+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2 years after my resurfacing, feeling good but with some concerns  (Read 3012 times)

Leonardo

Hi my friends,

I'm now 2 years after my resurfacing and doing great.
Although I'm feeling good, almost every night before I go to sleep I'm concern about how long my hip will last…. Is this normal???
In addition (and this may be because I'm a person that always need to be in control and prepare for the future) I wonder, god forbid, if one day I will need to do a revision, how would I know? I mean… may be one day I'll not be able to walk, just like this…. or it will start with pain…… (I fly quite often because of my work)
I'm really a positive person and I hope that I'll never need a revision in the future, I just want to be prepared….
Hope that with your experience you can provide me some light here….

I don't regret at all about the operation, it really gave me my life back.
BTW, I go to the gym 2-3 times a week, I also swim and do Tai Chi (very recommended)

Thanks to all  :),

Leo.

Leonardo

Re: 2 years after my resurfacing, feeling good but with some concerns
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 07:16:46 PM »
Forgot to tell you, I'm only 38

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 11:46:18 PM »
Most often the beginning signs of needing a revision is pain, but then why think of the negatives?

Most experienced doctors now have percentages of around 97-98% retention @ 4+ years, when you consider most femoral neck fractures happen within 6 months, loose acetabular cups show within a year and a half or so, you are in a really good statistical range my friend.

Think positive, that metal on metal device is designed to outlive you, keep the faith as many doctors are starting to say that most of us will carry our devices to the grave, that's what I am hoping for after another 40 years.  ;-)

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 09:28:58 AM »
Hip resurfacing and THRs can all become lose when they get old.  How old - no one knows.  Some people never have revisions.  Again, it depends on how well your bone remains attached to the components.  There is no reason to lay at night and worry about it.  THere is no way to tell.  Most of us are planning on taking our hip resurfacings to heaven with us!  LOL    ;D
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 09:31:56 AM »
  THere is no way to tell.  Most of us are planning on taking our hip resurfacings to heaven with us!  LOL    ;D

Pat,

When I go to Bally's I always use the sauna so I know the temperature of the place I am going to   ;D

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Leonardo

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 10:13:13 AM »
Many thnaks for your replies!!!
I feel better now  ;)

crash1992

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 08:13:20 PM »
Hey Leonardo,
I am also 38, I just had a cormet resurfacing less than 3 weeks ago.  I also think about it quite a bit, but not every night.  All I can say is every day that passes is a blessing as we are so young and the THR takes so much bone at least we are one of the lucky ones that was able to have the resurfacing as our first choice.  I am a small framed female and aware of all my risks in failure but know I made the right decision.  I just moved to Sweden from Canada and they woudl not eve do a resurfacing here in Sweden on me as a small female. 

As another poster mentioned now 2 years in, I bet you will have that resurfacing metal in you for a very very long time.  Also, I have read that after 2 years time the wear particles are less, so your body will be dealing with less metal ions/particles, so I think you may have reached a nice milestone.
I hope I get to your point and beyond.
All the best

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat