+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: House MD  (Read 1599 times)

littleb

House MD
« on: February 07, 2011, 10:59:20 PM »
I'm not sure how many saw the House episode tonight. Cuddy's mother very ill, heart problems, mental issues, rashes, dying. What was wrong with her? Her THR was poisoning her. The phone call from my daughter came within minutes. Sigh, Johnson & Johnson must be flipping out and I wonder what effect this show will have on the future of MOM anything. What do you guys think?
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

Tin Soldier

Re: House MD
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 11:34:41 PM »
I have to reply on this.  I did not see the show, because I stopped watching after the 2nd epsiode of the first season.  Anyway, now I want to see it, because I love to rant and rave and criticize, I sound like House, huh?  Maybe that's why I don't like the guy.  Sorry.

Did they get into the nitty gritty of Co and Cr toxicology?  Or was it more disconnected?

Interesting to see if there is any fallout, but I would gather that every episode of House or any med show would get some fraction of the medical community wound up, because of the inaccuracies. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

John11

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 02:35:25 AM »
My wife was watching in another room and asked if I was recording it for later. I asked why and all she said was juts don't watch it. She then asked whatkind of metal my is and I knew right away what the medical crisis du jour was.
John
RBHR 12/3/09
Revision to MOM THR 5/21/10

moe

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 11:12:45 AM »
I watch House often, enjoy it, formulaic but interesting. I don't think there will be much fallout, it's just a tv show. My favorite line was when Cuddy said to her mom, "you can to the other hospital, they will treat you nicely, and you will die. Or you can stay here (with House) be treated badly and live."

moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

littleb

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 09:53:47 PM »
It hit me where he was going when he went on about something that continued to poison her after there had been a mention of her THR. Dramatically he slices into her hip, Cuddy exclaims "The muscle is all black!!!. He mentions the metals by name, metalosis from excess wear and off she goes for a revision. Of course she gets to take the device home and we get to see it. Of course it it did all that damage it wouldn't have been so shiney.

I would not underestimate the power of House on many viewers minds. I got the call immediately from my daughter. John's wife asked about it too. My reaction was an immediate "oh crap."
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

Tin Soldier

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 12:17:46 AM »
Totally understandable how our lives can so easilly be fooled by Prime Time.  So I was sort of curious about the subject now since we've been dicussing metallosis and such, just so everyone knows some numbers, if you haven't seen them.  BTW - sorry for being a numbers guy, I know its a little boring.  In Pritchett's paper on Metallosis, "...only 2% to 5% have metallosis".  That actually seems high.  The paper is on this website, and there is no date.  In the document, Pritchett references back to Nasser, O'Neill, et al, 2010 (Incidence of Groin Pain after MOM hip resurfacing".  I bet there are a number of other studies on this subject, as well. So, again, I hate to be the guy sitting in the chair next to you while we're watching your favorite show and then go on about "that's not real, that really doesn't happen,..." but when it comes to our hips, I guess I want to see the real data.  I hope that's ok. :-\
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal