+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Two Weeks and Counting!!! Any Advice???  (Read 2166 times)

jjmclain

Two Weeks and Counting!!! Any Advice???
« on: October 28, 2010, 12:52:40 PM »
I am having Left BHR two weeks from today! It can't come soon enough! I would appreciate it if anyone had any pre-surgery advice or advice on what to expect while in the hospital. I'm feeling a little nervous...hoping it doesn't end up being a total hip replacement. I am a very active 48 year old female so I am hoping that is on my side!! Thanks! ;D

Chris James

Re: Two Weeks and Counting!!! Any Advice???
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 02:25:13 PM »
Hi JJ I am having my LBHR Nov,9 I had my right side done on Aug, 31.The rehab is the hard part, surgery is not as bad as you think. just think how much better you will feel when the pain is gone. No more hip pain!! I cant wait to get the other side done so I can get back to living life. hope all goes well for you. God Speed!!!
RBHR 8/31/10 LBHR 11/9/10 Dr Mark Anderson Green Bay,Wi

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 03:22:57 PM »
Hi

Everyone gets nervous.  Best to use all that thinking for deciding how you are going to spend next summer with the new hip.  Stay positive.  If you want very detailed information about what to expect, try looking up the personal stories from other patients of your surgeon  http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories.php  There are some day by day and hour by hour descriptions of the surgery, hospital stay and post op recovery.  There are also stories in the Personal Hip Stories section of this discussion group.  Here's my book about my surgery  http://www.surfacehippy.info/belgium&mybhrebook.php

Good Luck.
Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

jjmclain

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 03:51:35 PM »
Thanks everyone! I am looking forward to sleeping again...that and sitting are the worst! Thanks for all of the info.

jack

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 09:58:22 PM »
Speaking of sleeping, a recliner is touted by most as a necessary thing to have while you are recovering. I slept/lived in one for a month and was very glad I had it!!

Key is not to rush, let healing take its time and listen to your caregivers. It will get better everyday.
Right BHR by Dr. Clarke  5-19-10

My BHR Story

jgenese

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 07:47:58 AM »
I am a 45 yr old male and I can totally relate to what you're going through. I just had my left BHR last Friday. There are lots of thoughts swirling around your mind prior to the surgery. It helps to go on this forum to read about others who just went through it. We are fortunate we have a choice between resurfacing and total. My hip was really bad and I don't think I could have gone another week living with that pain. I also feared the damage would be so bad that the only choice would be a total. Not true. I was happy to see the surgeon in recovery as he handed me the xray of my new resurfacing and it was a success. Keep yourself busy in the next few weeks getting everything done around the house for the upcoming holidays. That alone should keep your mind off of the surgery. It's only been a week since my surgery and that pain I've been suffering with for years is gone. I am still in some discomfort from the surgery but physical therapy at home is going better than expected. I go for my first check up on Monday then start outpatient PT Tuesday. Take your time after surgery and let your body heal and do exactly what the phisical therapists tell you and you'll be so amazed. What a great way to start off the new year. Let me know if you need any information or advice.  Best of luck to you and enjoy life!

Kennesaw-Jac

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 10:29:39 AM »
I am 1 week 2 days into post op recovery.  Not too bad.  Still on walker with tightness in quad and hip.  Swelling is confined to just hip area and not that bad.  Still on pain meds and muscle relaxers.  Walking with walker 10 minutes.  Advice for pre op is to work all leg muscles in the gym.  Concentrate on range of motion and stretching.  Don't forget cardio.  Important in keeping blood pressure in good range. I'm 56, 185 lbs. and always have been very active.  Hip took a lot in youth from karate since I was right side dominate.  Doc said no cartledge left, but no cists and good surface for BHR.  Sleeping at night sucks.  I highly suggest a recliner.  The recliner has been my lifesafer.  Easy in, easy out and can give you different positions to take pressure off different points of your body.  If you do not have a recliner, go buy one.  You'll thank me later.  :) I'll post in another week or so for updates.

jjmclain

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 12:55:36 PM »
Thanks to everyone who posted, for your advice! Yes, trying to stay active. I am an athlete as well as a fitness instructor and personal trainer, so I am doing what I still can. Hopefully sleeping at night can't be any worse than it is now! We do have a recliner. I will follow doctors orders as well. Those who just had surgery recently, good luck in your recovery and keep us posted!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 01:04:13 PM by jjmclain »

Cutter3

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 07:23:59 PM »
I'm 6 weeks post-op today, and here's what we planned for...

Check with your insurance provider to see what they cover for durable medical equipment.   We rented an electric hospital bed and trapeze, as well as a commode/raised toilet seat.   All of these made the first few weeks a LOT more comfortable.   I have a recliner as well, and the bed (for me) was a lot more comfortable in the bed at night - being electric, you can move into a lot of different positions (may not be possible with a recliner) and be comfortable as your body adjusts and recovers (we also went to costco and bought a 3" memory foam mattress pad to put on top of the hospital bed - it's now on my son's bed, and he loves it!  :)   ).   The hospital sent me home with a walker and crutches.   I bought a cane at CVS, and that was about it for durable medical equipment.

When I got home, the bed was set up in the downstairs den.   It was set apart from the main traffic area of the house, and for me that turned out to be a good thing - at first, I wore out very easily.   Being set apart from the hustle and bustle of everyday life in the house helped greatly.   I have also been lucky to have a full bathroom attached to the den.

Now for the sensitive stuff - I was told I would not be able to shower for 10-14 days, and while I could give myself a spongebath, I strongly recommend that you get some of the flushable wipes.    They make certain other aspects of not showering for that long much more bearable.     ;D

Good luck with your surgery.

Chris

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat