+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: A week to go  (Read 6753 times)

bdoughty

A week to go
« on: February 23, 2011, 01:54:43 PM »
At this time next week, I'll be going under at Boulder Community Hospital for LBHR with Dr. James Rector. Just had final pre-op visit yesterday, everything is tracking full speed ahead. Like so many, my anxiety continues to build. But he and his medical assistance Stacey were so positive; his parting comment was "see you next week, it'll be great!" Perhaps the most daunting thing on my mind now is the prospect of injecting myself with fragmin - Dr. Rector is very agressive in preventing blood clots - a shot a day for 20 days! Anyone share any experience with that?

This site has been most helpful in getting me to this point. To think, on Dec. 30 I didn't even know what resurfacing was, then to learn that one of the best BHR surgeons in the West is in my backyard - quite a blessing.

Now if I can just get my mind on work and other things until then...

obxpelican

Re: A week to go
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 01:59:56 PM »
Dr. Gross used to do that but I think he found studies that show aspirin every day is just as effective.

Post op I had to inject arixtra once a day for I think 3 weeks, it's not bad the needles are really small and sharp, really no big deal.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

bdoughty

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 02:58:31 PM »
Thanks, Chuck. Hoping so - I'm a bit of weinnie when it comes to things medical. BTW, where are you located? I love your Steelers profile pic; I'm from the 'Burgh myself, although have now lived longer other places (Florida, Georgia, now Colorado) than I did there, but grew up there until the age of 24. Still licking the wounds from SB loss!

einreb

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 03:01:28 PM »
I'm a week out from Dr Gross and will have a total of 12 injections.  After that its aspirin.

I once fainted while getting a shot, so to say that I don't like needles would be an understatement.

Its really not that bad.  The first couple times that you do it, you'll likely be a bit doped up on narcotics anyway and feeling brave.  I'm off the narcotics during the day and don't think much of the daily shot.  Don't get me wrong... I wont miss them.
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
Someone told me Dr. Gross started only aspirin, maybe they meant shots then aspirin only.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

FlbrkMike

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 04:00:09 PM »
I was supposed to self-inject Lovenox for 14 days, but my insurance wouldn't cover it.  My doctor said that 12 days would be enough so I bought the 12 dose box now have 2 left.  I had never given myself a shot before and was pretty hesitant the first time, but it's really no big deal.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

halfdone

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 04:02:08 PM »
In my first resurf I used TEDs but no anti-coagulants post discharge.  The new protocol in my second resurf involved a 30-day course of oral anti-coagulants called rivaroxaban.  It was approved in Canada and Europe in 2008 for blood clot prevention for hip and knee surgery patients and is currently undergoing trials for FDA approval. FYI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivaroxaban

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:29:38 PM by halfdone »

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 04:24:21 PM »
Both times, I only used 325 mg aspirin for a month. No anticoagulants previous to the surgeries. TEDs of course for 5 weeks.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 04:25:06 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

maxi

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 05:39:34 PM »
im on aspirin for 6 weeks after the hospital shots ..

bloody teds .. i hate the uncomfortable bloody things .. not using them now . but making sure i am keeping my legs as mobile as possible ..  :-\
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow...what a ride!"

FlbrkMike

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 05:43:26 PM »
I got rid of my TEDs when I left the hospital.  Sort of makes up for having to shoot myself up for two weeks, I guess.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Dayton96

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 07:22:17 PM »
Well, you could always get your spouse or significant other to give you the shots.  It might give you the opportunity of finding out if they have any hidden unhappiness with you!
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

ReneeP

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 09:00:06 PM »
My doctor did aspirin only, and no teds.  I'm glad about that...I don't think I would have wanted to give myself a shot.  But, I'm sure it'll be easy after the first time or two.  Good luck!
Renee

Right BHR 11/8/10
revised to THR 12/13/10
Dr. John Keggi

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 09:17:41 PM »
Dr. Gross was going to have me do 10 days of shots (a generic Lovenox equivalent), once a day then on day 11 switch to low dose aspirin, I believe it was for one month. I believe this is his standard regimen now.

Unfortunately 8 years ago I had a DVT (blood clot in my left leg) so he had me on the shots for 30 days and recommends I use aspirin forever. The HSR implants won't cause a clot, he just felt I should have been using aspirin ever since the DVT. I don't believe my primary care doc ever recommended it.

The shots aren't as bad as you think, it's a short needle and goes in easily. I don't like shots either. I was glad when they were over I think because it was just one more task to remember to do. More of a nuisance than anything.

I used to wear thigh length TEDS stockings every day on my left DVT leg only until I couldn't put them on due to my bad hips. I think I will start wearing them again soon because it does help with ankle swelling that I get when I'm on my feet for long periods.

bdoughty,
The shots aren't as bad as you think, you'll see. Good luck next week and let us know how you are doing.

Steve (newdog)
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

23109VC

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 12:54:53 AM »
I must had my hip done on 2/23/11.  I was told no more self injections, just aspirin..there might have been another drug.. Or maybe that injectable ismnow available as a pill?  Not sure, but they did tell me there would not be any self injections.

Good luckmwith your surgery!
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

einreb

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 08:31:17 AM »
I must had my hip done on 2/23/11.  I was told no more self injections, just aspirin..there might have been another drug.. Or maybe that injectable ismnow available as a pill?  Not sure, but they did tell me there would not be any self injections.

Good luckmwith your surgery!

I wonder if it depends on the individual blood workups?  I just had mine a week ago and am on shots for 10 days.  I'm also less active on the slow recovery path... dunno. Regardless, they will have you do what they think is best for you. :)
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

svanci02

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 11:35:37 PM »
I had right THR on 2/3/11 and had shots for 14 day and TEDs for 14 days, going in for left THR on 3/3/11 and will have shots for 14 days and TEDs 14 days again and of course exercise 3 times a day!
R THR 2/3/11
L THR 3/3/11

Tin Soldier

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 04:47:47 PM »
Aspirin is all my doc thought was necessary.  I like Bernie's idea, blood data might dictate certain anti-coagulant protocols.

Back to the subject on this - Bdoughty -hang in there!  I think the pre-op anxiety was by far the worst part of this whole experience for me so far.  Have a speedy recovery!

I need to change my signature - I'm 6 days post-op LBHR.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

halfdone

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 07:10:29 PM »
Good luck Wednesday.  Be doughty bdoughty.

bdoughty

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 03:16:24 PM »
In 24 hours I'll be in surgery. Thanks for all the input.  I picked up the injections - don't look too bad, should be able to handle. Appreciate the good wishes (particularly the "be doughty bdoughty"!)

23109VC

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 02:11:59 AM »
Good luck!  I was in your shoes 6 days ago.

I hope you aren't stressed out or nervous.  I was not terribly steressed but I was nervous.  In retrospect, there was nothing to worry about.  The most painful part of the surgery day was getting the IV!  Just a little prick....

You will feel so good to have your hip pain gone!  You will do great!
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat