+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blood Thinner Shots  (Read 5830 times)

emichel

Blood Thinner Shots
« on: July 26, 2010, 06:45:25 PM »
OK, I'm new around here, and haven't even posted anything about my situation yet.  Basically, I am considering hip resurfacing, and may do it on one side as soon as this January.  Right now I am just trying to inform myself.  I have noticed that in a lot of the posts here, people are talking about having to give themselves blood thinner shots!  To be honest -- to me that almost seems like the worst part.  Waah, I hate shots.  Does everybody have to do this, or is it an unusual thing?

Oh well, I will post more about myself later.  This is a very informative website! -- EM

sharleen

Re: Blood Thinner Shots
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 07:03:24 PM »
I certainly never had to inject myself with blood thinner, however I was told that if I wanted to fly within 6 weeks of the surgery then I would have to inject the blood thinner to prevent blood clots from forming.
best
Sharleen

moe

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 07:14:23 PM »
I think blood thinner shots are rare. Coumadin or aspirin much more common. I was on coumadin for six weeks, not a big deal.
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

JimK

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 07:15:51 PM »
I would think that you'd have to take some blood thinner after surgery to prevent clots.  I took the Lovenox injections for 17 days, and I'd hardly even call it an injection.  It's the tiniest needle that you stick into your stomach.  Pretty much a pin prick, and no need for blood testing, as is needed with Coumadin.

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 08:09:04 PM »
I had to do the shots, but since then Dr. Gross only uses aspirin now <arghhhh!>.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Josephine18

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 08:39:27 PM »
The blood thinner shots are really no big deal.  They are subcutaneous – meaning the needle only goes right below the surface of the skin (much less painful than an intramuscular injection such as the flu shot).  Most of the time you feel a little prick, but the whole routine takes less than 10 seconds. The needle is small, and the whole procedure is really simple.  After my first HSR, under doctor’s orders, I was on aspirin to prevent blood clots, and I ended up with a DVT anyway. I had to do 14 days of Lovenox (comes in a pre-filled syringe) followed by six months of Coumadin.   After my second HSR, I went on Lovenox immediately for the first 30 days (one shot per day) followed by 30 days of aspirin.  I didn’t like injecting myself either, but since the medication potentially saved me from experiencing another DVT, I gladly took it for as long as my doctor wanted me to be on it.  In fact, my doctor gave me a choice of whether I wanted to do the Lovenox for 30 days or Coumadin for 6 months after my second HSR.  His preference was the Lovenox.  When I was on the Coumadin after my first surgery, I had to have my blood drawn every 2-3 weeks to make sure that my clotting times were where they should be.  Also, during that 6 month period, I was at increased risk for bleeding, so that not only did I bruise very easily, but even when I had a minor cut, I bled rather profusely. 

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 08:45:47 PM »
Hi

I took shots for 14 days.  Small needle in my tummy.  Not a problem at all.  I am not one that likes shots either, but managed.  It is a small price to have a great new hip and be out of pain.  I had to take 2 shots before I flew home from Belgium to Ohio.  An 8 1/2 hour flight. 

Major surgery is no picnic, but most of us got thru it without too many problems.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

jack

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 09:08:29 PM »
I wasn't even given blood thinners.... I took some aspirin on my own just in case. Ask the doctors that you are planning on using what their protocol's are.
Right BHR by Dr. Clarke  5-19-10

My BHR Story

obxpelican

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 10:07:10 PM »
Like Pat said, the needles are small and they are VERY sharp, you really don't suffer much, still a pain in the arse..... or belly?

Chuck

Chuck
8-6-08

Lopsided

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 10:28:25 PM »
An 8 1/2 hour flight.

I have got a thirteen hour flight ahead of me. I wonder how many shots I will have to take.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

MarkNC

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 06:38:33 AM »
Never had to do shots... just two aspirin per day, then reduced to one.

obxpelican

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 08:37:36 AM »
An 8 1/2 hour flight.

I have got a thirteen hour flight ahead of me. I wonder how many shots I will have to take.

When I had to do it I gave myself a shot once a day in the evening.

Check with your doc, but it may be zero times.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

crpagel

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 10:04:18 AM »
I just had HR surgery last week and I am taking asprin 2x/day for 14 days.  Individual cases would certainly vary based upon your age/weight and history/risk of clotting.  I would check with your dr. to ask what his typical protocol is for an individual in your situation.

fenceman

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 11:46:48 AM »
I made my wife give them to me while I didn't look. They did not hurt but I also did not like the idea of giving them to myself.  I hope I never become diabetic. 

Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Tekka

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 03:46:20 PM »
Aspirin for six weeks..

Mr McMinn has both legs scanned before you leave the hospital !!

Best Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

atomicpunk

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 11:47:37 PM »
Its no big deal,  it doesn't hurt . My nurse told be to let the rubbing alcohol dry before injecting, or it makes it sting a little when you push the needle in, I was on the arixtra for 17 days, then 2 asprin a day for 4 weeks after that.

doris

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 10:23:41 PM »
I too am terrified of needles and was worried about the Lovenux injections.  Luckily my surgeon (Dr. Peter Brooks) switched to compression stockings for a total of 14 days post-op, aspirin 2x day for 30 days post-op and ultra sound before you leave the hospital and at the 2 week visit.  I was delighted to hear that!  He has found the outcomes to be as good with this method as they were with Lovenux injections.  I was ready to rip the compression stockings off by the last couple of days, but I kept telling myself it was better than an injection!  However, I guess if he hadn't switched, I would have done it or had someone else stick me!  My 14 year old niece had eagerly volunteered!! :)  Good luck with your surgery!  It was the best thing I ever did - I feel like a new person now that I'm out of pain!
RBHR 04/12/10 - Dr. Peter Brooks, Cleveland Clinic

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat