+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: four and a half months, not good  (Read 2335 times)

glgwett

four and a half months, not good
« on: September 11, 2010, 09:40:58 PM »
I had a bilateral BLR on 4/30/10 w/ Dr. Su. Three months prior to surgery my left knee started giving me problems and I saw saw his assistant, who claimed there were no structural issues, so I proceeded with the surgery. I started oupatient PT at week 5 and by week 8 the pain in my left knee was chronic and severe. I then changed to a different PT recommended by the PA at his office (since retired), with mixed results. At my last visit w/the surgeon, two weeks ago, I was advised to stop PT, "relax", walk, bike ride and go to the gym. He also could not understand why I still needed pain medication.

Well, guess what. Things have only gotten worse. The left knee pain is chronic, and my right hip/side is so stiff that I walk like quasimoto which obviously makes matters worse, despite how much streching I do.

Help please?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: four and a half months, not good
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 09:44:19 AM »
Hi

I am sorry to hear you are still having problems.  Sometimes the associated knee and back problems take a year or more to settle down.  Bad hips make the body very imbalanced and puts a lot of pressure on the knees and back.  To me, I think the recent thought of backing off on the PT makes sense.  You need to let your body rest a bit.  Maybe keep up with your walking.  Have you tried any water therapy like water walking?  Many people find it to help a lot.  You are able to exercise, yet not strain your hips and knees.  If you can, find a pool and try it out.  You might be very surprised how much it helped.  I did it about 6 weeks post op.  Here is a page about it http://www.surfacehippy.info/poolexercises.php  and more articles here  http://www.surfacehippy.info/ptarticles.php   My surgeon always said don't push, if it hurts don't do it.  I would try to give your body a bit of down time with just normal walking and living.  I hope things get better soon.  Some people take up to a year to heal.  We all heal on our own bodies schedule.  Sometimes we just can't push it.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

glgwett

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 12:54:06 PM »
Thanks for your advice, Pat. I have not tried the water because I hurt my shoulder on the crutches in May (!!!), but there is no reason that I could not try the exercises you showed. It's very hard for me to "rest" or take it easy, as I bind up so much without stretching a couple times a day. I'm also concerned about scar tissue while I'm in this relative "rest" period without PT. Would you say that my types of issues are more common in those with a bilateral?

Thanks

littleb

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 07:38:37 PM »
I assume you are talking about Blair. I am friendly with the office staff (Dr. Kelly's staff, now Dr. Su's as well since they are all in the new hip center) and they commented that she quit because she couldn't handle the job and burnt out. There was eye rolling. I had not been happy with her attitude and she had a lot to do with why at first I was told I was not a candidate for resurfacing - she did the initial intake. I didn't know the right questions to ask then but found this group right after and did a second opinion via email with Dr. DeSmet and went over everything again with Dr. Su and now have my BHR.

I am also having issues with my knee. The same thing happened after arthoscopy we tried first. At that time Dr. Kelly xrayed my knee and felt it was muscle imbalance. I'm pretty sure that's what it is again so PT is working me on it. Maybe call Dr. Su's office and see if you can get a script for PT to work on it. Pricilla and Christina are great.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat