+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: swelling after surgery  (Read 1195 times)

alst

swelling after surgery
« on: November 20, 2010, 11:00:19 AM »
Hello to all. I had my left BHR surgery with Dr. Schmitt on 16-Nov-10 and it went well. I started walking with a walker on the second day and went home on 18-Nov. No too much pain. Incision is healing well. Today's is day 5 and swelling is pretty extensive in the area of the operated thigh above the knee though no extensive pain, just discomfort because of swelling. Per Dr.Schmitt's instructions I am wearing stockings and administer Arixtra blood thinner shots. I am taking 200 mg Advil to reduce swelling. What would be group advice to reduce swelling and when it usually start to subside? Should i keep walking and doing my exercises or try to take it easy for a couple of days. Thank you much for feedback. Best. Al

Left BHR 16-Nov-10
Dr. Schmitt

obxpelican

Re: swelling after surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 01:23:29 PM »
Advil will help with inflamation, thus it will help your pain, ice and elevation is the best thing for swelling.  Stay active by walking some, keep taking your arixtra but back off the extra activity.

I always did foot pumps to keep the blood clots away.

Ice, ice and more ice!!!

BTW--- look up the symptoms of blood clots, pain, swelling redness etc, always call your doctor when in doubt.

Chuck
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 01:26:25 PM by obxpelican »
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

ReneeP

Re: swelling after surgery
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 01:41:23 PM »
I'm day 12 post-op, and my swelling has gone down significantly in the past few days.  I was also very swollen at day 5.  I spent most of my time with my toes above my nose, and icing, icing, icing!  Don't overdo it this early.  I woke up on day 9, and felt significant improvement.  Now I can get up and do some things around the house, but I listen to my body and when I start to feel fatigued or achy, I sit and rest.

Renee
Renee

Right BHR 11/8/10
revised to THR 12/13/10
Dr. John Keggi

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz