+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Female Firefighter needs hip resurfacing  (Read 2325 times)

rotag

Female Firefighter needs hip resurfacing
« on: November 20, 2007, 09:03:12 AM »
Hi.  I am having a hip resurfacing on November 29th.  I have severe osteoarthritis, caused by hip displasia.  I had no clue I had hip displasia, or maybe I would have chosen another career.  I am a 50 year old female, firefighter.  I kept going for years through the pain, thinking I had a groin issue, only to find out it was bone on bone in my right hip. This was diagnosed 6 years ago. Thank God for Vioxx and Bextra, allthough we know they are off the market, but because of those drugs, which I called a miracle, I could manage my pain....NON-NARCOTIC.  Anyway, I have been on Celebrex for years..and it never worked as well as the others.  To make a long story short, I am looking foward to greater mobility, pain reduction and day to day living doing what I like to do and not have this physical restriction.  I have continued to work out daily, except in the last month because the pain has gone from bad to worse.  I have read many blogs and discussion groups online and thank goodness they are there.  Its nice to see others function again, so I know that I just have to be patient and not rush my rehab.  I will continue to read in this forum, so any other pointers anyone can give me would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 10:00:18 PM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Introduction of me
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 02:41:54 PM »
Hi Rotag

Welcome to Hip Talk.  Many of us understand your story because we have "been there and done that".   Fortunately, we now have great new hips thanks to hip resurfacing.

Where do you live and what surgeon are you going to have your hip resurfacing with?

Many of us were lucky and had fairly quick and easy recoveries.  I wish the same for you.

Please keep in touch and let us know if you need any other information.  If not, we are here to talk and give you support.  Nov. 29th is not far away.  You will have a new hip for Christmas!

Keep in touch.

Pat Webmaster/Owner Surface Hippy
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dennis

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 04:52:02 PM »
Dear Rotag,

Good luck with the surgery.  Like you, I have been told that I am "bone on bone".  I had to give up running, of course, but substituted bicycling in its place.  I don't take any medications.  I take glucosamine and chondrointin, hyaluronic acid, msm, and fish oil for the joint situation.  I know I will wind up having the surgery some day, probably not too far off. 

Would you be willing to describe your pain symptoms.  I believe I've got 2 issues going.  The loss of the hip joint cartillage and a possible lower back/sciatica issue.  Some tell me that the lower back issue will resolve after I take care of the hip.  In other words, the hip is causing the sciatica and leg pain.  However, I believe that I can distinguish the hip pain from the other. What are your symptoms?  How have the changed, with time?

I'm not sure where in the U.S. you are located.  I'm in California and am in the process of looking around for a surgeon.  I think it would be best to have a relationship going with one rather than looking at the last minute.  How did you go about choosing your surgeon?  Would you mind telling me who your surgeon will be?

From all that I read, I think you will be a much happier camper after you have had the surgery.  I wish you a very speedy recovery.  Will you be returning to your work as a firefighter?

That's it for now.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Dennis

rotag

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »
I live in Bradenton Florida.  My surgeon is Dr. Alan Valadie.  He is one of the co-founders of the Joint Care Center at Blake Hospital in Bradenton.  He has an excellent reputation and has performed this surgery numerous times (I have no idea of the number).  He told me when I went to him in September 2007, it was a good thing I waited, since the FDA had approved the Birmingham Hip last spring.  Otherwise, I was looking at a total hip replacement.  I am very active and I think the hardest part for me, after I get home, is not to push my re-hab, and to do exactly as I am told.

I am looking forward to having a normal, or close to normal leg/hip...it has been a very long time.  I am also very anxious about the upcoming surgery. I plan on connecting with people through this and other websites, so I can get through this with people that understand.

Anyway...thanks for responding.

rotag

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 05:05:33 PM »
Dennis

Hi.  My first symptom was a shooting pain in my right groin area.  I basically ignored it for a year or two, just writing it off as pain due to the job.  After a while, my left leg would kind of "give-out", while walking and the pain was bad.  So...I went to a sports medicine doctor, and he did some range of motion movements with my right leg and he felt it was more than a groin tear, or pull.  They took x-rays and saw the bone on bone.  No cartilage at all.  He said..this is bad.  Needless to say, I cried, thinking my career was over.  I was then refered to my current doctor, who works in the same place.  That was almost 6 years ago.  So, my advise to you, is establish with a doctor, get x-rays..they will confirm, and yes...I have some back pain due to the fact my leg has contorted some and I walk different..as the years have gone by, thus putting stress on other parts of my body, including my right knee. 

I live in Florida and I noticed on this site, there is a list of doctors, by state.  Maybe you could check into one of those.  I trust my doctor, and his reputation preceeds him.

Take care

rotag

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 05:07:40 PM »
Correction on my reply to Dennis...it is NOT MY LEFT LEG, but my right leg !!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear