+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: My Revision Story  (Read 7009 times)

ReneeP

My Revision Story
« on: February 05, 2011, 11:23:55 AM »
After years of hip pain due to undiagnosed dysplasia, which resulted in torn cartilage and arthritis worn to the bone, I had a BHR on November 8, 2010.  The recovery went very well for the first 3 weeks.  Other than a lot of fatigue, I had a relatively easy time getting back on my feet and was walking very well.  At the 3 week point, I started having increasing pain one day which I attributed to walking around too much, too soon.  It felt more like back pain that radiated around into my groin.  I went to see one of the PAs at my ortho surgeon's office, who felt that it was probably nothing serious since I didn't have a sudden searing pain.  He told me to stay off it and rest it a lot that week and use a lot of ice.  A week later, the pain was increasing and it was getting progressively more difficult to walk with the cane.

I called my ortho surgeon's office again and told them the pain was getting worse.  I went in for an x-ray and to see another PA.  She told me she thought I had tendonitis, and put me on crutches with partial weight bearing for a week.  She prescribed physical therapy also.  She told me that she saw a spot on my x-rays that wasn't there immediately post-op, but she thought it was nothing.  She was going to have the ortho surgeon look at it the next day when he would be back in the office.  I went home and set up a PT appointment for that Friday (the x-ray was on Wednesday).

Thursday morning, I woke up and something told me to call and make sure the surgeon looked at the x-ray before I started PT the next day.  I was afraid of doing PT if there was a fracture or a loose component.  I left a message for the PA and told her my concerns.  Early that afternoon, she called me and told me that I should "hold off on PT" because the doctor had looked at my x-ray and said that my hip was fractured and that he wanted to do a revision to a THR that Monday.  I was SHOCKED!  I really thought they would call and tell me all was okay and to go ahead and start PT.  I hung up the phone, burst into tears, and then got REALLY angry...it was like all the stages of grief went through me in a matter of hours.  I was so incredibly disappointed that the resurfacing had failed especially because I had followed all protocols, and all the activities I was hoping to get back to were now going to be impossible.

Nevertheless, I went that Monday...December 13, 2010...and had my revision.  The surgeon left the acetabular cup and added a large ball MOM component on the femoral side.  The recovery was a little different than the BHR.  The pain was different, more bone pain and more need for pain medication.  The night of surgery I insisted on getting out of bed to use the bathroom.  I paid for my stubbornness when I got lightheaded and passed out on the floor of my hospital room.  I landed hard on my right knee which was the same side as my new THR. Luckily, the hip survived it well!  It turned out that I was very anemic the first couple of days post-op, and I did end up having a blood transfusion on post-op day 3.

My recovery at home went relatively well.  Other than the post-op fatigue, my hip felt pretty decent.  I did use more pain medication with the THR than the BHR, but I suppose that is to be expected when part of your femur is amputated.  I started PT earlier and it has slowly helped.  I am now just about 8 weeks post-op, and I am mostly pain free unless I overdo things. I have a lot of stiffness and tightness right near the incision, but it was cut twice so that is to be expected.  I had my 8 week appointment with my surgeon yesterday, and he lifted all post-op restrictions.  He said I can go back to exercising, and crossing my legs, and I can do pretty much whatever I want to do.  He said the ball is as big as the BHR ball was so it will be very difficult to dislocate.  He recommended that I don't do any running or hard impact type sports.  That is a little disappointing as I was hoping to get back to running, but it's a small price to pay to be pain free.  There are many other sports I can do instead.

As I reflect on my experience, I am ultimately happy with the outcome.  Although the disappointment of a failed BHR was incredible, I am very happy with the outcome of the THR.  Bottom line is that I am pain free after YEARS of hip problems, and I can do almost whatever I want.  The BHR may be the ideal, but when it comes down to it, it doesn't work for everyone.  A THR isn't the end of the world...in fact, it's opened up a world to me and for that I'm incredibly grateful to my surgeon.  The entire experience had the outcome I wanted...it just took a little more work and little more time to get there.

Renee
Renee

Right BHR 11/8/10
revised to THR 12/13/10
Dr. John Keggi

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: My Revision Story
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 11:44:46 AM »
Renee

Thank You for posting your story.  I am so glad that the revision went well and you are on the mend.  It's been a long road for you and I hope that you will finally be active and stay out of pain.  A THR is not the end of the world and not a bad solution - but not by the path you had to take. 

I will post you story on the main website also.

I wish you the best and hope you will give us an update now and then.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

FlbrkMike

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 01:12:45 PM »
Renee,

I can understand your bitter disappointment with the failed BHR.  With all of the waiting and preparation we do in advance of the surgery, on top of the years of pain and stiffness, we all place a lot of hope on this procedure.

I'm so glad to hear that your THR went well.  Chances are it will last forever and you will never need another revision.  Nevertheless, I have to admire your positive attitude through this ordeal.  I have no doubt that it has played a big part in your successful recovery.

Best of luck in your continued recovery.

Mike
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

John C

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 07:56:04 PM »
Now that is one great attitude. I wish you many happy years with your new hip.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

halfdone

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 06:40:04 AM »
I'm so sorry that you have had to endure such a tough road to recovery, but I hope that you will now enjoy many, many years of pain free use of your fine new hardware.
Best wishes, HD

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat