+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Airport Security  (Read 6715 times)

hipnhop

Airport Security
« on: November 16, 2010, 11:02:20 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had any funny stories with HR and passing through airport security. I travel a lot for work and I'm wondering what to expect. Please share.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

fenceman

Re: Airport Security
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 10:10:06 AM »
Just be ready for the new extreme pat-down by the TSA.  I was upset because the agent did not give me flowers after he groped me.

Your new hip will set off the metal detector at airports. Most agents look at me funny when I tell them I have a metal hip (46). My Dr. did give me a card saying I have a metal hip but they do not want to see it.  I have not been through the body scanner yet.

Give your self plenty of time at the airport.
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Gino

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 11:05:28 AM »
Why people put up with what amounts to blatant sexual assault is beyond me. Because some goon in a state issued costume does it makes it ok? I'm done flying.

bad_hips_guy

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 12:17:10 PM »
Let's just say, if you are travelling with family or co-workers, tell them to meet you at the Lounge and have a beer waiting for you!    i.e.) allow plenty of time through screening!

My first airport experience was just 6-weeks post-op, so I had my cane with me and it was a little more obvious that I had a "condition".

My last experience was just a couple of weeks ago.  I had a Sunday 11:59 p.m. flight, so needless to say airport staff was a little light.  After explaining to the security person that I had a "Medical Device", I walked through the metal detector, and of course, set it off.  She asked me to walk through again, which I did, with the same results. 

Now, the "TSA Rocket-Scientist" asked me to make sure my pockets were empty, my belt was off, all jewelry removed, yada, yada, yada....which it was.....and get this:  had me walk through again!

I told her that I could go through "naked" and it was not going to make a difference....that I had a hip replacement!!!  She just looked at me....and said that there wasn't a "Male" TSA person on duty to search me.  Wow! Not what I expected!  I said I didnt care "who" searched me...but that I was NOT going to miss my flight over this!

Finally, they found a male to conduct the rather "extensive" search, and let me go!  He was a nice kid, and said that the new screening scanners were going to be my friend!  I agreed.

Now, leaving Caracas, Venuzuela was another story in itself!  Let's just say, I probably could have gotten my Colonoscopy at the same time if I had asked for it!!!   ;D

Be Patient, Be Fexible, and Allow time!

littleb

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 12:54:27 PM »
Apparently US flyers aren't happy with getting felt up to fly nor are they real happy about the new scanners. Congress will be getting on the band wagon it seems with suggesting again a private company doing security. I guess it's ok if someone in a quasi military uniform touches you where only your mother or lover should.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

bigblue

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 07:03:10 PM »
I went on a golf trip last week and was patted down both going and coming back. Time wise it only took another five minutes to go through the procedure. It really did not bother me. I think I would rather have the scanners but I do not care either way.

hipnhop

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 08:37:30 PM »
Thanks for the posts. I heard Docs issue travel cards but they are useless to TSA. Will the new scanner pick up our medical devices or do we need to just get grouped.  That would not be fun. Why waster time with the scanner, just tel them to go ahead and feel you up.

This is problematic because each time we fly we must undergo this inhumane process because of a  medical condition.  It's not like they are going to feel the HR device. 

3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Lopsided

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 09:30:38 PM »
This is problematic because each time we fly we must undergo this inhumane process because of a  medical condition.  It's not like they are going to feel the HR device. 

Degrading, perhaps, or embarrassing, or merely time wasting. But I would not say inhumane.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

resurface

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 05:21:06 AM »
Happens to me every other week when I fly.  Just in Strasbourg France and got felt up twice by the ugliest guys you have ever seen.  Unfortunately, the hot french chick was not a choice.  I guess that it is better than some person next to me with a bomb.   Seriously, I use the scanners when available. It is not a big deal.  We would all bitch at TSA when the next shoe bomber gets through. Just mt perspective.

littleb

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 01:16:42 PM »
I wish I could say this would actually make me feel safer but I can see ways around it that gets the bomb parts on the plane.  ie Woman gets on line tells security she has a metal hip and would prefer the pat down because she's not comfortable with the xray. She has 2 cavities that will not be searched. Oh wait 3 if she has a tiny string tied to a back tooth so she can pull back up the other little part she swallowed. Any nervous behavior is covered by the expected reaction to the pat down and off to the plane she goes.  If I can think of this, you don't think terrorists can as well? We are talking suicide bombers. Determined, they could implant bombs and say it's a BHR or replacement knee.

I think the bomb sniffing dogs would be more effective, faster and less invasive. Less expensive too.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

roosevelt heights

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 03:40:56 PM »
Getting through the TSA screen is a slow process, but expected with the metal. Overall, my experiences have not been as bad as described by others. As son as I make eye contact with the agent, I point to my hips and say "metal in hips." We live in the age where this is necessary. I am grateful that these men and women are doing whatever they can do to try to keep us as safe as possible when I fly.

tricky

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 06:58:51 PM »
Not all airports have the full body scanners, but if they do, go for them!  They will show up the hip device and spare you the delay and humiliation of the full body grope-down.

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 05:03:17 AM »
We flew to JFK en route to Orlando in August.

I was railroaded into a perspex box and wanded all over, by the security men.

It's a bit of a pain as it always takes a few minutes to get done.

I though of saying I had a magnum in my pocket, whilst sitting there!!!!! But then sense prevailed.
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

sheptr

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 12:49:56 PM »
I usually take the body massage, as the line is always shorter, and the full body scanner does not always mean I will still not get the massage anyhow.  I do not find anything offensive about it, and have yet to be touched inappropriatley.  Just people doing a job, that I would have to imagine, are more embarrassed than the people being searched.
I get searched 2-4 times a week going into a high security data center for work.  Biometrics and all.  Everytime, I get wanded (by the same security officers) day after day.  Just doing their jobs ,and just like the TSA, they don't put much stock in the Medical Device Card given by my surgeon.  "oh, that's nice." "well look at that!" "does that work at the airport?"  The card does make it easier to explain, as "I have a metal hip." always seems to fall on deaf ears.
Give yourself a few extra minutes for the airport.  Good luck.

Todd
Dr. Su, LBHR, 12/31/09
LBHR - 12/31/2009 - Dr. Su

littleb

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 05:59:34 PM »
My understanding of the scanner is that it will not see your implant because it doesn't go that deep. Apparently it won't see bomb materials, guns or blades either if they are placed along the side of your body or can be flattened enough and has beveled edges. The scanner thinks it's skin. Google TSA pancake for the stories. It seems they will have to do the pat down anyway even if you do opt for the scanner. Neither pat down nor scanner is fool proof but it now seems the scanner is a total waste of time unless the terrorist puts the bomb in their front pocket and it's bulky. I think more people with implants are being abused and will continue to while the terrorist is determined to get past and odds are he or she will.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

resurface

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 05:00:01 AM »
Littleb

Where do you get your information??  The scanner sees the implant every time!  I fly every other week for business.  I am rarely patted down after going through the scanner.  I will say that I was patted down by a guy in Strasbourg, France and I would have preferred his hot assistant!  No such luck.  It also sees beyond the surface and can see hardware! Whether it is the best tool for the job - I am not certain.  Just went through security yesterday in Hamburg and at London's Heathrow.  No scanners in site.  I did get patted down each time.  They were fast and efficient.

For all the complaning from our citizens, I have reached the following conclusions: (1) I noticed that the TSA folks are nicer. (2) scanners, getting patted down... who cares as long as we fly safer.  Most of the country flies a couple times a year... live with it.

For those wanting to see published scanner information, see the link below.
http://www.tsa.gov/approach/tech/ait/how_it_works.shtm

littleb

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 11:16:47 AM »
From everything I have read the scanner only scans to a depth of seeing through clothing to skin so it can see if you have hidden anything under your clothing. To be able to see the implant the radiation would be higher which would put frequent flyers at risk. If it was to the level of bone I doubt anyone would be complaining that the scan gives basiclly a nudey shot. That's why the viewer is in another room where people cannot casually watch.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

FlbrkMike

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 10:17:19 PM »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Advertisements

Recent Posts