+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: muscle cramps on operated side  (Read 1639 times)

pc

muscle cramps on operated side
« on: September 17, 2010, 10:46:38 AM »
Just a quick question. I am 8 days post op and things are going extremely well. I haven't need pain meds and remain quite active. A minimum of three walks per day of 15 to 20 minutes each walk.  I have a home pt visit three times a week. The only issue at this point is that that my blood hasn't reached the desired numbers. So, all in all I couldn't be more thrilled, but I have been experiencing some pretty intense muscle cramps on my operated side quads and IT band. They come and go as I walk, mostly in the a.m. The pt has helped stretch the quads etc. and she really doesn't think that I am overly aggressive with amount of my activity. She really doesn't have an answer and I am not really concerned other than it slows me down. My question is for those hippies who have previously gone through recovery; if you experienced these little gremlins what were you able to do to relieve them, or do they just go away as the body adjusts? I might add that rest doesn't seem to help. As stated before most of these happen in the a.m. after a full nights rest. And, I do stretch in the morning to warm up the area prior to making any efforts to walk. I am sure it's all part of the recovery, but any help would be appreciated. Rick

moe

Re: muscle cramps on operated side
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 11:18:26 AM »
I didn't experience that but perhaps more hydration might help. I drink Gatorade whenever I am ill or dehydrated and it seems to help. Good luck, moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Luann

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 11:53:19 PM »
Hi PC,
 I don't think I had quite the same cramps as you are, either, but I would get cramps at night while trying to sleep (sleeping was super hard to do for the first couple of months!) and I would reposition the leg-ouch! My solution (after the staples were out, of course) was to stand in the hot- I mean scalding hot- shower for as long as it took to feel better. I put a walker in there so I could hold on to it and not fall. This was the solution for me, and it also made me sleepy. However, it was not good for the electric bill! So I splurged for my hip's sake. Good luck, I hope you find relief, Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

Lopsided

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 02:32:16 AM »
I only had cramps once, about four days out, at night, I got painful cramp in the bottom of my hamstring right behind the knee. It subsided quickly with a little pressure from below, and I got to sleep.

The next morning the physiotherapist asked, "Why didn't you stretch?"

So it seems to be, whenever you get a cramp, stretch it out!

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

littleb

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 06:11:22 PM »
I'm at 5 weeks and have had some muscle cramping. Nights after a busy day are the worst. PT 3x per week at home, 3x per day at times is too much. I have periodically taken a potassium suppliment which does help as does hot showers. I actually do my first sets of stretching in the shower. Some days are just better than others.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

TMoney

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 03:39:30 AM »
I think the cramping really is more spasming of some seriously pissed off muscles. Were you aware that to get the exposure for your BHR your knee was near your ear on the affected side? Granted some of the muscles are dissected off the femur but others saw significant stretch to get us positioned for our procedures. When I awoke from my case the spasms were all I really felt & the disappearance of the preop pain almost made giddy (seriously almost started laughing when I realized I was at maximum pain & it was not bad). My adductors gave me the most grief but that subsided failry quicky & the oral muscle relaxants seemed to help with that immensely. Six weeks out & feel better than I have in years!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear