+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Leaving for Belgium Sunday 8/8/10  (Read 6867 times)

silvercat

Leaving for Belgium Sunday 8/8/10
« on: August 04, 2010, 03:13:18 PM »
I am about to have Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by De DeSmet in Belgium.  I leave on Sunday the 8th and have surgery on the 11th and should be on the way home on the 25th.  Sounds like I will be in the Hotel with physical therapy on the 16th and be released on the 23rd. I have added 2 more days and fly back to California on the 25th. 

I am not nervous about doing both hips because I am confident in Dr DeSmet's experience. I know that the recovery will be tough but I have been dealing with the RH since about 1998 started looking into this since about 2002.  I noticed my LH began the same process of deterioration over the past couple years and about 6 months ago it was obvious that the LH was in need of BHR.  I do not have the insurance or money to make (2) trips. 

So what advice can you all give me?
Here are the things I am wondering about:
What personal articles and clothing should I take other than the obvious stuff?
What about food and getting what I want and/or need?
How do I get the best therapy.  Do I get the best therapy or do I need to insist on it?
How is the air travel home?
What is the week long recovery/therapy consist of and can I do anything to speed up recovery?
Can I take my vitamins etc into the country and hospital?

I will ask more questions while I am in Ghent and after.  Right now I don't need any experiences describing discomfort, pain etc that will create anxiety because there is no turning back at this point.  After the surgery is completed I can take any advice or positive as well as negative experience. 

I will report in to this site to let everyone know how things are going in hopes that it may help others.

Silvercat
George

moe

Re: Leaving for Belgium Sunday 8/8/10
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 07:11:30 PM »
SG, I had bilateral BHR just over a year ago, at this point I feel better than I have in years. I'm sure you will have similar results, Dr DeSmet is a leader. You will have swelling, so bring XL pants/shorts, easy to slip on/off. Don't rush your comeback, plenty of time for that, think long term. Good luck, moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Lopsided

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 08:31:42 PM »
George,

I cannot offer you advice, as I will be arriving at the clinic for my left hip a few days after you. Look forward to seeing you and other fellow hippies scheduled for this month. Hope you are up and running about quickly.

Anyone else here going to Gent soon?

Dan

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 08:32:11 PM »
Hi  Good Luck.  I don't have the energy or time to write a long reply since I am waiting for open heart surgery to replace my aortic valve on Aug 9, but you can read my book  http://www.surfacehippy.info/belgium&mybhrebook.php  to find out a lot of answers to your questions.  De Smet and team are fantastic.  You don't have to ask for anything - they know what you need and will do what is right for you.  Good Luck.  Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

silvercat

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 10:17:04 PM »
Ok, it is now 6.5 weeks since surgery and my (2) new hips are working well.  Pat was right, Doctor DeSmet and his team were terrific and did know what I needed.  I wish I had the money to just stay at the Villa for this entire time.  Everything was so easy there compared to coming home and dealing with life, other doctors, PTs, finding a therapy pool etc.  However all is well.  I suppose like most I want everything to be done and recovery complete but it takes time so patience is the key.  If I had to do this all over again I would still go to DeSmet but I would stay at the Villa longer.  I say that since I do not have insurance and had to pay for everything when I got home so I would have been better off paying the Villa and keeping the consistency and simplicity.  The DeSmet organization is awesome and that includes the facilities, the people (medical and non-medical), the food, the room, the pool, the PT staff. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat