+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Going back to work?  (Read 1638 times)

littleb

Going back to work?
« on: November 26, 2010, 03:40:29 PM »
I am at my biggest issue now that I am at 3 months. I have a very physical job that requires me to stand most of the day (maybe 45 mins out of often 14 hours), unload trucks with may boxes weighing over 50 lbs ( a requirement of the job), pushing and pulling carts loaded with these boxes, bending and stretching from floor to a hight of about 6+ feet to stock shelves (I am 5'2") along with my other managerial jobs. My injury at this job was what lead ultimately to the HR. I have been told my injury was more like what one would see with high impact sports. I see Dr. Su on 11/30 and though most people would already be back to work, I am afraid My bone isn't ready for the assault. Working with restrictions is no longer an option at my job. In this economy, finding another job is not that easy if I wish to make the same amount of money.

I still have pain at the incision and ROM is better but not perfect. Muscles still ache when pushed and refer pain to my knee. My limp sneaks back when I get tired.

Anyone else have this situation? What did you do? What would you do?
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

moe

Re: Going back to work?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 06:14:08 PM »
I would take as much time as possible out of work to get your full strength and mobility back. Try some specific workouts with weights, bending and lifting that mimic your work. Your body will tell you when it is ready. I don't believe you should return to work before you are ready. Many here have returned to strenuous jobs and sports, but you don't want to mess it up now. Definitely get Dr Su's opinion. I was out of work for 3 months, but my job is not as demanding as yours. Today I'm at full strength and can do anything I want. Good luck, moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

hipnhop

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 08:34:16 AM »
Littleb, it might be time to start thinking about how to reinventing yourself so you can get a less physically demanding job. I know the economy is rough but now is the time to start planning and educating yourself for what may become your dream job. Think of  it this way, if you never had your HR, you may never have discovered the career of your passion.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

mickoc19

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 12:42:51 PM »
Your employer should have provide a return to work plan taking into account that you have had major surgery and ease you back into work with lighter duties for the first week  or two.  Are you a member of a union at work?  Your union representative will be able to advise you.  If you return to work and they can't accommodate this plan and you have to go sick again you could sue the company. 

littleb

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 01:56:09 PM »
No union and no real easing back into work. I have watched what has happened with two other managers who came back after surgeries. One was only allowed back as an assistant and word is he will never be a manager in this company again = less pay even though he now does just about everything he did before short of setting the schedule. The other was told 100% or no, came back trying to make it and was fired cause he couldn't keep up the pace expected/required. This is not the economy to be looking for a job from the fired position.
I actually am looking at something better but that is about 6 months away at the earliest if all goes well. Unfortunately I cannot live on air till then.

I have read many times that the risk of fracture is highest between 3-6 months. I am a woman with a slightly low DEXA score for my hips only (discovered in my pre surgical testing). The endo doc said then once I'm healed I shouldn't really worry much about fracture as the low score hips only could be from inactivity ( I was out of work 2 months prior to surgery). He also put me a mega dose of vit D since that was very low.

After all I've been through in over 2 1/2 years, first scoping, back to work for 1 year with increasing pain to the point I couldn't walk at times and hurting my back as well, then the HR. I just don't think I could take screwing this up because I keep trying to do more than my body was ready for. I don't know that I am willing to admit defeat in regards to the possibility I may never be able to do this job again. Much of my reasoning for having HR over THR was that I should be able to do what I did before. It's funny that my job is as hard on the body as many strenuous sports that I'd be warned away from for 6 months to 1 year. But it's work not a sport so not really seen with the same eye.

I'm not just trying to milk it and avoid working. I am a very hard working person and actually hate being idle. I just find myself fearing breaking my hip and having to start all over again. That would be beyond depressing.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

gazza

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 05:02:23 PM »
If you can get 8 to 12 weeks off work then I think this would be the best thing to do. I am a male 48 yrs 6'1 and around 200 lbs. I would have stuggled with your work load! Carrying 20kg was a little difficult (felt sore) for a few months. Your hip has to last for the rest of your life, the first few months are very important.. I am very lucky here in the UK, my employer  gave me 6 weeks off work then I had a back to work plan that lasted 6 mts and meant that I did'nt have to lift and carry more than 20kg for more than a few mtrs.  Lifting , bending and reaching will make you feel sore for a good few months. Hope you can come to some arrangement with your employer... All the best Garry
LBHR 03 Nov 2009 Mr T.M. Abuzakuk  Derby, England

tcarroll

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 10:25:27 AM »
Hey Man,

Been there and done it,i too was scared about going back to work.I had BHR done on Ma7,2010.Went well went through PT,plus i did my owm stuff.I am in the Electrical Utility Industry,have been for over 30 years.Very physical and demanding job.I knew when i went back it was going to have to be slow and easy.I went back ar 17 weeks.Of course my employer said the same thing we have no light duty,unless you happen to be one of there fair haired boys,But i got through it,i was scared at times and still am.It's only been 7 months now.I took my time and was very careful at all the moves i made and still am.I know they were watching me so i made sure i could perform my job,you know how big business and corporate America are, they don't give a Rat's Pa Tutty about the Working Man.So hang in there my friend,take it slow and easy and be careful you will make it.I did.

littleb

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 03:31:57 PM »
Saw Dr. Su and I will be staying out of work still. Muscles are still weak and causing the knee pain. I guess some of us are slower than others. Of course as I was crossing the dark street in the rain last night on my way home my knee started to give out causing me to do a split down to the ground. Luckily I didn't hit the hip but the soft tissues are still screaming today. Apparently the new crosswalk stripes are like latex, no traction. You all be careful out there.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz