+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: bilateral surgery coming up  (Read 3991 times)

throtty

bilateral surgery coming up
« on: August 15, 2010, 11:14:34 AM »
Hi everyone.

I'm on a waiting list for bilateral resurfacing, hopefully sometime in the next month.

I'd been struggling with left hip and left low back pain/sacral area pain for some time. I've been unable to stretch for years and have been a frustrating patient for physical therapists who look at me and say "I can fix him" then realize that the hamstring stretches, psoas stretches and most else they assign just aggravate me.

The diagnosis initially was a back problem, although it doesn't look too bad per x-rays and MRI, not bad enough to merit my symptoms I was having. I wasn't comfortable with the diagnosis and got a 2nd opinion due to the intense groin pain I'd been having. A 3T mri showed FAI, an impingement syndrome, labral tears possibly as a result and psoas tendonitis. I elected to undergo arthroscopic surgery to address the impingement (grind down the bone to the out-of-round section of the femur head and fix the cartilage that had been damaged) and to "release" the tendon.

The rehab was long and frustrating but eventually I got better, not 100% by any means, and returned to work at 5 months post op, hoping that I would continue to improve. In the process of rehabbing the left hip I started to have similar groin pain and sacral discomfort to the right hip, especially following the squats I'd been doing. I got an xray and mri and the result was again FAI with a labral tear. No mention of the psoas tendonitis this time.

I continued to work, albeit a struggle until about the 9 month post surgery mark where my left hip started to get increasingly uncomfortable. I started limping and became unable to climb stairs leading with the left leg. I went back to the doctor who performed the surgery. He asked me if I'd been doing enough rehab and activity. I showed him pictures of me skiing with my 4 year old son over the winter and explained, among other things I'd been doing, the prolonged snowplow position I'd been able to do controlling him down the hill at our favorite ski resort during the good months of my rehab. He agreed the pain probably wasn't due to inactivity.

He offered to do a resurfacing, something that he's done 10 times in his career. I respectfully declined after reading the information here on the hippy site and consulted with a reputable local hip resurfacing surgeon.

A couple things make me nervous about the procedure due to the fact that I'm not a typical resurfacing candidate: 1) I don't have considerable arthritis to my hips or loss of cartilage. 2) my work comp doctor says he thinks I'm heading down the wrong path -  he also never suspected my hip as a source of pain in the process and was comfortable with the back diagnosis. He doesn't give a lot of credibility to FAI and or labral tears being pain sources. Also thinks the potential problems of hip resurfacing outweigh the benefits. His suggestion? Limp my way to retirement age ... 10 more years at earliest and try to get by. The thought is depressing. 3) I'm 40 years old and the doctor that will be performing the bilateral surgery was hesitant due to my age.

Thanks for reading my tale. I really look forward to being able to ride a bike again, to kick my legs when I swim freestyle, paddle a surfboard and ski with my little man again.

Luann

Re: bilateral surgery coming up
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 12:37:14 PM »
Pat would answer this best,
 I bet she would say go to a Dr who has done a lot (I think 500 or more is rec., but the more the better) and get his/her opinion. If it IS your hips, ask the experienced HR Dr if THEY would recommend that you just "Limp until retirement". I really doubt they would.
 My hip did not have much cartilage damage, either. The catilage "cushion" in the x-ray was almost perfect. I did, however have a lot of pain (I walked with a moderate limp, foot turned outward, and I learned forward) from "bone spurs" that had formed all around and on the joint. I, too, was told to wait, due to my age of 45.
 The experienced HR Drs will be able to tell if having HR will help you. In my case my back did hurt, due to my refered hip pain. I wish I had not waited so long to have it done. I want quality of life, over quantity. Good luck! Look at Pat's Dr list and choose one, even if you have to travel a bit, that has done many.   
 Loving life after HR, Luann
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

throtty

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 10:56:26 PM »
Thanks Luann.

It's nice to hear that there are others out there who didn't have the classic cartilage degeneration, who get the resurfacing and benefit greatly. I suppose cartilage damage is cartilage damage and if it is generating significant symptoms and the doctor is willing to do the surgery, then that's a good thing. I must say it wasn't easy to sit in Dr Klug's office and have him him somewhat reluctantly agree to do the procedure.

Thanks again

throtty

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 01:16:57 PM »
I sent my xrays to Drs Koen and Gross last night and received a reply already from Dr Koen!  He writes:

"you have a protrusio type of osteoarthritis. You are a resurfacing candidate with indeed a possibility of full return as a firefighter"

Funny how in my meeting with Dr Klug he came off much less resolved, but as I mentioned he is willing to do the procedure so I can't complain. Dr Koen's remarks definitely give me a boost of confidence that I'm doing the right thing and will come out on the other side doing better.

Thanks Pat for connecting us patients with great doctors! So cool to get his mail.

Luann

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 10:42:27 PM »
Hi again, Soo glad you did that. Now all you have to do is find someone in your area (or near) really experienced (maybe one of those two Drs you mentioned are? Not sure where they practice), get their opinion, and get your life back!
 I was told, baring complications, or course, I should be able to return to training and showing my horses. I believe I have only a couple weeks to go!
 How wonderful to hear you could return to fire fighting! I don't doubt it, from some of the wonderful recovery stories I've read on this website.
 Good Luck, don't suffer anymore! Please keep us all posted on what you learn/decide.  Sincerely, Luann
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

ByTor

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 12:09:33 PM »
Throtty,
  I wish you all the best in your quest. I hope you find a doctor who has the right diagnosis for you, whether it's a BHR or otherwise. If you do go the BHR route, I'd recommend finding a highly experienced doctor, like many people here also suggest. I'm very pleased with my new joints so far, though they're still very fresh!

-Jim
LBHR: 6/11/2010, Dr. Schmitt
RBHR: 8/13/2010, Dr. Schmitt

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat