+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 13 day update  (Read 1511 times)

pc

13 day update
« on: September 22, 2010, 04:31:52 PM »
Post op 13 days and rolling. So far all is good. I am really focusing on regaining a normal gait. I have to admit I developed some nasty compensation patterns the past few years. I have to concentrate keeping my hips, head and shoulders aligned when walking. When I do it properly it seems very foreign at this point. I am determined to get things right. I want to make sure that when I begin running again everything is in balance. The good news is that I have 5 months to figure it out. Other than that minor detail,  I am gaining strength each day and have experienced very little pain along the way (so far no pain meds needed). The only time that I feel pain is during pt appointments when we work the operated leg side up and out to the side. The pt is suggesting that I take a pain med prior to our session in order to facilitate working my ROM. I may try that tomorrow. I have yet to gain strength in the groin area, but she tells me that will be the last to recover.  I continue to walk, walk, walk by breaking my walks into three 30-40 minute walks each day (one crutch aided). I have found that keeps any swelling down and I don't get too fatigued by days end. I also throw in a 15 minute stationary bike ride with no tension to warm things up. I am sleeping well through the night and can now sleep on my non operated side.

I am enjoying the challenges and goals of each day. There is something about reaching mile stones and setting new ones that is seductive. Right now goal one is to walk normally, goal #2 is to regain top conditioning, from there skiing this season, and lastly to be able to start running at 6 months. Very do able! But not without focus! Thanks again Pat for this web site. Without it I may well be recovering with a total hip replacement rather than my resurface. Of course, I would contemplating other goals, perhaps not as lofty. Rick

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: 13 day update
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 07:40:03 PM »
Hi Rick

Thanks for the update.  Don't push too hard, you will have plenty of time for that.  Every month seems to bring a different level of recovery.

Take it easy.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 06:18:53 AM »
You're ahead of me, Rick!
I am also at 13 days, 30 mins with a stick is my limit before I start limping and compensating, though I'm also doing P.T. 3 times a day. My second walk of the day would be a slow short one, concentrating on good form. I still can't lie on the operated side for too long, and I've been advised against the other one because I have a mid line restriction. I'm going to try the static bike soon, if I can get on it without breaking 90*; It looks as if we will start running at about the same time.
All the best G

Luann

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 02:04:21 PM »
Hi Gary,
 I had a recumbant stat bike that I rode after 10 days... to keep from breaking the 90 degree rule, I just moved the seat back a little more.
Worked great! Good luck and healing, Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 03:51:02 PM »
Hi Lu, you know I tried out the recumbent bikes at the gym before the op, I found them pretty awkward compared to the standard type, maybe there are different sorts. I've had a difficult 2 days so I'm resting for a bit now.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear