+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Left hip resurfaced for osteoarthritis by Jeremy Latham in Southampton U.K.  (Read 53422 times)

Lopsided

Which hip feels better, your operated hip or the other side?

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

hernanu

T+ 36 weeks
Nothing much to report now, just enjoying training like a nutter again and wishing I had more time! Back to regular kickboxing class, extending the runs, squat 12 x 110Kg the flexibility is coming back as well.

Nice. I'm a bit behing as I'm about T +36 wks. on the left and T + 24 wks on the right. The left definitely feels better, the right is just now getting strong enough to do some more intense stuff. I'm doing some more advanced stretches (lay on the floor, do a circular stretch of each leg - think inside and outside crescent kick) with both bands and the roller. I still can't run yet, but can do the 30 x 210 lbs (95 kg) leg press.

How is the kicking in the kickboxing class? are you back to full contact on the bag on kicks? how about knees?
(Sorry for the barrage, but I'm excited to hear this).
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

phillwad

Kick boxing - I continue to be amazed - just amazed. 

I thought I was doing good riding my 15 miles on the bike with clip in shoes.  Keep it up - congrats

Cheers - Phill

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
I'd say both hips feel about the same, I get a little stiffness in the glutes from time to time on both sides, knees are fine. I'm aware that the left (operated) side is not up to full strength yet. I ran 6k on saturday with my young friend who left me standing on the final hill! I was aware that I was starting to limp slightly so just dropped to a gentle jog and let her go.

A couple of hours later I'd recovered and taught martial art class in the afternoon. The important thing is that the hip didn't hurt afterwards though I've caned my legs lately and I can feel it in the quads and calves. I'm impatient to get back to my pre-injury level but it's been 2 1/2 years since I did any distance. I've done too much training at my own pace, need to start adjusting to other people's now.

Kicking feels like I'm starting from scratch, nowhere near full power, I'm working on accuracy, form and balance, when I spar it's 'light continuous' rather than full contact. I think it's worth limiting impact for a while longer, though I have taken some fair leg kicks no problem.

hernanu

Good to hear, Gary. It sounds like you're making good steps, especially running and starting to get back to teaching.

I just started bag work with the hands, about 15 minutes, 3/4 power and it felt good. No problems with the hips, it probably helped that I did a good 1 hr workout before.

I've started the legs with some light front kicks about midlevel, working on extension, not power. Seems good. Pretty excited about it.

gary2010

Yeah boxing's no problem, I'm enjoying that.

gary2010

T+ 39 weeks
My running is limited for now by a recurring soreness in the hip flexor on the operated side. I am good for about 45 minutes on cross country or road, dropping to 12 minutes or so on the treadmill; if I take a short break, stretch everything and come back to the treader I can get another 12. I found pre-injury that 15 minutes on a treadmill felt like an hour on the road so that part doesn’t surprise me. The pace and incline don’t seem to make much difference; I’m running about 3 times a week, I tried cutting out some of my other activities but that didn’t help either. I’m disappointed with the lack of progress here as I used to be able to run all day.

I note McMinn and some other surgeons recommend treadmill over road running – why? Might it actually be harmful? If any surgeons, chiropractors or physiotherapists are reading this and fancy putting their five eggs in I would appreciate it. In the meantime I can’t think of anything to do but keep going.

jjmclain

Gary,

I am at 7 months post-op and running on the road. Are you strengthening the abductor and adductor muscles on the operated side as well as rolling them out and stretching them (but not overstretching)? Let me know what you are doing and possibly I could help. I am a personal trainer and group fitness instructor. Although, you sound on top of things and have probably already talked to your PT about this. I might be able to offer some additional insight into your problem.

I wouldn't cut out your other activities unless they are aggravating it...I tend to think the cross training of other sports helps strengthen all of the surrounding muscles. I hate treadmills and find them much harder to run on!

June

gary2010

Thanks June,

For abductors I’ve been doing side leg raises only; I had a problem with seated cable abductions as mentioned in an earlier post, so I gave that up. I also do lunges (unweighted), squats (weighted, unweighted and isometric), step-ups (front leg), hamstring curls, calf raises, ankle curls, glute bridges, donkey kicks and static cycling. I don’t get time to do all that every week though! I struggle to get in the necessary recovery time for an old bloke like me.

The rest of it is a variety of martial art training and all the usual stretches. Some days I can stretch the glutes, sometimes not at all; I get a lot of triggering in the G. Medius both sides and G. Maximus operated side around the tendon insertion. I can usually get these areas rubbed down after a run, other times I’ve been known to work on it with the handle of a screwdriver! Between treadmill sessions I’ve been using a foam roller, also down the quad, which is extremely unpleasant.

Friday’s run was horrible, I went lame about 10 minutes from home, the pain didn’t last long though and I was rolling around on the mat Sunday.

Gary.

hernanu

Hey Gary, I have actually been doing some releases that I was taught by my personal trainer. It involves using a tennis ball to do muscle release on my hip flexors. It wasn't prompted by pain, just something she thought I would need. It is much more comprehensively described in this Tennis article: http://www.examiner.com/la-in-national/myofascial-release-for-hip-flexors-to-relieve-low-back-pain , since apparently tennis players run into hip flexor problems quite a bit.

They also mention that:

"Tight quadriceps prevents proper hip extension and as a result generating more tension there. Be good about stretching your quadriceps regularly, and perform myofascial release on it, too. The quadriceps is very overworked muscle groups in a tennis player."

So the tenseness in your quadriceps may be contributing to the hip flexor issues. I use the roller and my hamstrings are not sore at all (my calves, on the other hand), so it may be that addressing both will get rid of the pain.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 08:51:47 AM by hernanu »

gary2010

Thanks Hernanu that's a new one on me, I'll try it.

jjmclain

Gary,

The things you are doing are great as well as now incorporating the releases mentioned by Hermanu. You should also do clams, first without bands and then with bands. Instead of doing seated abduction, you should use bands (tie around a stable table or chair) and do standing abduction, adduction, flexion, and extension (on both legs because the standing leg gets just as much work) which will work the muscles in all planes of motion. I hope all of this helps!

June

gary2010

Yes it's all good thanks, that article is extremely informative, I have several indicators: Trunk rotation from my exercise, imbalance because my left ankle is in poor shape and hypermobile, and although I go to sleep on my back, I usually wake up in a foetal position appropriate to someone anticipating an air raid!

The hip flexor soreness is accompanied by a low-grade backache which didn't bother me too much because I've had it on and off for years and always trained through it.

I didn't mention my hip flexion exercise, which is an isometric hanging knee raise at 90 degrees, I usually do 10 x 10second holds, maybe that's not helping.

jjmclain

Gary,

A bosu ball would help strengthen your ankles. You can do all kinds of things on it and the instability of the ball will help build your ankle strength. That hanging exercise sounds like it might be putting a lot of strain on your hip flexor! Ask you physical therapist about it.

June

gary2010

T+ 40weeks
I discussed the hip flexor thing with the chiropractor and got some stretches. I'm sure that's my problem, exactly as described in the article.

Last night I spent 1 3/4 hours in the gym for only 22 mins on the treadmill, the rest was all stretching, I did the above technique and attacked every trigger point I could find with the foam roller; I basically gave myself a full body massage by dragging myself back and forth across the accursed thing, extremely unpleasant, especially the quads.

After warming up I got 16 minutes running at paces up to 13 KPH at various inclines; when the pain became unreasonable (what, exactly, is unreasonable?) I slowed it down and tried to walk it off finishing at maximum incline. Then I went and stretched everything again, I would have tried another run but ran out of time.

So that's a 30% improvement on last time and equates to about an hour on the road, a step in the right direction at least.

I have access to a bosu ball and a podiatron machine, also I made a rocker board to use at home. I put in a bit of stability work when it gets bad, then I get bored with it.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Sounds like you are making great progress.  I think the stretching is the most important part of recovery.  This routine will pay dividends.

Keep the inspirational posts coming.

T-43 days.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

hernanu

That's great Gary! one thing this has done is made me more aware of the mechanics within my body. I find myself doing much more of the stretches for the harder to reach muscles. I just know I'll wind up in Yoga and my martial arts crazy family will disown me...  ;D
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 03:34:25 PM by hernanu »

gary2010

Lots of martial artists do yoga, Guro Inosanto does it every day, some of the Brazilians like it as well. I'm going to look into it.

Do you know the stretch from Muay Thai where you place your shin on your partner's hip in round kick position (partner should support the leg), then grip hands (right hand for right leg) and turn the upper body away from the 'kicking' leg as you push your shin in against his/her resistance. This opens the hip right out. Remember the heel of the support foot should be turned fully towards your imaginary target as in a Thai round kick.

I appreciate a diagram would help here but I don't have one!
We used to do this all the time, just had a go and it feels great.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 10:35:26 AM by gary2010 »

hernanu

Sounds good, I was just kidding about yoga, I have a lot of respect for it.

I haven't seen that stretch, although I have done some mutual stretches, including a similar one before. I'll have to check it out.

gary2010

Re: Left hip resurfaced for osteoarthritis by Jeremy Latham in Southampton U.K.
« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2011, 01:01:57 PM »
Ok I’m on the ponce now, but it’s all in a good cause! I trust the admins won’t object.

My friends and I have decided to use our passion for martial arts to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support.

On the 15th of October I shall be taking part in the first ever 'Beat The Crap Out Of Cancer' charity stick fighting event in the UK, which will be running alongside simultaneous events in Canada, USA and Hawaii.

We will be sparring with weapons in various formats but I shall be using rattan canes and minimal protective equipment.

For all I know, I’m the first surface hippy to do this; if you’d like to donate to this excellent cause, you can do so here:

http://www.justgiving.com/Gary-Stacey0

Much appreciated, G x
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 01:09:46 PM by gary2010 »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat