+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Surfer about to get a bilateral  (Read 5078 times)

peterwi

Surfer about to get a bilateral
« on: July 08, 2010, 08:47:28 PM »
Hi all,

I just joined the site and wanted to check if any surfer here has had a bilateral hip resurfacing on the same day? Mine is scheduled with Dr. Schamlzried next week on 7/14.
Surfing is my favorite thing in the world and I am very worried whether everything will get back to normal and how long it will really take.
I am by no means an expert surfer, but even though I can hardly walk around the block anymore with my hips I can still surf somewhat ok.

All the best of luck to anyone recovering out there,

Peter
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 08:50:59 PM by peterwi »

wayne-0

Re: Surfer about to get a bilateral
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 01:17:56 AM »
Hey Peter,
I had Bi-lateral surgery the same day back in Nov 2008. I am surfing again and some waves my jump up is okey and some waves I'm like a kook falling off to the side or back. When I get to my feet everything is totally normal for me again. I tried surfing 3 months post surgery and that was to soon to get to my feet. I waited 1 more month and tried again and I got to my feet and was so stoked. You say you can still surf, well I think you will be just fine after surgery and be back in the water surfing again. The big advantage you have over my situation is that I could not stand up on a board for 4 1/2 yrs because I was in such bad condition. Heck I couldn't even sit on a board because my legs/hips wouldn't open up enough to straddle a board. Now no problem doing that. You will be amazed after surgery that you can do things that you couldn't for so long. If you have any questions e-mail me and I will get back with you. By the way you picked a great surgeon, you will be in very good hands with Dr. Schamlzried.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 02:31:12 AM »
Good Luck tomorrow Peter !!!   You'll be able to surf again no problem, don't even sweat it.  Good luck and keep us posted, Bill

peterwi

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 11:21:42 AM »
Thanks Wayne and Bill for your uplifting posts. I will go under the knife in 4 hours and will report back soon.

Peter

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal