+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Impingement  (Read 2456 times)

Michael1

Impingement
« on: June 24, 2010, 02:24:09 AM »
I'm going on four months post op and I'm doing well. I can walk without pain, I'm not limping, I sleep and roll over without pain, I can ride a bike and I can horseback ride with my kids ... but I cannot put on my sock or tie my shoe. This week my surgeon told me he believes I have an impingement. He said because the "neck" of my femur was short, the metal is hitting bone when I flex my hip. This seems like terrible news to me but my surgeon seems unconcerned. He believes the bone will "remodel" and when it does I'll be able to put on my own sock and tie my own shoe again. He believes this will happen within the next eight months. I have my doubts and I would very much appreciate hearing from anyone that has experience or information in this regard. I'm quickly losing confidence in my surgeon. Thanks in advance!

Lopsided

Re: Impingement
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 05:24:58 AM »
... because the "neck" of my femur was short, the metal is hitting bone when I flex my hip...

If both components are angled correctly how can this be so?

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

jack

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 06:26:22 AM »
Even if the neck was only long enough to hold the metal cap, I do not see how this could be.......  its simple mechanics really. I would send your xrays to some other doctors for another opinion.

Right BHR by Dr. Clarke  5-19-10

My BHR Story

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 03:17:23 PM »
I'm going on four months post op and I'm doing well. I can walk without pain, I'm not limping, I sleep and roll over without pain, I can ride a bike and I can horseback ride with my kids ... but I cannot put on my sock or tie my shoe. This week my surgeon told me he believes I have an impingement. He said because the "neck" of my femur was short, the metal is hitting bone when I flex my hip. This seems like terrible news to me but my surgeon seems unconcerned. He believes the bone will "remodel" and when it does I'll be able to put on my own sock and tie my own shoe again. He believes this will happen within the next eight months. I have my doubts and I would very much appreciate hearing from anyone that has experience or information in this regard. I'm quickly losing confidence in my surgeon. Thanks in advance!

IMHO if you had impingement you would have a lot of pain--- the ability or lack of ability to put on your socks assuming it's not pain that stops you comes from your lack of ROM, ROM takes time to get back, it took me and many others more than 4 months to tie our shoes without some other help.

I would be patient, the fact that you do not have pain is a good thing.

Just MHO.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

sharleen

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 06:44:56 PM »
Hey Jack - that was very useful information. Haven't seen a diagram like that and now it all makes sense. You guys all rock with your info. I will be posting another ailment a little later. At least I can vent with you and not have to bore my family with it all.
Sharleen

shipnc

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 11:36:54 AM »
Hey Sharleen....I'm going on 6 weeks now and also have range of motion problems.  Everything else seems to be progressing normally.  My first trip to the sports center I was fortunate to see a friend who helped me put on my sock!  I mentioned this concern to my DR at the 4 weeks checkup and he said this was normal and usually the last aspect of the procedure to return to normal. He said that there was usually great improvement around the 6-8 month mark...not what I wanted to here and wonder if he is just blowing smoke, but I guess time will tell.  I have been doing some stretching and trying to improve range of motion and while it is not pleasant, I do notice small improvements.  I can now get a sock on with considerable effort and tie the laces if I get set up right, so I guess I'll just keep trucking and see what happens.

moe

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 07:12:18 PM »
Michael, try sitting on a step with your operated leg foot on the step beneath, this worked well for me and others. I no longer need to do it. It will get better, keep up your stretching and movements. Good luck, moe.
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat