+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: PT Hurts  (Read 3057 times)

littleb

PT Hurts
« on: September 11, 2010, 09:52:49 PM »
After some issues getting the home PT started, I began Tuesday and had 3 sessions this week. Strength is pretty poor in the operated leg and I do so want to dance at least a little at my daughter's wedding in 3 weeks.

He has me doing two sets, 3X a day of; sitting in a chair lifting bent knee 20X then swinging my leg up and back slowly 20x, on the bed, semi seated, bringing foot back till knee is bent 20x, bringing my leg straight to the side about 40 degrees and back 20x and lifting straight leg up off the bed about 6 inches 20x. I do all the bed work with the non operated side's knee bent. I have a herniated disk at L2 that has been giving me problems for months.

Day one and two went well even though all was very difficult to do. Day three I started getting pain in the groin and my back so I didn't do the 3rd session. Forth day I was stiff and in pain. I told the PT and he modified the bed work with me sitting up a little higher which seemed to take some of the strain off my back.. Last night when I went to bed I could hardly walk my groin hurt so much and still hurt this morning. I took the day off and just dis some walking. Am I doing too much? Did PT hurt anyone else this much? I was pretty much done with pain pills but I had to start taking them again. I'm also on a muscle relaxant for my back which I would think should help for my legs as well.

Just wanted to know if anyone else had this experience.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: PT Hurts
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 08:35:06 AM »
Hi

If PT is hurting you that much, back off.  Many surgeons don't even have their patients do a lot of PT, just a lot of walking.  Why don't you do a little slow dancing now and then.  That would get you ready for the wedding.   Dancing is good exercise.  Backs and knees often cause a lot of problems after hip surgery.  It takes months for things to settle down.  I would not do anything that hurt a lot - you body is saying something.  Do what is comfortable.  You can't push thru pain early on. You body needs to heal and you can't push it.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Lopsided

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 08:54:05 AM »
Physiotherapy should not hurt, I am sure.

Most of the exercises you describe seem reasonable, but I do know that lifting your leg(s) straight while lying is difficult and could put some strain on your groin. My doctor has had me doing that for years for my back, but after surgery, the physiotherapist said that was an advanced exercise.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

John C

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 07:47:25 PM »
My feeling is that the first 4-6 weeks are for healing, not pushing it. If it hurts a lot during that early period, then I think that it may be too much. There is time later in the healing process for pushing things, but early on is the time to take things easy. Lots of gentle movements like pool time, walking with whatever aids you need to move pain and limp free, and many of the movements you described; but listen to your body. If it says "ouch", it is saying "too much, not yet". Once you have given it a chance to heal, then you can put on the theme song from "Rocky", and start pushing things harder.
Dr. Gross discourages going to PTs after you leave the hospital, since he feels that they often push things too hard during that first month or so.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM