+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis  (Read 2190 times)

raptwice333

Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis
« on: July 07, 2010, 10:49:04 PM »
Hi, my name is Ramon-Paolo (Rap Rap) Francisco.  I'm only 19 years old and I've had two arthroscopic hip surgeries (Dec. 2009 and May 2010).  In both operations, my surgeon released my iliopsoas tendon to stop the clicking, popping, and pain in both hips due to snapping hip syndrome. 

my latest surgery (left hip) is still in rehab adn doing great. the pain level is about a 1-2, but my right hip, which was operated on in December 2009, has Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis (PVNS).  It is in constant pain, especially when I am not moving it (sitting in the classroom and when I'm trying to go to sleep). 

so far, all my research has shown a synovectomy to be the best and most popular solution, but i also read that people who have had PVNS and have had a synovectomy consistently get osteoarthritis.  I then did research on osteoarthritis and that's how I came to this website.  People with PVNS all eventually have bone damage to the pelvis and some kind of arthritis.  I was wondering if I absolutely HAVE TO go through all of that first (synovectomy then arthritis/osteoarthritis) to get a hip resurfacing.  That is years and years of pain that I don't want to have to go through. 

So, basically, is there anyone out there 20-years-old and below that has ever had a successfull hip resurfacing and still got back to playing sports?  (my whole life has been about basketball, but it's been 4 years since I've been able to play competatively due to my initial problems which started in 2006)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 08:07:44 AM »
Hi Ramon

Welcome to Hip Talk.  I am very sorry to hear about your hip problems at such a young age.  There have been a few hip resurfacing patients in their teens.  As far as I know, they were not athletes before their problems.  They had suffered a long time and are now returning to a normal life - one going to college.  So I know of young people that had hip resurfacing, but none that were athletes. 

I am not familiar with your particular problem, but I can understand that you might want to skip some of the treatment that take a long time to recover from and go for a hip resurfacing.  The best advice I can give you based on years of working with patients with diffiuclt hip problems is to ask several of the best hip resurfacing surgeons in the world what they would recommend. Please remember that they do hip resurfacing and it is a very diffiuclt surgery, so they are amoung the best orthopedics in the world. They also do other very difficult hip surgeries, so they will give you the best advice since they do both resurfaicng and other problems.  Orthopedic surgeons that do not do resurfacing, won't give you good input about what your best options would be concerning hip resurfacing.

You did not say where you live.  You can send an email to Dr. Bose of India, Dr. De Smet of Belgium and Dr. Gross of SC   Each will give you a free evaluation if you send a copy of your x-rays in a digital format and whatever medical records you have that explain what your current problems are.  Dr. Gross will call you and Dr. Bose and De Smet will write back to you.  They are among the very best in the world and it won't cost you to get their opinions.  That is the path I would take.  Get good input to make your decision as to what to do.  Ask them if you can continue to play sports.  There are many athletes that continue in their sports after hip resurfacing.  http://www.surfacehippy.info/athletes.php   Since I am not familiar with your problem, I don't know if there is some problem with your muscles and ligaments that would slow down your recovery or prevent you from playing again.  I am not a doctor.  I know people that had just hip deterioration from arthritis have returned to sports.  Be sure to ask all the questions that you can think of.  The doctors will answer them.  Don't be afraid to ask or write again if you think of something else.

Good Luck and stay in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

raptwice333

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 12:05:50 AM »
Pat,

I'm so glad i found your website.  I've felt so alone the past few years because i literally did not know anyone of any age with hip problems. Seeing all these videos and reading all these stories on this site have gave me a lot of needed comfort.  thank you so much for the advice, Pat.

By the way, I'm located in central Florida, around the Orlando area.  Its very good to know those doctors you named will evaluate me and give me some opinions as to what I should do for no charge.  I'm a freshman in a local small college. I sacrificed going to a big university so my family and I could save up to pay for my past two surgeries. I know this isnt the end of my journey and there will be more sacrifices to be made, but getting the opinions from world class doctors at no charge is truly a great blessing. I will definitely contact those doctors in the near future. I have an appointment with my surgeon next week and i will talk things through with him.  Thanks again Pat! i will keep in touch!

-Rap Rap

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 07:46:56 AM »
Hi Rap Rap

There are some great folks here that are either waiting for a hip replacement or have had a hip resurfacing.  So they can answer questions for you as well as I can.

It is wonderful that the top surgeons will give you a free consultation.  Just send them an email with your information and x-rays in a digital format as a .jpg   Make them about 500 or 600 pixels wide or high.  That's a good size for email attachments.

I hope they can give you some good information to make a decision with.  You are very young and need to think about things before making any quick decision.

Good Luck and stay in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM