+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: crossing the two week post-op mark  (Read 3940 times)

JD Shelnut

crossing the two week post-op mark
« on: November 25, 2010, 06:53:58 AM »
I'm 37 and in good shape, had surgery two weeks ago yesterday.

I just wanted to throw my case study out there for those who can relate to respond with a shared experience. I guess I am not asking a question so much as I hope to just get some feedback and info from others. I am walking on my own, and with use of the cane. I just ended home pt and will start outsourcing pt next week.

I am very stiff first thing in the morning and immediately ice. In week two, the bruising started drifting down my leg and became the main source of pain, especially in regards to getting comfy at night. I am weaning off of the narcotics, taking only one oxycontin at night. That means I am trying to supplant my afternoon Percocet with Advil. At my two week post op visit a few days ago, I was given clearance to drive as long as I was jacked up on narcs.

I have taken off work until Dec. 6th. Surgery was Nov. 10th, so that gives me a total of about three and a half months off. I teach and had the days banked, so I used them. At this point, I get tired so easy, I can't imagine EVER going back to work. Is this a good amount of time off or should I give myself a little more before I try to go back and teach middle schoolers?

So feel free to chime in on 2 week post op experiences with mid-thirties patients. I just want to know what to expect physically/mentally between now and 6 weeks post op. Thanks and God bless.

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
Re: crossing the two week post-op mark
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 08:21:09 AM »
Fairly detailed account of my recovery in hip stories, I'm at 10 1/2 weeks and doing extremely well. Good luck, G

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 01:42:22 PM »
IMHO I think you are borderline with that amount of time, some people have been able to go back in a short time, especially those with desk jobs. 

Will your school allow you to be a bit less mobile your first few weeks?  You will build up strength going back to work, but I really think your first week or so is going to be exhausting.

Chuck

I'm 37 and in good shape, had surgery two weeks ago yesterday.

I just wanted to throw my case study out there for those who can relate to respond with a shared experience. I guess I am not asking a question so much as I hope to just get some feedback and info from others. I am walking on my own, and with use of the cane. I just ended home pt and will start outsourcing pt next week.

I am very stiff first thing in the morning and immediately ice. In week two, the bruising started drifting down my leg and became the main source of pain, especially in regards to getting comfy at night. I am weaning off of the narcotics, taking only one oxycontin at night. That means I am trying to supplant my afternoon Percocet with Advil. At my two week post op visit a few days ago, I was given clearance to drive as long as I was jacked up on narcs.

I have taken off work until Dec. 6th. Surgery was Nov. 10th, so that gives me a total of about three and a half months off. I teach and had the days banked, so I used them. At this point, I get tired so easy, I can't imagine EVER going back to work. Is this a good amount of time off or should I give myself a little more before I try to go back and teach middle schoolers?

So feel free to chime in on 2 week post op experiences with mid-thirties patients. I just want to know what to expect physically/mentally between now and 6 weeks post op. Thanks and God bless.
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

toby

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 06:12:39 PM »
JD,
I'm a teacher too (UK). There was no way I could have or wanted to return to work at the 3.5 week stage-I returned at 7 weeks. HR is major surgery,my GP told me not to rush it and was prepared to sign me off for 3 months-Indeed in the UK you require a certificate stating that you are fit to work for H&S and legal reasons. Teaching is incredibly demanding, give yourself time to recover, concentrate on the physio, learn to walk without a limp, get back your rom, enjoy your recovery and avoid any set backs.
BW
Toby
ps I had a wonderful 7 weeks focusing on me for a change!
LHR Adept-Prof Cobb-30-1-10

halfdone

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 09:40:06 AM »
JD, I was pretty exhausted for many weeks post-op and could not have imagined going back to work at 3.5 weeks.  I also found that when I was doing a lot of PT/exercise that also exacerbated the tiredness.  Is there any way as you ease back into work that you can adapt your schedule and maybe find time out for rest for an hour or so during the day?  That might help your transition back into work.  PS I found that holding onto the cane even when I didn't need it when I was out and about was a very good signal to those around me to give me space - middle schoolers in my experience can be boisterous! Good luck. HD

JD Shelnut

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 12:02:31 PM »
I appreciate all of you who chimed in. I am very, very interested in hearing from others, especially in relation to where I am at and where you were at at the two and a half week mark. I am not scheduled to return to work until the 6th, which gives me another week and a half. However, after reading your posts, my wife and I decided I should try and use some more of my sick days to stay out until Monday the 13th. At that point, I will only have one week prior to our two week Christmas holiday. She suggested that I only work half days that last week. That would give me a total of four and a half weeks off and then five half days. Then I would have two more weeks of holiday break. Does this sound more reasonable?
I am inbetween home pt and outsourced pt. I am just really, really tired and have no will/energy to really get out and about, although I had to get out this past week for Thanksgiving day as well as my Mom's wedding. I just want to chill. I get up and about and try to assist with the kids and the house (serving some meals and loading the dishwasher, etc.) but I just don't find I have much oomph to do much more.

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 09:49:44 AM »
I went back at 4 1/2 weeks, a fairly sedentary factory job. I sit at a bench rather than a desk so the chair was high enought to comply with the 90 degree rule, I kept up the range of motion exercises 3 times a day and lay flat for 20 minutes at lunchtime (to stretch out the scar tissue). I found it useful to have a stick with me as a reminder to myself and others, as by this time it was easy to forget I'd had surgery. The other important thing is not to remain in one position for more than 20 minutes, or you really stiffen up. After 6-7 weeks all the restrictions became irrelevant.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 09:51:00 AM by gary2010 »

andrewmyhre

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 06:18:07 PM »
I'm at 3 weeks to the day and my current situation is not much different than it was 1 week post op.  I was in the Hospital a total of 24 hours.  I was off pain killers after 5 days and off ibuprofen after one week (Therefore I began driving and running errands around town). I did very little icing (very little swelling .... only on the incision). After one week I walked two blocks to the coffee shop in the snow (Minneapolis). I'm either on one crutch or a cane.  I'm self employed so I don't have to leave the house or maintain a 8 hour/day job. My sleeping is only descent, because I like to sleep on my side which creates some discomfort. The only issue I've had since one week is the same one I have now. My hip is uncomfortable when sitting on a chair without alot of padding. Thankfully, I'm not tired at night now like I was during the first 10 days. Also, I'm a very fit 48 year old.
That's my case story .... I believe that I'm progressing much faster than most.
My surgeon was Dr. Palmer in Stillwater Minnesota. He's done over 500 resurfaces and I'm extremely happy with my decision to go with him over Dr. Gross.
I've done very little PT. Though I have my post op exam tomorrow and hope to get the green light on aqua therapy and other, more rigorous exercises.
Thank you Surfacehippy .... you've been a wonderful resource
Andrew

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM