+-

Author Topic: Pending BHR operation at Spire Cambridge Lea Hospital  (Read 1980 times)

pwhite12

Pending BHR operation at Spire Cambridge Lea Hospital
« on: January 09, 2011, 10:16:31 AM »
I have read with great interest the discussions on the importance of choosing an experienced surgeon to conduct your BHR. I'm am 37 years old and will be going into Spire Cambridge Lea Hospital on the 20th Jan for my BHR (LHS). Unfortunately I have only recently discovered this site and the valuable feedback available. The surgeon who will be conducting my procedure will be Graham S Keene.

Has anyone had the BHR procedure conducted by Mr Keene?

Any feedback?

Thanks,

Paul. 

andybc

• Right BHR November 25 2010 Sarah Muirhead-Allwood
Re: Pending BHR operation at Spire Cambridge Lea Hospital
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 10:20:54 AM »
Not sure I've quite worked out how to direct you to the appropriate posting, so have copied and pasted this. Hope it helps. Alan saw Mr Keene.
Best wishes.

Andy

6   Hip Resurfacing General Questions / Hip Resurfacing Topics / Re: BHR (hopefully) scheduled for 29/01/11...  on: January 05, 2011, 06:28:23 AM 
Hi Alan,
No reason to suppose your surgeon is anything other than excellent, but why not get another opinion from one of the guys who you can email your xrays to as a jpeg.
It's always interested me that when patients go for a second opinion about a medical problem, they nearly always take the 2nd opinion as the correct one - seems to me the logical thing is to go for a third opinion if the first two are at variance.
I know this isn't quite the scenario in your case but it does seem that resurfacing is relatively difficult compared to thr and, just possibly, someone who has done thousands might view your case as relatively straightforward.
In terms of gym work - really working on your quads and glutes would be very good. I didn't do this enough and have a lot of muscle wasting. It'll bulk up eventually but I fancy my recovery might be a bit quicker if I had stronger quads.
You might like to take a look at a thread I started under post op issues - things I didn't expect in the post op period. Don't let it put you off, though! I'm just over 5 weeks post resurfacing and back at work; although it's still quite painful at times.
The best of luck whichever route you go down.
Andy 

pwhite12

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 09:36:48 PM »

Thanks Andy.

I hope to be sharing some positive experiences on this forum soon.

Paul.

AlanN

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 11:09:22 PM »
Hi Paul,
I'm having a proceedure in the same hospital on 29/01/11!

I must say that Mr. Keene is the second consultant I have seen regarding my (left too) hip.
The first did not even want to discuss BHR.

Mr. Keene has been open to the proceedure from the very first time I saw him.

I did quite a bit of research before choosing him and he has a good reputation for both BHR and THR surgery.
He was also highly recommended by a friend of mine who is a very well respected physiotherapist.

He did throw me a bit of a curveball however, read here: http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=2194.0

I am going to have my X-rays looked at by Mr. McMinn but to be honest I do have the greatest of confidence in Mr. Keene.
He has been totally open and honest with me from day 1.

Good luck with your op and stay in touch!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 11:12:03 PM by AlanN »
Alan
Motor Racing nut now with LHBHR ;)

pwhite12

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 12:07:29 PM »

I would agree with your comments. I feel he has been open and honest with me from the beginning. Mid last year we did try manipulation under anaesthetic + a steroid injection, but the benefits were short lived. We then agreed that the BHR would be the only logical alternative.  Last year Graham Keene has performed a 2nd THR on my uncle and he was very please with his work.

I hope to be back on the forum soon relaying a positive outcome to the op.

Fingers crossed!

AlanN

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 03:52:30 PM »
Hi Paul,
Been down the same route too with the manipulation etc.

You're only a few days away now...good luck and let us know how it goes.

I received an opinion from Mr. McMinn and he basically echoes almost to the very word Mr. Keen's opinion so I am now very comfortable.

Good luck again!
Alan

pwhite12

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 11:26:11 AM »

I'm now 3 days post my BHR conduct by Graham Keene at Cambridge Lea. The first evening / night after my operation was fairly tough and wasn't helped by the fact that the morphine was making me feel very sick. Things have improved a great deal since that first evening with my strength and confidence returning and the pain levels significantly reduced. I'm still not sleeping a great deal (3-4 hours), but I think this is partially down to the bed.
The good news is that I have just climbed my first flight of stairs this morning at have been given the all clear to go home tomorrow. Both Mr Keene & the physio have emphasised that I can only partially weight bear for the first 6-8 weeks. This (I'm informed) is due to the extent that the ligaments, tendons & muscles have been displaced during the operation. I was hoping to return to full mobility sooner than that, but will not take any risks.
I will post more updates on my progress once I'm back at home (looking forward to my own bed!).

Good luck this week Andy !

AlanN

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 03:52:24 AM »
Well done Paul glad it all went ok!

I have the added excitement(?) of waking up after my op on Friday not knowing what type of hip I have!

I assure you it'll be my first question!

Do as your told mate and good luck with the rehab.
Alan

Recent Posts

Re: A Fantastic Surgery Experience by imgetinold
Yesterday at 04:20:40 PM

Re: Dr. Pritchard - week November 1, by imgetinold
Yesterday at 04:18:37 PM

Re: viruses, and resurfacing by imgetinold
Yesterday at 04:17:26 PM

Re: viruses, and resurfacing by zippymon213
October 26, 2021, 01:21:55 AM

Advertisements