+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bilateral Slipped Epithesis  (Read 2459 times)

PJ5

Bilateral Slipped Epithesis
« on: December 28, 2010, 04:13:09 PM »
I'm 51 y.o. and had bilateral slipped epithesis in both hips at age 16.  Following the "corrective surgery" my range of motion laterally was greatly reduced.  I am now not too far down the road when I will have to have either HR or THR on one or both hips.  My left is worse than the right.  I am very active...tennis, golf, water skiing, etc. and am getting to the point that the discomfort from these activities, although not unbearable, is starting to get more bothersome.  I have much more research to do along with speaking with some doctors (which I have started) before I make the decision to move forward.  My question is this; has anyone had the bilateral slipped epithesis before HR and what was the outcome of the surgery?  How did the doctor deal with the angle of the implant due to the BSE?  Do you have a better "range of motion"? Any other info you can share?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

PJM

ohiotim

Re: Bilateral Slipped Epithesis
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 08:58:34 PM »
I'm in the same boat,BSE at 15 yrs old ,now 38
Planning on doing both this summer.My doctor hasn't mentioned anything about allignment issues.The only concern he has told me is that I have a bone spur or cyst right where the edge of the resurface stops.
I plan on posting my progress so check back.
RBHR 6/22/11 LBHR 8/3/11.DR Sharat Kasuma, Grant Bone & Joint Center, Columbus, Oh.

Lopsided

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 08:47:06 AM »
For those of us (me) who don't know what an Epithesis is and what happens when it is slipped, can you explain? Thank you.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

andybc

• Right BHR November 25 2010 Sarah Muirhead-Allwood
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 01:06:26 PM »
Well, it's actually an "epiphysis" (at least that's the way we spell it in the uk).
It's the growth plate in the region of the top of neck of the femur. It's where the top end of the femur grows and it usually fuses (solidifies) in the mid teens. Until this time it's vulnerable and may "slip" i.e. the top end (femoral head) tends to move upwards relative to the femoral neck. It happens more in males than females, for reasons that are not clear, but maybe they are just more active and it's also more common in overweight teenagers. Trauma is another cause. Often it occurs for no obvious reason.
It causes pain in the hip and sometimes just the knee, which may cause the diagnosis to be overlooked.
Early diagnosis and treatment are essential if long term hip problems are to be avoided.
Treatment is usually surgical and involves putting a pin through the fermoral neck into the femoral head to restore normal alignement and keep it in good position.

Andy BC

BrianW1998

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 09:02:36 PM »
Count me in, I had a slipped Epithesis at the age of 14.  I was not overweight, just very active in contact sports.  I had surgery on my left hip in which they inserted a screw, which was removed a year later.  It was suggested at the time to have the other hip pinned, that I may suffer premature osteoarthritis issues, but my parents thought it was not neccessary since it was not slipped nor causing me any pain.    Now at the age of 52 I have severe osteoarthritis and I am scheduled for a HR on the non slipped epiphtysis hip on 2/8/10.  The epithesis operated hip however hasn't caused me any pain since my surgery, however my orthopedic doctor told me that from a recent xray, a HR on that hip will probably be in my future... oh joy!  He also mentioned they are not agressive with surgery in dealing with slipped epithesis as much as they have in the past.

PJ5

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 08:44:37 AM »
Brian,

Your situation sounds too familiar to mine, although I had both hips pinned.  Your comment does beg one question however.  Did your doctor say why they were not as aggressive in HR on SE? 

PJM

BrianW1998

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 06:19:47 PM »
PJM,

No, even though they still do treat SE the same way now, with surgery, he personally is more careful in doing that, if for any reason other then because it does restict your freedom of movement.  I think all of this is more to do with, if you have a SE, you most probably have some genetic issue with the hips and will have a greater chance of having a HR.  Not to be misinterpreted that those who have had a SE surgery, will cause problems in later life.

thanks,
Brian

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat