+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: X rays and MRI scans  (Read 2480 times)

nirvana

X rays and MRI scans
« on: November 25, 2007, 12:27:46 PM »
I am delighted to have discovered Pats site. I have spent the last 6 months going to 2 different consultants and have had 2 different diagnosies -one said its my back the other (the one I trusted) my hip. I am very active 62 year old love kayaking and hill walking. .
At this time I have been told ,after 2 lots of x rays and 2 MRI scans that my hip is not yet bad enough for THR, but my life is on hold and I am increasigly restricted.
My main query is  why does no one visting the surgeons recommended on this site mention xrays and scans before the operation. Is this because they have sent the surgeon xrays etc prior to going for the procedure? This is important to me because hip resurfacing cannot be done in my country and I would need to travel to a recommended, experienced surgeon. Best Wishes and thanks, E.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: X rays and MRI scans
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 01:23:22 PM »
Hi E

Most everyone either has their x-rays or the surgeon they go to does them while they are there.

If you want to get a free opinion from several of the best hip resurfacing surgeons in the world, you just have to write to Dr. Bose of India and Dr. De Smet of Belgium.  I also think Dr. Rubinstein in IL is doing free email consults too.

Send them an email with your x-rays attached in a digital format.  If they are not in digital format, you can take a digital photo of them and attach it to the email as a .jpg   Make the file about 500 pixels wide or 500 pixels long.  Don't make them too large. You can just hold your x-rays against a window during the day without the sun shining on them.  It is a good background for a photo. You can also take photos of them at your doctors while they are on his little x-ray light window box.

If you get some opinions from the really experienced surgeons, then you will know where you stand. If it is not time to have a hip resurfacing, it is not time.  I am waiting on my right hip. I had my left done, but Dr. De Smet told me it is not time to do my right.  The really experienced doctors will not do any hips that are not ready to be done.

What country do you live in?  It seems that hip resurfacing is done in most countries now.  Here is a chart for the cost of going to overseas doctors  http://www.surfacehippy.info/costcomparison.htm  The whole medical portion with Dr. Bose in India is only $6000   Pretty inexpensive compared to the USA doctors.

Pat Webmaster/Owner Surface Hippy
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

nirvana

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 02:52:35 PM »
Pat , Many thanks for your helpful reply. I will send a digital photo of my x ray to Begium for an opinion. I live in the Republic of Ireland. As far as I am aware the surgeons here do not offer resurfacing and I am considering , as my nearest option (and a surgeon on your "experienced" list) Dr Treacy in Birmingham England). Somewhere on your site I read of a U.S man whose bill came to over $30,000 for a all in english procedure. I find it a little ironic that I have been paying for private medical insurance for many years without  needing to claim. If i go to another country they will only pay out if the proceedure is not available in Ireland and if the surgeon approves it, The same surgeon who can only offer THR and is hardly going to recommend the opposition!!!  I am very new to all this and it has all come on in the last 8 months. I am considering the Birmingham Smith and Nephew device but do we have a say in the choice of device to be fitted?
Many thanks for you help. Best wishes E.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 03:17:55 PM »
Hi

You are the second or third person from Ireland asking about a hip resurfacing surgeon on Hip Talk. I am glad that we are able to talk to people world wide and share information.

Mr. Treacy is an excellent surgeon and has done over 4000 hip resurfacings. My friend Vicky Marlow, who helps me gather info for the website met him recently in Florida at an Orthopedic Conference.  She was very impressed with him and Mr. McMinn.  Both were very friendly and open in sharing information with her for my website. 

Leslie wrote to me and shared her experience with Mr. Treacy  http://www.surfacehippy.info/leslietreacy07.php   Here is a list of her costs  http://www.surfacehippy.info/leslieamackercostsurgery.php

It costs about 17,000 Euros  dollars for De Smet recently for Kani  http://www.surfacehippy.info/leslieamackercostsurgery.php

The BHR is the most widely used hip resurfacing device, Birmingham Hip Resurfacing.  Many doctors will also use the Wright C+ if they don't have quite the right size of the BHR. Dr. De Smet often uses the Wright C+    The hip devices are all very similar.  The most important thing is to use a really good experienced surgeon and let them decide what is best for you.

Good luck and stay in touch.  What part of Ireland do yo live in?  My great, grandfather's name was O'Boyle and came from Ireland - but I don't know anything about him. Wish I did. Of all the photos I have ever seen, Ireland looks like a beautiful country.  I play the accordion and love to play Irish music.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

nirvana

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 10:17:10 AM »
Hi Pat, I live in Dublin area of Ireland. Since I wrote last I have packed in a lot of research. I am Stillconsidering the Birmingham replacement in England but am trying to get an appointment With Mr McMinn having taken your advise and emailed a recent xray of my hipto him. Please encourage your members to visit www.mcminncentre.co.uk and go to the case history section, it lifted my heart with hope , at last , I was almost in tears at the sincere testimonials expressed there. Will keep you in touch with developments. regards E.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 10:47:12 AM »
Hi

Mr. McMinn is a great surgeon.  Don't forget Dr. De Smet in Belgium and also Mr. Treacy in UK, both do a lot of patients from other countries.

Did you read the personal stories I have posted here  http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories.php  There are some McMinn stories too.  Also the athletes stories are very inspiring http://www.surfacehippy.info/athletes.php

I wish you Good Luck.  Hip resurfacing has helped many people worldwide.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat