+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 5 months this coming Tuesday.  (Read 1474 times)

pc

5 months this coming Tuesday.
« on: January 30, 2011, 01:39:57 PM »
I will be 5 months LBHR on Tuesday, Feb 1. My last update was a month ago after a check-up with Dr. Hickman. At that time things had progressed very well and he gave me a thumbs up to return to all activities. I was instructed to ease into more aggressive activities such as skiing and running. In essence proceed with caution, but return to the daily activities that I enjoyed. I am a 58 year old male who ran long distance, including 30 marathons, over a 31 year period. I logged over 80,000 miles during that time and up until my hip problem I ran pretty much injury free. After the hip was diagnosed, for either a replacement or resurface procedure, I took up cycling. I cycled for a year and a half and ultimately choose to go with a hip resurface, which was done the first week of September. As I have posted previously, I went into the operation well conditioned physically and started walking immediately after surgery (as strength would allow). The surgeon did a great job and accomplished a spot on angle with the resurface. My years of running and training provided the mental attitude to push hard with recovery and rest as needed. By my four month check-up I was walking briskly,from 4 to 10 miles daily, cycling a hour or so daily. I began increasing the resistance on the stationary bike as I could and by month four was back to my strength level prior to surgery.

The past month, since the sign off from my doctor, I have skied twice weekly (Saturday and Sundays), continued daily cycling and walking, and started some light jogging 3 times a week. I have kept the jogging on a treadmill at a 1 percent incline for 30-40 minutes at a 11-12 minute pace. I always warm up with 10 minutes of walking increasing the speed every two minutes until I reach a 5 minute per mile jog. The hip is performing perfectly. I do monitor for any soreness or fatigue as the doctor recommended. I know that there is a lot of discrepancy as to when to resume activities, but I do believe some of that schedule depends on prior and post-op conditioning levels. I am writing this as an example of what some patients can experience. My body has been used to two hour a day work outs for the past 30 plus years and  so what may appear as someone trying to over achieve is fairly normal routine for my body. I am always monitoring my aches and pains to help insure that I stay within an injury free zone.  But, I know that there are no guarantees. Everyone needs to experience their recovery at their own pace, but for anyone reading and trying to decide whether to move forward with the procedure hopefully, my recovery story offers a perspective that will move you forward to get it done and regain your mobility.

jjmclain

Re: 5 months this coming Tuesday.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 02:12:40 PM »
Awesome! I'm a triathlete at 2 1/2 months post-op so hearing your story brings hope!!! Sounds like you are doing great! My recovery is going well too!

BrianROC

Re: 5 months this coming Tuesday.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 09:28:53 PM »
Congratulations on your recovery.  I am almost seven weeks post-op on bi-lateral resurfacing.  I did a real slow session on the elliptical a couple of days ago and hope to build that into resuming running this summer.   

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear