+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: HR Technicians  (Read 1138 times)

hipnhop

HR Technicians
« on: December 16, 2010, 02:31:36 PM »
I am scheduled for Dec 27th. It will by my DOcs first time doing HR. She has done numerous THRs. I was informed that Smith Nephew Technicians will be in the OR with her. Anyone else had techs in the OR? Should I head for the hills? I am nervous!!!!!!
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: HR Technicians
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 04:38:07 PM »
It is quite normal to have a medical rep in the OR.  They do not assist in the hands on surgery, but know a great deal. I can understand you being nervous being her first one.  I would only hope that she has done a great deal with another surgeon and not just a few practices on a cadavor.  Did you ask her how much hands on experince she has?   If she does THRs she at least is use to placing the acetabular cup, but in resurfacing the angle is very critical. 

Using an inexpiernced surgeon does not mean there will be disaster, but the odds are 4% of the people will have problems or revisions.  That only means 4 out of 100 people will have problems.  That is not a great risk, but in most cases I try to get people to use the very experinced surgeons so they are not a statistic.

You have to do what you have to do.  If there is no other choice and you can't travel, then you will be her first resurfacing.  Every surgeon had a first BHR patient and they have to find them somewhere. 

So I would say that you need to go into the surgery with a positive attitude or cancel and get one of the more expiernced surgeons.  If you have chosen her, then have faith in her.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Tommy

Re: HR Technicians
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 04:42:47 PM »
I had 2 smith&nephew reps in my or. Day 2 in the hospital they came to my room to see me and thank me for letting them see the surgery. I didn't know they where going to be there. I got the surgery report from the hospital and there where 8 different Dr's and 1 PA that was in the or. I was the first BHR in this Hospital and so I was something of a novelty.
                                       Good Luck    Tommy
Dr Tupper  LBHR  6/02/09
Oklahoma
DR Gross Biomet uncemented RHR 5/6/22

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM