+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 4 Weeks Post Op  (Read 1852 times)

jjmclain

4 Weeks Post Op
« on: December 10, 2010, 06:48:05 PM »
I had my 4 week post-op appt today after a LBHR on 11/10. Things looks great! What a difference in the x-rays pre-op (end stage arthritis caused by AVN from a bike crash) compared to my new hip! I was cleared to walk without any crutches now. My surgeon is very conserative and limited me to 50% weight bearing with 2 crutches for the first 3 weeks and then one crutch, no weight bearing limitations. I am an athlete so it has taken a lot of resolve to listen to my doctor's orders. But I have and will continue to be conservative because I am a small female and therefore there is more of a risk of a femur neck fracture. Luckily my bone is strong! I look forward to getting back to racing (I am a triathlete) eventually, but I figure I have the rest of my life to do that...so now the real rehab begins! I am truly excited to get back in the pool swimming and back on the bike (but I will stay indoors until spring). The last four weeks, I have been walking with crutches working up to 2-3 miles a day, but it has felt like nothing compared to my former self! I will find out at my 4 month appt when I can run again.

I can't say my recovery has been easy though. Days are great, but nights have been hell due to the bruising and swelling in my operated leg. Apparently a few people (and I was one of those unlucky ones) get bleeding through the tissues which causes the bruising. It is very painful! It mainly bothered me at night so my husband could hear me crutching the house until I felt better! Laying down for long periods and sitting was very uncomfortable and has just gotten better the last week. It isn't completely gone, but now that the doppler showed no blood clots I am cleared to stop the coumadin (another protocol of my surgeon) which I think will help matters. Now that I have no degree restrictions and i can do more, I think things will progress very well.

I would highly recommend my surgeon, Dr. Andy Engh, of Anderson Orthopedics in Virginia. The website only shows him as having done 100 resurfacings but I think his number is near 1000. First class all the way from the first visit, through the surgery, etc.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: 4 Weeks Post Op
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 07:57:19 PM »
Thanks for the update.  I am glad things are getting better.  Sleeping is a problem with many people for many reasons.  HOpefully, it will get better. 

Doctos don't usually want patients to run for at least 6 months.  Especially if you are a small female.  Best to be conservative.

I will update Dr. Engh's stats.  Thanks for the information.

Good Luck and I will look forward to your future posts when you are fully active.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

jjmclain

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 07:56:35 AM »
Thanks Pat! As anxious as I am to get back into racing, if he makes me wait a year instead of 6 months to run, I will have no problem with that. I will keep you posted on my progress. Thanks again for such a wonderful site!

littleb

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 01:48:18 PM »
It mainly bothered me at night so my husband could hear me crutching the house until I felt better!

LOL. I stayed at my daughter's house initially after surgery and my son-in-law said he got nightmares from the cha-ching...cha-ching...cha-ching during the night. Crutches just cannot be made to be quiet.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

jjmclain

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 09:51:07 PM »
My husband claims it is worse than his snoring!!!! Doubt it!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear