+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pre-op Conditioning  (Read 2026 times)

stevejco

Pre-op Conditioning
« on: September 12, 2010, 10:18:19 AM »
Hello all,

I'm scheduled for Bi-lat BHR's with Dr Marchand on Dec 7.  There is a lot of wonderful information on post-op physical therapy but very little on pre-op conditioning. Having over 2 months to prepare for surgery I was wondering if there were any specific exercises that would help in my recovery. I'm assuming that the post-op exercises would also help pre-op and some upper body work will make the use of crutches easier.  What do you feel made a difference in your recovery?

Thanks, Steve

sorry, wasn't sure if this should be a new topic or not.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 10:21:10 AM by stevejco »

moe

Re: Pre-op Conditioning
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 06:34:22 PM »
Steve, I think you have it right, the post op exercises will be excellent for pre op. Walking, cycling, any kind of resistance work that you can manage withstanding your pain. I did squats, lunges and leg extensions. Resistance bands are excellent. You want to strengthen the muscles surrounding the butt and hips. This is all good, just don't overdo it and beat yourself up. moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Big Bill

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 02:51:27 PM »
Big Bill here... Hi Steve...check into some water aerobics classes. The YMCA has pretty good classes ranging from low impact shallow to deep water cardio and water boot camp. I did them for a solid year b4 my procedure and still attend classes when I want to mix it up or it is too hot(Houston , Texas). After your incision is healed it is also a great rehab!

Big Bill   C.A.S.H.     

angelena99

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 05:05:39 PM »
Hi - I am also pre-op and doing some physical therapy which they say will make post-op easier...!  My physical therapist is familiar with resurfacing, which allows me to believe her about the post-op.  I should probably state "I am not a licensed body work professional" in any way, and I hope it's ok for me to just describe what they've told me to do.

Like moe said, strengthening the muscles around the butt and hips.  They've got me doing "clamshells" which I've heard talked about here:  lay on your side, knees bent, and open the knees, keeping feet together.  Do this without moving your hips back or forth, try to keep them still using abdominals, so that the gluteus medius (muscle on the side of your butt) does the work.  I'm doing 2 sets of 15 each side.  Twice a day if I can, which honestly only happens on the weekend.

Another one is the "bridge": lay on your back, arms straight by sides, knees bent, feet flat on the floor.  Lift your hips/butt up, squeezing your glutes, push as far as you can, (I try to imagine I'm stretching my hip flexors on the front of my hips).  For additional challenge, these can be done using only your heels (works the hamstring harder), or only with one foot (makes the hamstring cramp - oh, sorry, it works it harder as well as kicking in all the core muscles used for balance), or with your feet on an exercise ball (again with the core muscles for balance).  Again 2 sets of 15 - I try to do at least one set with one of the challenges.

Also walking sideways with an exercise band around my legs, wall squats, stretching hip flexors and quads....

stevejco

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 08:15:24 PM »
Angelena, Big Bill and Moe

Thanks for the great suggestions. I've just been doing some basic stretching but I plan on getting into a routine by the end of the week. I have a limited RoM but can do clamshells, planks, bridges, wall squats and leg raises.

Big Bill, I really like the pool idea and should be able to work a few sessions in before surgery.

Moe, the resistance bands sure take it up a notch!

Angelena, what size exercise ball are you using for the bridges?  I'm thinking I could use a foot stool, in place of an exercise ball, to put my feet on to get the most out of those bridges.

I'm convinced that a little hard work now will pay off in a big way later.

Thank you all for your input,

Steve

littleb

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 08:45:34 PM »
I did a lot of pre op PT because I have a herniated disk to deal with on top of the hip issue. I'm now almost 4 weeks post op and I wish I had focused more on my quads. They are my weakest point now. My ROM is pretty good already but by the end of the day my quads hurt, particularly on the inner thigh side.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

angelena99

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 07:33:24 PM »
We have a pretty large exercise ball, so my feet are at least level with my knees to start the bridge....

The quad thing made me think - my right hip is the bad one, and I frequently feel like I've pulled my left quad, I assume from some sort of compensation move I'm doing....  Probably would be a good idea to strengthen both sides pre-op.

sfinrecovery

• Right Hip BHR November 8, 2010
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 01:40:35 AM »
Great topic, Steve, thanks!  I am pre-op as well and I have concentrated on water exercises 3 times per week (water at 92 degrees, feels great) and the exercises Angelina mentioned.  Pre-op exercises proved very valuable when I did the original arthroscopy for labral tear, etc.  Just remember to ice afterwards!!! ;D

Juan

stevejco

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 09:11:31 PM »
thanks for contributing Juan.  When are you scheduled for surgery?

I started working my quads yesterday with lying side leg raises (self explanitory) and adductor squeezes - Lie on your back with knees raised at 90 degrees.  Place ball or pillow between knees. Simply squeeze knees together.  Pause for a second. Release back to start.
I tried lunges but found them to painful for my hips.

Lopsided

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 02:10:29 AM »
One thing my local doctor said to me, however much or little exercise you do before the operation, keep your bodyweight down!

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat