+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Surgery in November - need advice  (Read 2205 times)

alst

Surgery in November - need advice
« on: August 30, 2010, 05:58:58 PM »
Hello, This is my first post on this amazing website. First of all thank you Pat and all for the great source of information and experience that makes much easier to navigate to decision with THR. I am planning my surgery to performed in November time  frame. I am planning to do it with Dr. Schmitt @ DMC in Commerce, Michigan. I wonder of any of his recent patients could share their experience and advise. Thank you very much in advance

Luann

Re: Surgery in November - need advice
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 06:49:07 PM »
Hi Alst,

Did you look under "Hip Stories" on the hippy home page? I think I saw about 3 Dr. Schmitt patients listed there.   Luann
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

alst

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 09:13:37 PM »
Hello Luann, Thank you for the advice. I did look there, but the patients are from 2007 and 2008. I hope to hear from someone who was operated recently this year or may be end of 2009. I worry a lot about the surgery (left hip) and expect to get some feedback hopefully very positive from the recent patients. Best. Al

Luann

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 05:40:58 PM »
There is also a yahoo site for resurfaced patients. I would try looking there, too. Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

Heffenut

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 06:38:12 PM »
Hello Alst,

I am coming up on 5 weeks post op. you can go ahead and ask me questions for sure.
I am 51 year old male and had right BHR done by a great Doctor, Staff and Hospital.
The only thing I regret is not getting it done sooner. Yesterday was my first post op checkup and the Doc lifted my restrictions and sends to get on with my life (use common sense) no high impact. So today I walked a little without crutch or cane, rode my mountain bike on the street in a very quite and safe neighborhood about 4 miles, then I
went to the practice range and chipped and putted for a half an hour. I am taking it easy for sure, I am a little tired but no pain whatsoever and looking forward for a good nights rest. I will be honest I did meet with e few surgeons before I decided on Dr.Ball.  It makes it so much easier when you have confidence in you’re surgeon.

Heff

RBHR Dr.Scott T. Ball 8-9-10

alst

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 05:41:52 PM »
Hello Heff,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am so glad that you are doing well and well on the way to a complete the recovery. This is really encouraging and exactly what i need and wanted to hear. Congratulations.
In turn, i am trying to prepare muscles as much as possible for the upcoming surgery but because of quite limited ROM and pain not much except for walking and some elliptical. I wonder if you could tell me a little bit more about the first two-three weeks after the surgery. How would you know if the surgery really went well..is it only how one feels or some other hints as well (i assume if someone you would know best as you just went through the procedure:) . Were you able to climb stairs as soon as out of the hospital or you just stayed on the first floor all the time? Did you use recliner to get some sleep or you were OK sleeping on your back (a lot of people are complaining that this is one of the big hurdles at the beginning as well)? My understanding is that after operation we suppose to self administer some blood thinning shots (or may be it depends on a surgeon)...is it correct? What about special socks that one also suppose to wear for a couple of weeks to avoid blood clogs...Is it something I need to buy in advance or will be provided in the hospital (again probably different hospitals have different procedures, but what was your experience) ? How have you choosed PT? Is it someone who is recommended by your Dr's office or is selected individually? How soon PT starts after the surgery? Were you doing any special/specific exercises to speed up the recovery? Were you allowed after actual PT started to use any of the machines like elliptical, bike as probably treadmill is not allowed due to high load on the joints. Your timing for the surgery was optimal, but because of work i can do it only in November time frame when programs load goes a little bit down .so i will need to do "shopping":)/walk in malls or big stores..

Once again congratulations on your recovery and much health and fun to you and your family for the time to come...

Best. Al

pc

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 08:30:20 PM »
I had my left hip surgery on Tuesday of this week. Like you I had many questions prior to the surgery. My advice is to find a good medical team and trust in them to do their job. I think that I tried to anticipate every thing that could possibly happen. In essence I suffered from analysis paralysis. This created more anxiety than was necessary. So much so that I was ready to cancel even in the waiting room on Tuesday morning. No question that this is a major surgery and everyone needs to find a comfort level, but so far I have found my fear of the unknown was much greater than the surgery itself. I am only three days post op but can say that I have experienced very little pain and discomfort. In fact I haven't needed pain medication since coming home on Wednesday. I did a great deal of preparation in the form of conditioning prior to Tuesday. I have attacked this like I would have preparing for a long distance event. Today I walked, crutch assisted, almost a half a mile. I am going to listen to my body and take the good with the bad. Today was good, tomorrow will be it's own day.

My problems were created from running. I am 57 years of age and run over 80,000 miles the past 32 years. Add on 30 marathons and low and behold hip problems. I stopped running a year and a half ago, but have maintained a high degree of conditioning by cycling and mountain biking. I am an avid skier, but was only able to ski once last season. I'm not sure if I will seriously run again. Why tempt the beast? I plan on continuing cycling, skiing, mountain biking and some mild running. Most important is having the ability to choose again what I want to do.

Just don't over think this schedule the surgery, prepare like crazy, show up the day of surgery and enjoy the experience. Oh by the way, Versed does wonders for the anxiety. I asked for a six pack to take home, but it appears that I will need to go in for the other hip to get more. Good luck.

Heffenut

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 12:58:09 PM »
Al

When I woke up in recovery I was already wearing the TED hose as well as non slip socks, put on by staff I guess .Wore those for about 3 weeks total but after 1 week took them off for sleeping then back on in the morning (loving wife). Yes I gave myself lovenox injections every day as ordered for 10 days,
Really not a big deal considering the dangers DVT .My doctor set up my home physical therapy
and they came 2 days after I arrived home for 6 visits 2 days per week that was covered by my insurance.  I am now going to therapy as an out patient that I chose that is also covered by my insurance. Sleeping in the beginning for me was on my back for about 10 days before I had the courage to go on either side. I recommend a sturdy pillow like a temperpedic for between the legs. The first couple of nights I could not get in or out of bed without assistance (loving loving wife) because my operated leg was not strong enough to lift to the bed. Getting in and out of bed myself was probably the first sign that things were getting better. Then noticing there wasn’t any more of that
Arthritis knife stabbing at me every time I tried to move was the second. We have a 2 story home but our bedroom is on the lower floor kids upstairs, so I did not need to do stairs. PT taught me how to use the crutches on stairs and it was no problem, currently I do not have the strength in my right leg to pull me up without holding on to the banister. Yes my doctor said I can use a
Stationary exercise bike as soon as possible and to let my operated leg just go along for the ride. But I did not do a bike until this week. So for me after week 3 things starting getting better.
I do have one thing that is a problem currently and that is my limp that I had for years has caused my right hip to thrust forward and this has shortened me on the left side and is also preventing my right knee from straightening out while I walk, I am currently working with my therapist on this and I cant expect to get rid of my limp after a 2 hour surgery, this is my only real issue and it is not surgery related at all, should have done it sooner.

Some tips

The hospital gave me a grabber that I used to grab everything withouting bending over or reaching, I actually attached it with Velcro to my crutches and it works great.
The also gave me 8 inch toilet riser to take home with me
One of my neighbors let me borrow a walker and this was a lot easier than crutches for the first week around the house.
Yes a recliner would have helped but I made do without one.
A shower bar handle is a must for safety, I have to step over my tub to get in the shower and we have sliding doors instead of a curtain. Just grabbed that while getting in and out and during the shower, I know it is strong enough because I put in.
Prunes and prune juice didn’t work, I will spare details, and suppository did the trick.
I still find that I have a huge appetite and am always hungry so have lots of healthy food and snacks available , the body is healing.
We have those reusable gel packs that u can freeze or heat up instead of ice.

Thank you for the kind words and let me know if I can help with anything else.

Good luck,     
Heff

tricky

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 05:19:40 PM »
Hi Al...I saw your post and thought I would weigh in with a few thoughts based on my experience.  I am 3 months post op and everything seem to be progressing normally.  I have returned to the tennis court, which was my driving motivation, and have been hitting mostly but just started playing sets.  The hip gets tired but stronger every day.  I have been amazed at the number of different protocols the various doctors have for surgery and recovery.  For example, I had compression devices on my legs for the 2 days I was in the hospital but once I left, I never used socks or similar devices.  I was on coumadein for a month but no shots.  My doctor wanted me to be non weight bearing for a month, but I had no restrictions on sleeping positions.  Since I was supposed to be non weight bearing, there wasn't much PT I could do during the first month.  I wasn't fully compliant but tried to be sensible.  After one month, I was given carte blanch to do whatever, so I have worked hard since then.  I still have range of motion problems and am limping somewhat for no apparent reason...no pain, I just limp.  But, I can now tie my shoes, ride my bike, walk several miles, play tennis and am still progressing, so I am well satisfied.  I think you will be too.  Good luck.  Richard

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 08:48:33 AM »
Hi Al

I wanted to wish you good luck and remind you that all doctors have different protocals for recovery.  It is best to ask all of your questions of the doctor.  THen you have the answers for your own situation.  Here is a list of questions  http://www.surfacehippy.info/questionsfordoctor.php  Add your own to the list.  You should receive all the answers.  Most surgeons are happy to share the information.  If they don't, then I would not work with them. They are use to patients that are educated with many questions.

Most people are taught to do steps in the hospital.  There was little I could not do after leaving the hospital - it was all slow and sometimes painful, but I was not an invalid.  You are able to function.  It is always good to have a helper, but some with bilaterals have managed on their own. 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat