking, cleaning, laundry?) Are half days an option just to see how you feel? 
You Must, Must do all your home PT like a religious zealout!  three times a day! no excuses!  Total time each session takes is probably less than 5-7minutes but I am convinced it is the key to limp free walking.  I did also go try and "walk" which is frustratingly slow on crutches but was not painful on the operative leg. I am tying my shoes, lifting my leg into the car with no thought or pain, and swinging my good leg around amazed at the lack of pain. 
Good Luck----Ann B

stephen

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 06:04:07 PM »
I went back to work after 4 weeks. I'm at week 14 and when I get real tight I have a hard time with my shoes. When I'm loose I can tie my shoes with no problems with the hip but my lower back is another story.

Jeff

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 08:20:39 PM »
Hi,
     I'm 55, and 9+ weeks LBHR.   I am not athletic, but at 2 weeks was pretty much one crutch, and at 3 weeks on a cane.  At 3-4 cane only occassionally.  I feel I am having an exceptional recovery.  I guess it depends on your doctor and protocol and the amount of damage prior to surgery.  I was bone on bone, and limping fairly regularly before surgery.  After surgery I could stand on surgery leg without pain and was given the go ahead to put weight on it as tolerated.  However, even though I was walking at 1 week (with aids), I wasn't really that stable until 4 week+.  Other posters are right...you will have ted hose for some time usually and your rehab & PT should be regimented.  If my job were more of a desk job I would have returned to work at 3-4 weeks (with precautions).

Good Luck,  Jeff

bothdone

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 08:51:46 AM »
I was away from work for six weeks but part of that was not being covered to drive until that point.   I'd go with the thought that six weeks is a minor inconvenience when viewed in the life-span of a BHR.

Hope everything goes well for you.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

ginnie

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 05:48:24 PM »
Honestly ,, Yes .. its not enough time in my opionion.  I was out 8 weeks and could have used more. Im having second one done next week and am giong to take 11 weeks myself. I get 12 ,, if Im feeling better I will come back earlier, I already told my boss ,, but the mistake I made last time was telling them I would be back after 6 weeks and having to extend it. Its best to ask for more and not need it then to tell them less then have to turn around and ask for more. JMHO

AnnieS

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 12:18:58 PM »
I took nine weeks off and that seem like a ridiculously long time before I had the surgery but it was in fact just about right.  Recovery is both slow and fast.  It has gone along quite well but it took five weeks for me to start feeling like myself.  I had most movement restrictions lifted at 5 weeks and then I spent the next four weeks going to PT three times a week and the doing exercise on the off days.  It is difficult to find the time for all of that when you are working full time. I agree -- ask for more time and then come back early if you feel well enough.

Luann

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 04:34:17 PM »
Hello Danebuxbaum- I am 4 weeks exactly out of a right hip resurf (45 yr female C+ Dr. Sparling WA) and I felt like I could have gone back to work, at least for a shorter work day (4-6 hours?) at three weeks. I am currently going stir crazy, I wish I could do something besides read and watch tv for recreation. I have sneeked out to watch some horse shows (I'm and avid equestrian) and these required at least a couple hours of driving time (by someone else, I am not released to drive yet) and then approx. 5 hours of sitting and viewing the show-and I felt great!  I did bring a soft pillow to place under my bottom; you know how hard those wooden bleachers can be!
  I feel that if a person had a mostly sit down job (which I have- I'm a dental hygienist) they might do fine if they have/had a recovery similar to mine. I did take some tylenol on the car ride/horse show days but only twice and nothing more.
 The reason I am not back to work is that they will not release me to drive yet, and we live out in the country about 40 mins from my work with no mass transite close. There is no one to take me. I also need to stay on crutches for  six weeks, as I am not released to put more than 50% of my body weight on my operated leg. I feel the Dr. is taking extra precautions because I am slightly "higher risk" for the resurfacing to fail (his words) as I am a peitte female with small bone density. I want this to turn out well, of course, so I am following his instructions and doing my OK'd exercises (stretching, walking, riding a recumbent stationary bike, leg lifts,etc.) but I do feel that I could have returned to work by now, if not a week ago!
 As I sit right now I feel nothing! If I didn't know better I cannot tell I've had anything done. When I do start the exercises, I just feel a little stiffness, leg weakness, and soreness around the incision site. I take nothing for pain except at night, as I have had trouble sleeping ever since the 2nd week after surgery. I attribute this to boredom, lack of the kind of daily exercise I usally get, and "worries".
 Hope this helps, I do believe I've read abut people who have returned to work quite early. I'm guessing it depends on a lot of considerations. Luann
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

tcarroll

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 09:53:45 PM »
I am 8 weeks post opt and plan on going back the middle of August,i work in the Electrical Utility industry so i have to ease back into it.Been doing my PT,riding a stationary recumbent bike,walking and taking it slow and easy.There are things i want to do but really don't want to hurt myself.Dr. said yesterday to start easing myself back into everyday living.

Good Luck,Take Care,Be Careful and God Bless

ByTor

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 03:03:03 PM »
YMMV. Definitely does. I feel really fortunate in my recovery. I'm 4 weeks post-op today (6/11), and used a walker the 1st week, walking stick (normally for hiking) for 1 week, and nothing since. I've got a bit of a limp because the gluteus medius (sp?) tendon was cut so that's weak, but that's supposed to go away in a few weeks as my adductors strengthen.

I was bone-on-bone (surgeon said it looked like polished ivory) with bone spurs, and feel great. I came back to work this past Tuesday, and was 100% weight-bearing from day 1. Released to drive on day 13.

I've also got a job that's not too strenuous (engineering manager), so that helps. BTW, I'm 41, and not in the greatest of shape (5'9", 210lbs). :)

Looking forward to getting the other hip done on 8/13.

-Jim
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 03:08:03 PM by ByTor »
LBHR: 6/11/2010, Dr. Schmitt
RBHR: 8/13/2010, Dr. Schmitt

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 11:05:06 AM »
Each doctor has their own post surgery protocol. Follow your's precisely :) I was 49 and was out of work for 4 weeks.

doris

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 10:07:30 PM »
I am 15 weeks post-op and feel great!!  Dr. Brooks did my RBHR and besides the fact that he is a great surgeon, I believe my recovery has gone so well because I followed his instructions to the letter - did all my home excersises and maintained 75% weight-bearing on crutches for 7 weeks (my 6 week check-up was actually at 7 weeks).  I was bored - (read many books) and prior to surgery couldn't imagine being off work for 8 weeks.  Well - looking back - i couldn't have gone back any earlier.  Although I felt good - it was definitely not good enough to go to work. The week home after I got off crutches was more tiring than when I was on crutches and it took me a month back to work before I stopped feeling sheer exhaustion each evening.  But it was all worth it because from the time I woke up in the recovery room - I was out of that deep, debilitating pain!  My advice - do exactly what the doctor tells you - don't push it - it's not worth what could happen! 

Good luck!  You will fell like a new person when the surgery is over!!
RBHR 04/12/10 - Dr. Peter Brooks, Cleveland Clinic

tony b

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
im 41  yr old male and returned to work as a police officer after 12 weeks .its been 5 months since my bhr and im doing everything i was before .still have burning sensation below the scar closer to my knee and when i over do it my leg tells me to take a break .some minor joint pain but nothing to really complain about .getting used to walking around in motorcycle boots that are knee high after 3 months of wearing flip flops was a little painfull .all in all im lucky im still walking and can work .

jwtoto

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 11:28:47 PM »
I have a physical job and I work out of a company 4x4 P/U truck. I do some lifting, climbing, walking and quite a bit of standing to work. Definitely not a desk job. I was fortunate enough to be able to stay out of work for 3 months during recovery, thanks to the FMLA leave law and the wonderful disability insurance provided in my state that I paid into for my working career. As a result, I ended up with no income loss and a much more confident return to work. Also, I was able to devote my full attention to recovery working out everyday, resting when I needed it, icing very frequently, and stretching for up to 30 minutes three times per day. By the 3 month mark I had gained ROM in my operative hip that was better than 95% of people who have no hip problems of any kind according to my PT. Also, I did not risk over loading my hip, falling, or pushing myself to do things that I know I would have tried to do at work. My advice- if you can stay off work don't hesitate to do so for as long as you can. Your initial months of recovery set the stage for your ultimate level of success. But, if you can't afford to stay out of work and you have a sit down job, you probably will be able to get away with it.

Jerry
Jerry RBHR Dr. Su 4/15/2010

moe

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 09:20:13 AM »
Jerry, your experience was exactly as mine. Very good advice! moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Al S.

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 12:43:11 PM »
I'm 47 years old and had BHR on October 12, 2010 - Dr. Darren Kerr in Saint John, NB, Canada.  I returned to work today (October 25, 2010) - but I'm a lawyer so I am used to sitting on my butt all day anyway!  I've been very fortunate with pain and mobility - using a cane after day 2 and needed little in the way of pain medication since the procedure.  I'm sort of waiting for something bad to happen but so far so good.   IMHO over and abve my young age, the reason I've had such an easy ride is preparation - I trained hard for approximately a year with a personal trainer to get ready for this and I think I was ready.  I had heard that the more work you are able to do before hand, the less recouperating time / pain afterwards.  I know this is not for all but I can attest (at least so far) how it has worked for me.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear