+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scuba diving and risk of osteobaric necrosis  (Read 3082 times)

Scott C

Scuba diving and risk of osteobaric necrosis
« on: November 20, 2007, 08:03:54 PM »
Scuba diving has been associated with AVN of the femoral head (osteobaric necrosis/dysbaric necrosis). Has anyone been told by their surgeon that they should not scuba dive after reufacing because of this risk or have they given some limitations on when to begin scuba diving?
Dr Su - Right Hip Resurfacing - 4/10/08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Scuba diving and risk of osteobaric necrosis
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 09:21:25 PM »
Hi

I just thought I would toss in some interesting info.  I know a local man that was a deep sea diver in the North Sea some years ago.  He had very bad AVN and had his hip resurfaced with Dr. Amstutz several years ago. THat is how I leaned about hip resurfacing.

It is interesting how the nitrogen, I think, will settle into a  hip joint.

He is a happy camper now with his hip resurfacing.  He is in his late fifties and does not deep sea dive any more.

I would not think that once you have your hip resurfaced that you would have a problem with the AVN.  It is removed when they shave the top of the femur bone from what I understand.

Why don't you ask your surgeon what he/she thinks about scuba diving.

I read about several people that have had hip resurfacings that do scuba dive.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Gavin

Re: Scuba diving and risk of osteobaric necrosis
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 04:18:22 AM »
I'm also very interested in the answer to this question on scuba diving.I have been a serious scuba diver for the past 30 years and would dearly love to be able to continue.
I have a bilateral BHR scheduled for early December after having ;D been struggling with OA for the past 4 years.
Over the past few months I have gained a lot of valuable information from Surfacehippy.
Many thanks Pat for your dedication and commitment.It has been a breathe of fresh air to find a site so positive and informative.It has been truly reassuring during a stressful time,firstly grappling with a pair of worn out hips,then having to deal with various insurance issues.
Keep up the wonderful work.

Gavin

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat