+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 10 months post-op speratic soreness in hip  (Read 1989 times)

kdono1961

10 months post-op speratic soreness in hip
« on: January 14, 2011, 10:20:57 PM »
Had surgery 10 months ago.  I am able to sleep, ride in a car and perform my role as a physical education teacher.  I do however experience soreness in the operative hip speraticlly.  When I model exercises for my class slight hops or impact still irritates my hip.  I was hoping I would be one of those patients who are out running but I am nervous that something might be wrong.  Is soreness at 10 months normal.

Kevin
kdono1961

obxpelican

Re: 10 months post-op speratic soreness in hip
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 11:16:39 PM »
Kevin,

Many patients complain about soreness post up even up until 18 months I've read.  Now if it's sharp pain that radiates into your back or down your leg when you move or put weight on it I would get some x-rays.

Everyone is different so don't always go by what you read as being totally normal.

I am 2 + years out and sometimes if I over do it I feel sore, but it's never been sharp pain.

Bursitis is often an issue, so is scar tissue.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

John C

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 12:56:39 AM »
Yeah, at 2 1/2 years I still have occasional soreness. I am confident that the hip is solid, as confirmed by x-rays and metal ion blood test. Never the less, our hips have been dislocated in surgery, numerous muscles and fascial layers cut, and metal hammered into bone. If someone experienced a war wound or car accident of that severity, they would expect to have some long term side affects. My new hip allows me to walk pain free; and to ski, surf, windsurf, play tennis, and pretty much everything that I want to do at a fairly high level. Therefore I do not begrudge the fact that it still has occasional soreness and twinges, and every once in while a little bout of bursitis that I treat with anti-inflamatories. I am very happy with the procedure, and feel that my hip still continues to improve at this point in time. I think that, for many of us, it may be unrealistic to undergo this much trauma, and not expect some twinges or soreness for quite awhile when it is pushed, as would be the case with most major traumas. I still feel that it is a great procedure for those of us whose hips were badly affecting our lives. and am very grateful for what it has done for me.
Specifically to your question, at ten months I was very nervous about jumping even a few feet on skis, or even jumping off a curb, and sometimes felt a little sore after small landings. I thought of this as pretty normal, and it continues to improve.

John
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

andybc

• Right BHR November 25 2010 Sarah Muirhead-Allwood
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 04:20:25 AM »
John,
I think you've summed it up beautifully. Especially your analogy with major trauma, which is what this sort of surgery is, of course.
Great to hear about your sporting activities because that's what I'm hoping to resume, but at only 7 weeks, it still seems a bit daunting. Have decided I won't ski until next season, although I know some have resumed within 4 to 6 months.
Andy BC

fenceman

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 01:06:32 PM »
I would like to second John & Chuck's post.  At 2+ years I have had a very similar recovery. I notice some of my biggest gains at 18 months and continuing improvement at 2 years.

Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat