+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How many procedures before a surgeon is properly skilled?  (Read 1886 times)

andrewmyhre

How many procedures before a surgeon is properly skilled?
« on: September 10, 2010, 06:35:43 PM »
I'm planning on having hip resurfacing this Fall and I understand the value of finding a experienced surgeon.  I met with Dr. Palmer (500 hip resurface procedures) the other day and was very impressed with him and his hospital has a fantastic reputation.  Today, I had a phone consultation with Dr. Gross (2200 procedures) whose was just as impressive as Dr. Palmer.
Here's my question ..... how superior would Dr. Gross be to Dr. Palmer?  After 500 procedures with a fantastic success rate, couldn't I expect Dr. Palmer to be as talented/effective as Dr. Gross?
Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Andrew

Dayton96

Re: How many procedures before a surgeon is properly skilled?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 10:07:25 PM »
Andrew:

Quantity is good, but only if it is accompanied by quality.  Some additional ways of comparing surgeons:

1.  What implants do they use (i.e. Biomet, BHR, Cormet, etc)?

2.  Does the surgeon use a cemented or cementless femoral cap?

3.  What acetabular cup angle does the surgeon aim for?  How successful is the surgeon in getting that angle?

4.  What is his/her infection rate?

5.  What is his/her revision rate?

6.  Which approach does the surgeon use (i.e. antero lateral, posterior, etc)

7.  If the surgeon detaches the gluteus maximus tendon, does he/she reattach it?

8.  How receptive is the surgeon's staff, and the surgeon, to questions before the surgery?  If they don't return phone calls or answer your questions straight up, then don't assume they will operate any better after your surgery.

9.  You can read patient stories on surface hippy and the yahoo surface hippy site.  The patient stories talk about specific doctors and experiences.

10.  There is currently an interesting debate on yahoo concerning cemented vs. cementless implants.  You may want to take a look at it.  There have been similar debates in the past that are interesting to read.  Some things don't change.

Good luck. 

Mac
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

Dayton96

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 10:16:55 PM »
By the way Andrew.  You mentioned that you wanted to have a resurface done this Fall.  I hate to tell you, but the best surgeons are booked three or four months in advance.  Dr. Gross's staff, for instance, is now scheduling surgery for December.  I had a coworker one time, who wanted to have gastric bypass surgery.  Her insurance company would pay for it and she spent a few days looking for a local surgeon, did not want to wait for the surgeon who was recommended but who was also booked up for months, so she went with another surgeon who was available immediately.  It was a very bad mistake.  She had to go through at least four more surgeries (at last count) to fix what he had screwed up.  The moral of the story, is to do your research and be patient (if possible).

Mac 
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

Lopsided

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 01:45:46 AM »
The moral of the story, is to do your research and be patient (if possible).
I certainly agree with this. You cannot contact too many surgeons. Unless they are prepared to communicate with you then you can discount them. You will have to live with the consequences of the operation, so to a huge degree, it is your responsibility.

When you do make your choice, go in feeling comfortable in your decision.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Luann

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 03:06:32 PM »
All great advice. Although I've had a great outcome so far,I wish I had done a little more research with Drs' and questions. I will do better next time I need hip sx.
  PS. Lopsided, every time I see your posts I can't help but think that is the cutest dog I have ever seen. Great pic!  Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

Lopsided

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 08:47:09 AM »
PS. Lopsided, every time I see your posts I can't help but think that is the cutest dog I have ever seen. Great pic!  Lu

Thank you Lu.

I am glad someone actually reads my posts.

The dog is my son's golden retriever. He weighs 35 kilos (77 pounds), produces incredible amounts of saliva and jumps up and is clumsy. Not necessarily the best dog to have around while still learning to walk again.

Dan

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Luann

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 11:10:24 PM »
Of course we do... you leave numerous and very good posts with great advice and encouragement. I always notice. I bet there are a lot of others taking notice, too. Your cute dog just helps us remember.  PS. pugs and chihuahuas, I found, are easy to trip over, too! :)  Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat