+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: BHR Resurfacing vs. Total Hip Replacement (THR)  (Read 3072 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
BHR Resurfacing vs. Total Hip Replacement (THR)
« on: January 03, 2011, 10:03:44 PM »
Pat posted message for DavidC
Hello

I’m a 53 year old fit and active male living in the UK who until recently enjoyed hiking, off-piste /back country skiing and cycling.  Following a consultation with a leading UK surgeon I was advised to have a BHR, which seems to make sense, as the less bone is removed during the BHR vs. THR procedure.

However, I’ve just had a consultation with a very experienced French surgeon, who is adamantly against resurfacing, saying that the procedure is not used in France due to concerns of longevity and that he and other Continental surgeons are not confident about the stats from Birmingham.

So I’d be interested to receive feedback from others regarding this.

Many thanks!

David C

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: BHR Resurfacing vs. Total Hip Replacement (THR)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 10:12:23 PM »
David

There are many surgeons that don't do hip resurfacing that do not support it.  Most surgeons that do both will give you a better consultation as to whether you are really a candidate or not. They won't base it on negative press releases and bad medical studies.  One of the large medical studies which showed poor results for hip resurfacing was based on 30 associate surgeons learning to do resurfacing. Their results were poor.

If you look at the National Registries  http://www.surfacehippy.info/nationalregistries.php and positive info on resurfacing such as this video by Mr. McMinn of the UK  http://www.surfacehippy.info/mcminnnegativepr.php you will find excellent information that is not biased, but based on positive results.  HIp resurfacing is a very diffiuclt surgery and many surgeons just are not capable of performing it.  So they tend to talk against it and push THRs.  Since you are in the UK, you have some of the best surgeons in the world to consult with including Mr. McMinn and Mr. Treacy.  http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

You can also consult with my surgeon, Dr. De Smet of Belgium that has done over 3000 resurfacings.  If you send him an email with a copy of your x-rays in a digital format as a .jpg, he will give you a free email consultation. 

You should find out if you are a good candidate or not from the top surgeons.  Don't let some less experinced resurfacing surgeons discourage you.  You are very young and very active.  You want to continue to keep that level of activity after your surgery.

There are many surgeons that are confident in the statistics and medical studies about the BHR.  It is the most widely used hip resurfacing device in the world.

Please do some reading before making your decision. There are hundreds of sucessful personal stories just on my website   http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories.php and about 2500 people on this discussion group that have had sucessful hip resurfacings.  Can't beat those statistics - they are real and will talk to you and support you as patients.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Lopsided

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 06:05:16 AM »
...I’ve just had a consultation with a very experienced French surgeon...

He might have been experienced in some surgery other than resurfacing. So why not consult with a very experienced in resurfacing surgeon?

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

littleb

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 10:36:56 AM »
Just curious. If you live in UK why are you going to France for surgery? I understand there are good doctors in the UK who do resurfacing. If you are free to travel then look into Pat's surgeon by all means.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

andybc

• Right BHR November 25 2010 Sarah Muirhead-Allwood
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 10:58:33 AM »
My father always maintained that Brits shouldn't visit France in peacetime.
Andy

Lopsided

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 11:00:46 AM »
My father always maintained that Brits shouldn't visit France in peacetime.
Andy

Wish I had not. First time I went to France, I was shocked to see they live better than us.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

MFE

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 11:39:37 AM »
Hi
I am a 57 year old male December 2010 I had a THR large metal joint, I played a lot of squash up to 18 month before the op within six weeks I was back at the Gym, by April I was playing golf not played squash since as I promised I wouldn’t. My surgeon had also had a THR and we had a good chat about the pro and cons he also pointed out that they were doing less re-surfacing so I decided on the THR. The recovery depends on the individual I decided I would not sit and wait for things to improve I just got out there and did the work. the one downer I have had is believe it or not Spots and without acne prevention medication the spots bloom.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

MFE 

AlanN

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 05:46:46 AM »
Hi David,
Interesting, I have had a similar "dilema", see: http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=2194.0

I don't know if you have a date for surgery yet but I will be posting to let everyone know how I get on!

Good luck.
Alan
Motor Racing nut now with LHBHR ;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat