+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cosmetic issues - 7 days post-op  (Read 2266 times)

crpagel

Cosmetic issues - 7 days post-op
« on: July 26, 2010, 12:35:20 AM »
I am 1 week post-op for a Left HR and have some questions regarding the long term cosmetic appearance after the procedure.  I am a very thin, 32 year old female and was not expecting to see that my left hip area is much larger than the right and it is looking very off-balance with the rest of my body.  I know...I know... I am only 1 week post-op and I shouldn't have such high expectations of looking like I did before the procedure right away.  My question is whether or not anyone experienced something like this, and whether it eventually resolved and the corrected hip went back to the same size as pre-surgery?  If so - did you use any particular exercise regimen to correct the size differences? 

On a more serious note - I am thrilled that I had the HR.  My issue was a congenital birth defect that had been operated on 3 times prior to this procedure.  I went in expecting to have quite a bit of pain and mobility issues after the surgery, and was surprised when I awoke and had very little pain at all.  I was up and walking the next day with 2 crutches and went home from the hospital.  Day 3 & 4 I spent a great deal of time sleeping because I was still on pain meds.  Day 5 I was feeling much better and went to only 1 crutch.  I'm walking every day as well as taking care of my 5 & 2 1/2 year old and am only taking Tylenol right now.  I am AMAZED!!

I lived with joint pain my entire life, and this is the first time that I am not feeling that pain.  The only issue with the HR is that I am experiencing a little clicking when I walk which my ortho doc said should go away as the muscles and tendons get back to their original position and some weight gain (probably due to the lack of activity).   I feel like I am simply waiting for the surgical site to heal and will be back to my normal crazy life.

moe

Re: Cosmetic issues - 7 days post-op
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 07:10:07 PM »
At one week I woud suspect that you stiil have swelling there. I'm lightly built and had a butt the size of a NFL linebacker! Give it more time, you'll be fine. moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 08:50:41 PM »
Hi

Everyone has some swelling after major surgery of replacing a hip.  It is just normal. Some people have much more than others.  You can ice if it is a problem and you are in pain.  You will just have to be patient and let your body heal.  It takes months to heal and almost a year to heal completely. Just know that you are normal and it takes time for things to get back to normal.  Take it easy and don't push too hard too soon.  You might want to take more time to elevate your leg and ice it if if seems to swell more after being one it a long time. 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

crpagel

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 09:59:55 AM »
Thanks everyone.  It feels good just to hear that this is normal.  I will continue the icing every day.

Luann

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 09:32:20 PM »
Hi crpagel,
 Too funny... in hindsight!, I am a 45yr old small framed thin female, and my brother, who visited me a few days after surgery, declared (in public and quite loudly) "Hey girl, it looks like ya got some junk in the trunk!" Of course, this was just to be funny and make light of my emormous "cheek" and thigh on the side of my HR. Does that help you to know that swelling like this is normal? Give it time. My leg (8 weeks out) is back to normal and doing excellent.  Speedy recovery wishes-  Luann
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat