+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for Dr recommendations for Central New Mexico  (Read 2543 times)

lapslgg2

Looking for Dr recommendations for Central New Mexico
« on: January 13, 2011, 02:03:41 AM »
Anyone use Dr. Steven Jones of Northern New Mexico Orthopedics (in Santa Fe), or have any recommendations for doctors in the Albuquerque area?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Looking for Dr recommendations for Central New Mexico
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 08:53:22 AM »
Hi

Welcome to Hip Talk.  I am sorry, but I have not heard of your surgeon.

I always suggest that you use the most experinced hip resurfacing surgeons that have done a thousand or several thousand.  Normally, most people have to travel to use the best surgeons.  Few have them in their own backyard or even state.  There has been a lot of negative press and stories of revisions.  Many of the revisions occured from surgeon error in placing acetabular cups wrong.  Of course, the ASR has been recalled, but there are even a lot of ASR patients that don't require revisions.  Much of your post op pain and quality of recovery depends on the skill of the surgeon. We all have our own timelines for recovery, but the surgical skill of the doctor does make a difference.

So I encourage you to check out the top surgeons.  You can check my list and see the surgoens at the top.  http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

You have not mentioned your age, sex or build.  Your hip problems or your activity level.  The worse your hip problem, the older you are or the smaller you are - are all potential problems.  Many less expeirnced surgeons are bait and switch folks - talk resurfacing, but if the problem is serious, they switch to THRs.  Then you really need to know what they are suggesting.  Ask a lot of questions  http://www.surfacehippy.info/questionsfordoctor.php

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

lapslgg2

Re: Looking for Dr recommendations for Central New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 09:11:53 AM »
Hi Pat,

Thanks for the welcome.

I am a 58 year old male, 6'1" - 200 lbs, very active (or was until a couple of months ago). Played golf, visited the gym 3-4 times a week, hiked, etc.
The Dr I visited told me that I would need a THR but because of my age that I needed to wait as long as I could stand the pain because of the life span of the THR implants. He told me to start using the elevator instead of the stairs, and to stay away from the gym and limit my walking.
I won't be going back to see him!!
I have sent Dr Jones a list of questions (from your website) and am waiting to hear back from him, I will be doing the same with 2 other surgens in my area that perform resurfacing.
Unfortunatly the one surgen on your Dr list for New Mexico is not on my PPO list.
I may have to travel to have my hip done, but would prefer not to.

Thanks again for your info.

Gerald

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM