+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: What is the Best Bearing Type by Dr. Gross 2011  (Read 1445 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
What is the Best Bearing Type by Dr. Gross 2011
« on: February 21, 2011, 09:01:41 PM »
Dr. Gross has written an article about the best bearing types for both hip resurfacing and THRs. It is a comparison of modern bearing types. He explains that as a patient there are four reasons you should consider a metal-on-metal bearing for total hip replacement or resurfacing.

You can read the full article here http://www.surfacehippy.info/grossbestbearingtype2011.php

Pat
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 09:02:34 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

halfdone

Re: What is the Best Bearing Type by Dr. Gross 2011
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 07:28:04 AM »
Very interesting.  Thanks for posting.  It will be very interesting to look back in 2030 or 2040 (if we still around!) to see how the long term performance of various prostheses has played out. 

BTW, though I'm not a patient of his I really appreciate how Dr. Gross shares his perspectives and expertise with the hippy community.  I also know that he works very hard to make his services as accessible as possible to both insured and uninsured patients, which I am very sure they all appreciate!

23109VC

Re: What is the Best Bearing Type by Dr. Gross 2011
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 06:44:36 PM »
Dr. Gross also tries,to make his procedure afailable to people who might be considered poor candidates for resurfacing.  When i met with him he explained that he wanted to make the procedure avaipable to more people, not just males,under 50"with good bone stock. He said by taking on harder cases, it might lower his overall success rate stat, but he said that he learns from each case and can find out what works better with the less ideal patient..in hopes of making the surgery better for a wider range of patients.

I Think he was insinuating that other docs may have better stats simply because they manipulate them by refusing to do the procedure on higher risk patients.  He said if you moved his higher risk patients from his database, he would have a higher overall success rate,,

He really wants to help people, not just fudge stats.
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM