+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2 weeks post op tomorrow  (Read 2131 times)

jrozovics

2 weeks post op tomorrow
« on: November 28, 2010, 01:30:37 PM »
I had my surgery on 11/15 (LBHR) and it will be two weeks tomorrow.  I see the surgeon on Tuesday (11/30) for my first post op visit.  So far, everything has been going better than expected.  I will be on crutches for three weeks (one to go!) and then I will start walking unassisted.

I am very happy that I finally had the resurface procedure done. It has been five years of a slow downhill fall with pain and stiffness (especially the last year).  I just turned 40 and am still very active. I knew I was making the right decision when during my "pre-op" class, I saw someone a little bit older than myself using a cane.  After chatting with him, the main point he made was he wished he did the procedure sooner.  He was getting a THR since his hip was completely messed up from an acccident. 

My main activity is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu which I've been doing for 14 years.  I could still do it (barely); in fact I rolled two days prior to surgery.  My left hip was almost frozen and I was developing issues with my other hip as well.  Everytime I tried to stretch my hip and get a little flexibility, it would return to back.

One of the greatest benefits from the surgery is that my spirits have gone up to an all time high.  The majority of my time being laid up has been watching and studying BJJ instructionals and I cannot wait to get back already.  My surgeon has told me to wait six months and I understand that it might take over a year to be fully recovered.  I've been seeing an in-home PT and using my spinning bike.  This has helped out a lot.

Thanks to all for posting your thoughts on this forum; reading about everybody's progress and journeys is very uplifting and provides great insight.

-LBHR Dr. Mark Dolan, Northwestern, Chicago

jjmclain

Re: 2 weeks post op tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 08:38:39 AM »
Hi,

Are you using any resistance on your spin bike? I do not have a spin bike at home, just my bike on a trainer, and due to degree restrictions and the fear of falling, I do not want to use that. I was thinking of hitting the gym this week and getting back on a spinner bike. I teach spinning but am off until after the first of the year. I am just over 2 weeks since my surgery. I have been walking a lot, but would like to do some other form of exercise. I am restricted to 50% weight bearing with crutches for 3 weeks, and then am able to go to one crutch this Thursday. I really think I could walk on my own right now, but I am listening to my doc's orders.

Do you have any pain at night? I feel great during the day. But my leg is still a little swollen and bruised all the way down the back of it (possibly due to the coumadin my doctor requires me to take for 4 weeks) and at night I am so uncomfortable sleeping. I have been doing my own PT in addition to someone coming a couple of times a week to the house. It is kind of too easy! So any thoughts on getting back on the spinner bike would be appreciated.

I am a triathlete and fitness instructor so this inactivity is driving me nuts!!!

June

jrozovics

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 04:29:40 PM »
I am not using any resistance on the spin bike.  I have it at the lowest setting and the seat as high as possible.  I'm using my crutches to help me get on the bike which has worked. 

I really have never taken a spin class, but I used the spin bike to help loosen up my hip joints during regular work outs.

I thought that this would be a great exercise during recovery as well as after, so I want to start doing some formal spinning when my doctor clears me.

I don't have any pain at night.  My only discomfort is sitting for a long period of time.  I'm trying to get up to move around every 30 minutes.

Since you are a triathlete, when are you going to start running?  I love running, but I'm going to do low impact exercises for cardio for a long time.

jjmclain

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 06:34:20 PM »
Spin classes are great! Great form of cardio as well as strength, depending on the resistance used and the hand position and body position. As far as running, I will start back as soon as I get the okay from my doctor. I imagine the earliest would be at the 6 month mark. Some doctors make you wait a year. I race mainly Ironmans and Half Ironmans and I have noticed that there are a few athletes that have raced at 5 and 6 months post op. I plan to continue to race for a long time, so to be on the safe side I will listen to my doctor. He is pretty conservative so I doubt he would let me run sooner than 6 months.

I also have my bike on a trainer at home, but until my ROM is back completely I will not even attempt that!

It is amazing how different everyone's post op recoveries are. I wish I didn't get pain in my leg at night. I seriously think it is from the surgery...the dislocation that takes place at the start of the surgery. My leg is black and blue and sore in places it has never hurt!

Good luck to you!

rgr

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 07:34:05 PM »
I would like to know how your return to Brazilian Jiu Jistu has been going over the past two years.

Jagcanes

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 08:20:58 PM »
I too have avoided a training bike due to the 90 degree range restriction but I did go to the gym and get on the recumbent bike.  With the seat way back I could easily pedal without worrying.  It felt good on the hamstrings.  They are really sore from not being used for over 2 years and need to stretch back to normal.  I am 4 weeks post surgery today and just had my first full day without my cane.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 11:30:11 AM »
Good to hear you doing well, Jr.

Whatever you do, make sure it's with your doctor's blessing.  There are a lot of martial artists in here, and I'm sure they'll chime in.  I don't know how much kicking you do in BJJ, but I would work back into that amount of impact very s.l.o.w.l.y.  You've got your whole life to do it, so what's a few extra months?
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 02:11:39 PM »
Best regards for an uneventful recovery, sounds like you have a positive outlook and plan to get back to normal, which should help alot.  Be sure to follow your surgeons restrictions to the "T"; and remember that patience is both the most important and most difficult aspect of this recovery.  You are relatively young and have many years of life ahead of you so be careful as you consider getting back to the things you love, possibly too soon.

I'm amazed how many people here have martial arts backgrounds.  I often wonder if it has something to do with some of my hip issues; my 4 years of experience from college days (25+ years ago) was the first time I ever had hip pain, related to stretching, high kicks and such, and until the OA manifested itself, I never had issues in between with hip pain.

Best of luck going forward,

dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz