+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Steve, newbie bilateral, waiting for surgery Jan. 2011, Dr.Gross, S.C.  (Read 2378 times)

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
Hello all! I found out my surgery will be in January 2011.  Although it sounds kinda scary I can't wait and if I could go tomorrow I would. I still can't believe my hips are this bad and how fast they deteriorated. I am 55 years old and have been active all my life. Hiking and backpacking were a big part of my life until about 2 years ago. The pain started in my left hip and I thought I was just over working it (age, etc., the usual thoughts). The pain got so bad that about a year ago I went to an orthopedic surgeon and he gave me the bad news. Moderate to advanced osteoarthritis in BOTH hips. I was devastated. He told me there was nothing he could do for me and I would be back in a few years to see him or someone else to have surgery. Soon after seeing him the right side started to hurt and today it's worse than the left. Physical therapy and the therapeutic pool at the local Y helped but not much. I fell into depression and thought my active life was pretty much over. A little over two years ago I could hike anywhere with over 50 pounds of gear on my back with just a little soreness afterward. Today I can't walk for than 50 yards without hurting, sometimes so bad I have to stop for a while until the pain dies down then I can continue. Forget riding a bicycle, it hurts just thinking of trying to get on it. I tried sitting on my ATV the other day, forget it, I can't straddle it to sit down. There is so much that I miss so bad and I can't do anymore. I never heard of hip resurfacing until I found websites like this one. About 2 - 3 months ago I was looking for any kind of help for my hips, the thought of THR did not appeal to me at all. When I discovered HR I was so excited I could hardly sleep for two nights! People I talk to can't understand why I look forward to the surgery and I'm not terrified. If anything the part that drives me nuts is the waiting for the surgery and the recovery period after wards. Time flies but it seems like it will be so long. It makes me feel good to read the success stories and know real people have and are going through what I am. Isn't it fantastic that there is hip resurfacing surgery?!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 10:12:55 PM by newdog »
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Lopsided

Re: Steve, newbie bilateral, waiting for surgery Jan. 2011, Dr.Gross, S.C.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 11:07:57 PM »
People I talk to can't understand why I look forward to the surgery and I'm not terrified.

I was excited and looking forward to my operation too. I am four weeks out now, and have already got more movement than before the operation. Although there are a few things that are mildly unpleasant, broadly it is an experience that is interesting and you can even enjoy.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

DirkV

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 11:45:15 PM »
Hi Steve,
Welcome. And good luck on your upcoming surgery. You'll probably go through a range of emotions in the months ahead, but I can definitely relate to your excitement. As I was in the surgery prep, I mentioned to the Dr. and anesthesiologist that I felt an excitement that I hadn't felt since my last tournament hockey game some years ago. I meant that to inform the anesthesiologist that I had a lot of adrenaline coursing through my body at that time. He smiled and pointed at his vial of that relaxing drug they give before wheeling you into the OR, and said with a grin "I have something to calm you down." After he put that into the IV, I started to give advice on making sure to shave my surgical area so that bandages wouldn't stick, and then my wife told me to stop talking :-) .
For encouragement, I was in a very similar position to yours a few years ago. Within a period of 2 yrs, I went from very active to a state that sounds very similar to yours. I'm now 2 1/2 yrs or so post op, and it's going great. It's to the point where I almost take for granted the active life I have regained. But the past few days, I've been really aware of just how well it's going. Just a few examples that might give you further hope / excitement for getting this done:
* Although I've never had a "bucket list," when I couldn't hike much anymore, I thought "darn, I always wanted to hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon; guess I won't do that."
Next week, my wife and I and another couple are hiking to the bottom of the canyon.
* Today, I received registration confirmation for 109 mile Tour de Tucson bike ride (timed event), upcoming in a couple months.
* Tonight, starts a new hockey season, and I've moved up a level to play in the same league I last played in 5 yrs ago before the hip arthritis started debilitating too bad.
The list goes on. What's really important are things like being able to shoot hoops w/ my son, chase the kids around, not being in pain - and cranky - when doing yard work.
Keep lookin up,
-Dirk
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 11:46:14 PM by DirkV »
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 12:21:22 PM »
lopsided,
Thank you for the encouragement. I like the picture of the dog. That is a happy dog!

-Steve, newbie from Happy Valley,PA

Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 12:46:25 PM »
Dirk,
Thanks for the encouraging words. You won't believe this, but I want to return to the Grand Canyon and hike it again. In September 2006 I completed a rim to rim hike with two male friends. South Rim to North Rim, it took 3 days and was very rigorous. My wife did not go because I knew she couldn't do it at that time. I had plans to return in 2 years and take her along and we could hike part way down or go to the river like you will do. With the bad hips that killed that idea forever. It crushed me because I could never share that experience with her.  When you go you will see what I mean. If you never did it before it will change you forever. Beautiful and exciting experience. Of all the things that bothered me about not being able to hike again, that was the worst. I know now I'll be able to go again and take her along. Look what I did 4 years ago, I still can't believe how bad I am today. I was a little stiff and sore but that was it. I know what you mean about the yard work and being cranky. I have to watch my mood and temper. Sometimes just thinking about doing something physical hurts. Enjoy the canyon! Remember, while you are there--drink water, drink water, drink water.

Lopsided

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 11:42:22 PM »
Woof !

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz