+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: I'm finally going for it!  (Read 2724 times)

ReneeP

I'm finally going for it!
« on: August 14, 2010, 08:07:29 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted here in quite a while.  I hurt my hip back in 1988 when I sat indian style one day.  The doctors kept telling me...for years...that there was nothing wrong.  The x-rays and MRIs never showed anthing.  So, back in January of 2007, I went to another OS who had me get a cortisone shot to see if it helped with the pain.  He said if it helped, then the pain was intraarticular...and it helped!  So in March of 2007, I had arthroscopic surgery and the OS found a torn labrum, and arthritis worn to the bone.  He told me that someday I would need a THR.  I went to get a 2nd opinion and the new OS said that I had hip dysplasia.  I asked him if I was a candidate for hip resurfacing...he had just started doing them...and he said yes, but that I should wait due to my young age (I was 39 at the time).

Fast forward 3 years to July 2010.  I had my annual appointment for x-rays to see how my hip has been "progressing"...or should I say "digressing?"  There hasn't been any major change on the x-ray, but there have been symptomatic changes.  The OS said that the area where most of my arthritis has worn to the bone is in an area that wouldn't show well on the x-ray.  I'm in pain a lot, and not getting relief from OTC pain relievers or anti-inflammatories, and prescription strength anti-inflammatories aren't helping either.  I have to use a combination of aleve, tylenol, and tramadol to get decent relief, and even then, I still get shooting pains.  I've also developed knee pain on the same leg as the bad hip.  In addition, I've torn my labrum again.  MY OS said that I have very good reasons to have resurfacing now, and there are good reasons to wait...his main reason being my age (I'm 42).  I went home from the appointment, planning to wait...again.  But I talked to my husband, who was recently diagnosed with a rare, progressive, connective tissue disease.  We discussed all the pros of getting it done now vs. the cons.  And frankly, there were no cons.  So, I called my OS and made a date for surgery.

So, on November 2nd, I will have my hip resurfacing!  I'm so excited...and NERVOUS.  Now that I finally have a date, it can't get here fast enough!  The pain has been more annoying than ever in the week since I booked surgery.  I am so looking forward to being pain free and getting back to a more active life style.

Renee 
Renee

Right BHR 11/8/10
revised to THR 12/13/10
Dr. John Keggi

Luann

Re: I'm finally going for it!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 09:09:17 PM »
Hi Renee,
 I am a 45 year old female that was suffering for about 7 years and told to put off my surgery due to me age, too. I just had my HR on June 2nd, and I'm 10 + weeks out now. I can't begin to tell you how happy I'm with it. I haven't been able to do many of the things I wanted to do for about 3 years (at least, not without major pain meds!).
 I was very scared, also, I cried and didn't sleep and basically had a pity party. I just finally told myself how lucky I was to be living in a time when a problem like our can be "fixed". Imagine, 60 years ago or less we just would of had to live with it!! Now with HR, we can have even a better quality of life than with the traditional THR.
 What I am trying to say is... you sound like you are in worse pain than I even was. Get excited!! Baring any complications, you will most likely get your life back again. I have!!!! I wake up excited!! I can now walk almost (it get even better every day, and my Dr says I can ride my horses soon again!!) pain free (muscle tightness still) and absolutely limp free!! My friends are all amazed. I cried agian just yesterday, but it was tears of joy. I walked over 3 miles and felt like I did when I was 20. No joke. Relax and look forward to being on the healing side of things. Good luck!!

Luann
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

bothdone

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 06:22:04 AM »
Hi Renee

Very best wishes for your operation.   I was older than you when I had my first BHR ( I was 50) I have had absolutely no regrets about having it done.

Hi Luann

Great to hear bout your recovery.   Best wishes for your future.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

jack

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 07:41:34 AM »
My ordeal started about 5 years ago and I was told to wait too. I had heard all negative things about resurfacing until last fall when I found this site. I found Dr. Clarke close to home and started the ball rolling immediately. I sure wish I had done it years ago. This recommendation to wait as long as possible is great in theory but for the patient it is not so great as they are the ones that have to suffer with the pain and life style limitations.

Bottom line for me is that if I had it to do over again and had the proper info then I would never wait. Just get it done I say!!

Best of luck, I am confident that you will never regret it.
Right BHR by Dr. Clarke  5-19-10

My BHR Story

kdono1961

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 06:53:59 PM »
Renee,
I am a 49 year old male who lived in pain for approximately 3 years. I wastold to wait because ofmy age also.  A surgeon who my daughters baby sit for suggested hip resurfacing.  I am now 4 months poat op and no longer popping tramadol and motrin like they are M@M's.  I have my life back.  Went for a 7mile bike ride down along the shore at CapeCod.  Iam alittle sore but Ican do it and you will be back on your feet before you know it.
Kevin
kdono1961

tcarroll

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 08:58:49 PM »
Good Decision and Good Luck :)

I had mine done on May 7,2010 and i am doing great.I go back to work next week,i do not regret it at all.Yes i was scared,but happy scared.And yes i got depressed and had self pitty afterwards.But with a little help from God that all went away.

I am 50 year old male,i now am walking up to two miles a day on tread mill,riding recumbent bike and my bike.Doing about everything i used to do some with caution.

So take care,hold your head up and you will be fine.The first couple weks are brutal but be strong.

Tim

ReneeP

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 12:39:22 PM »
Thank you for all of the responses!  I know I made the right decision and I just can't wait for November 2nd to get here.  I am so looking forward to being pain free. 
Renee

Right BHR 11/8/10
revised to THR 12/13/10
Dr. John Keggi

Jim1957

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 01:03:55 PM »
Renee,  I'm a 52 year old male and Nov 2 will be my one-year anniversary for my hip resurfacing.  I wish I had done this years ago.  If you read through these posts you'll receive a lot of good info, encouragement, and a world-wide family of people who've never met but have experienced something only they can relate to.  Keep us posted and ask anything, anytime.  We were all scared and we all shared the same types of concerns you have.  Fortunately for most of us this has been a blessing.

angelena99

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 04:28:14 PM »
Congrats on making a decision, and I hope November comes quickly for you!!

I have a question for all you "told to wait"-ers.  If one has been that they are a good resurfacing candidate, what are the medical reasons to wait - most people note age; I assume this is because it would be good to only have one surgery, rather than two (the first and an eventual revison/THR due to wear). 

Are there other *medical* reasons?  I just want to make sure I'm considering everything.

ReneeP

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 08:32:18 PM »
Angelena...my OS is concerned about age not only because of the likely revision later in life, but also because I'm technically still in the child-bearing age range.  He has concerns about the metal ions affecting a fetus, although there are no studies showing any problems with them.  I have 3 school age kids and have no plans on having any more so it's not a concern for me at all.

Renee
Renee

Right BHR 11/8/10
revised to THR 12/13/10
Dr. John Keggi

Jim1957

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 09:22:10 AM »
Angelena,  my surgeon also asked me at the end of my first visit if I wanted to wait 6 months to think about it.  I looked at him and said I would hop on the table tomorrow if he had an opening.  He smiled and said that he always asks that question because he wants to know if his patients are mentally ready.  There was no medical reason to wait, he just wanted to see what my attitude was regarding the surgery.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear