+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Yet another bilateral story about to begin - Dr. Schmalzried  (Read 3605 times)

peterwi

Hi everyone,

Just joined the site and will have my bilateral hip resurfacing procedure done with Dr. Schmalzried next week on 7/14 - both on the same day.
I've read through so many of your posts, but am still a little nervous about what really to expect. Also posted something in the Surfing section of the site to check if anyone has any experience with a bilateral on the same day and returning to surfing.

Does anyone have the conserve plus device?

Will try write some more a my bilateral story continues.

All the best to anyone recovering!!

Peter

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Yet another bilateral story about to begin - Dr. Schmalzried
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 09:15:40 PM »
Hi Peter

Welcome to Hip Talk.  Sorry to hear about the bad hips.  Dr. Schmalzried is one of the best hip resurfacing surgeons.  The Wright C+ is an excellent resurfacing device.  Some surgeons, like mine who is Dr. De Smet in Belgium, uses more Wright C+ devices than BHRs.  It has excellent instrumentation according to Dr. De Smet.

I would not be nervous about the doctor or device.  Save your energy for your recovery after your surgery.  One advantage is that you will only have one recovery.  There are many bilateral stories on the personal story section http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories.php  Some even have flown to Belgium alone to have their resurfacings and did fine.

We will look forward to reading your posts.  I am sure that you will return to surfing if that is what you use to do.  Having a bilateral resurfacing at the same time will have no negative affect on your eventual outcome and activities.  It will just take you a bit longer to recover.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

moe

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 03:29:09 PM »
Welcome Peter, I had both mine done a year ago 7/13. As Pat says, one recovery. I've returned to full strength, weight lifting, hiking and especially mountain biking. No pain. I'm sure I could surf, but I'm not a surfer.  ;D Good luck! moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

peterwi

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 11:16:49 AM »
Thanks Pat and Moe,  that makes me feel a lot better and more confident. I will go under the knife in 4 hours and just hope to wake up with two resurfaced hips - not one and not any THRs!!
Will report back soon.

Peter

peterwi

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 07:51:16 PM »
Hi Bilaterals,

Dr. Schmalzried is a genius. He resurfaced both my hips in 4 hours and 30 minutes. I woke up without pain - laughing and happiliy informing my wife about the great outcome. I slept like a baby through the night and am already walking through the aisles of the hospital with 2 crutches, even walking stairs. It's a dream come true!
I can stand in a single spot longer and more comfortable than I have for years.

Will keep you posted,

Peter

wayne-0

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 02:41:41 AM »
Peter, Good job so far on the outcome. You ready to surf yet? LOL

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

peterwi

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 10:11:39 AM »
Just a little update.

My bilateral surgery was 7/14 and as expected once the epidural wore off I had some pain, however in a resting position I was pretty much pain free. I walked 100 yards in the hospital and got up and down stairs on with two crutches on the day after surgery. On the second day after surgery I was released from the hospital and went on my 2-hour drive back to San Diego. My wife was driving me in her SUV, so there were no problems getting in and out of the car. Also had no problems getting up the stairs in my house with a railing and the use of one crutch. I was up on my feet and hobbling around the house with the two crutches for at least 4 hours on this second day after surgery. The bed I sleep in happens to be very high (3 feet),  so I was able to slide myself up and down the bed easily with no assistance and just lifting my legs with my hands to position myself in bed. Day 3 brought a lot of improvement with the stretch I was supposed to do 7 times a day (foot on knee stretch) and I was up on the knee with an almost horizontal position, which I never tought was going to happen when I started. Went to the bathroom 3 times that night, which was always a little undertaking, but I did it by myself. The next night though, I had to go 8 times - almost every hour and although I got better and better at it, it was a frustrating night - espcially since I really hadn't drunk that much.
From there on everything went back to normal, increases in walking distance and stretching and yesterday on day 6, I had my first PT, where I paddled 10 minutes on a stationary bike pain free - however with no resistance. I can't believe how well it is going.

Will keep on posting...

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 10:23:39 AM »
Peter

Glad to hear things are going well for you.  Just take it easy and don't push.  I will be watching for your updates.  Meanwhile, Good Luck!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

dw

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 11:34:17 AM »
espcially since I really hadn't drunk that much.

Good job on the bi-lat and recovery, but don't slack on the liquids - very important, helps to flush your system. You'll have to go allot as the body absorbs the swelling do to fluids that's happening.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear