+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: It's On!  (Read 1770 times)

hipnhop

It's On!
« on: March 03, 2011, 12:24:31 AM »
After five months from a devastating date with a Cortisone shot I am finally scheduled for HR with Dr Craig Thomas and Rinelda Horton of Washington DC on 3/17.

My doctor thought I had a severe hip infection but after several weeks of testing, I was diagnosed with end stage AVN. Kaiser Permantne offered me HR with a newly trained surgeon but due to the complexity of my case I asked for the additional of a more experienced HR surgeon. After waiting two months, it was approved. I met with Dr. Mont for a second opinion. He advised that I get surgery soon in order to remain a good candidate for HR. I hope ti is not too late.

Whether HR or MOM THR I will welcome the ability to walk again without crutches and eventually return to my  active lifestyle.  I am so anxious and nervous about the surgery. Thank you all for your posts and sharing your stories. It really helps.

Ed
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

hernanu

Re: It's On!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 11:01:03 AM »
Excellent! Either way (HR or MOM THR) I think your quality of life will improve greatly. Keep up the posts, it's great to hear good news.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

jjmclain

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 01:43:46 PM »
Good Luck Ed! I too had AVN (resulting from a bike crash), and therefore, end-stage arthritis. I had my left BHR performed by Dr. Andy Engh of the Anderson Clinic in Mt. Vernon Virginia. You are wise to go with an experienced surgeon in your case. Please keep us posted and any questions or advice you need, do not hesitate to ask!

June

hipnhop

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 03:45:43 PM »
June, did you have to take post op injections? I just heard that this was necessary. It sounds scary.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

jjmclain

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 03:48:47 PM »
My surgeon prescribed Coumadin, a blood thinner, which I had to be on until my 4 week post-op appointment. This is necessary after major surgery to prevent blood clots. I hated the Coumadin...it made my legs restless at night, made them hurt, etc. and I remained very bruised until I could go off of it. It seems like a distant memory right now but my husband could attest to how crazy it made me! Some surgeons use injections.

halfdone

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 10:03:50 PM »
Good luck Ed!

I think everyone experiences anxiety.  Lots of people here to help you through it.

(If you are really freaked out by the anti-coagulant injections, another oral medication option you could also ask about is this stuff
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivaroxaban
It seems to be a standard protocol now in the UK and Canada, and has already been recommended for FDA approval.
Can't hurt to ask your doctor about it.  I used it - it was fine for me - but I have heard that some get headaches from using it and switch to the injectable.)

FlbrkMike

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 10:18:30 PM »
I had to self-inject Lovenox for 12 days.  I was pretty skittish at first but it's very easy and almost totally painless.  The needle is only maybe 1/2" or 3/4" long and very thin.  You inject it in the fatty tissue about 2" either side of you navel (believe me, I have plenty of fatty tissue there).  They make the injection device almost completely idiot proof too.

http://www.lovenox.com/consumer/prescribed-lovenox/self-inject/inject-lovenox.aspx

If you have to do this, you'll find that it's a lot less of a challenge for the first week or so than putting on your socks.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 10:19:37 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz